IGNORED

Restoring brushed aluminum keys and cartridge door?

llopis

I have some 600XL that have some ugly metal keys and cartridge doors. I'm guessing those parts are brushed aluminum, right? Any tips to restore them? It looks like they've gotten some kind of oxidation, and they're not smooth to the touch.

The cartridge flaps and console key tops are iridite treated brushed aluminum. Where the surface of the console key tops have become worn away with use in previous years I have polished them back to the shiny Aluminium with metal polish as Jowi mentioned above. Last year I bought a 600XL which wasn't in the best shape, the console keys tops were scratched, worn and affected by bad storage. This time I set up a small wooden jig and sanded them down with low grit wet n' dry paper working up to a higher 1500 grit until all of the marks were removed, I then gave them an anodized look with a re-anodizing spray paint. They turned out quite nice in the end. If I had other things to paint I would have given them a 2k clear coat as well but they look nice as they are and will probably wear at least as well as the original surface.

Here's a before and after of the keys..

post-4724-0-57290000-1549633571_thumb.png

post-4724-0-40835500-1549633606.png

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 2

they are iridite treated brushed aluminum when coming from factory a clear plastic protective film covered them as well. depending on the factory it would be considered a chromate coating and arguements about whether it's iridite or clear alodine may ensue..... it is not anodized.

please amend your restoration tip.

Edited by _The Doctor__

just to give some food for though...

https://www.finishing.com/448/95.shtml

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/Iridite-Instructions.pdf

I just quick search my terms after the post, I have not checked all the info these sites provide, but a skimming says close enough...