IGNORED

Top 5 Rarest Atari XE Games

sixersfan105

I have been trying to archive all the Atari Corp. XE game manuals and the one that has been the hardest to find (still looking) is Summer Games. So Summer Games is at the top part of the rarest list. Best Electronics sold it for years but ran out of them years ago.

Allan

I have been trying to archive all the Atari Corp. XE game manuals and the one that has been the hardest to find (still looking) is Summer Games. So Summer Games is at the top part of the rarest list. Best Electronics sold it for years but ran out of them years ago.

Allan

It took me a while to find a Summer Games XE manual. Luckily, someone here on AA had one he was willing to sell to me for a reasonable cost. I hope one turns up for you soon.

• 1 year later...

(Thread Bump)

KARATEKA is selling in Italy for €500 / $586 CIB (auction says sealed /new but the shrinkwrap is in very poor shape).

7 Watchers. No sale yet and it's been available for a couple of weeks already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KARATEKA-Atari-XE-retrogame-Video-Game-Cartridge-XL-RX8095-BRODERBUND-SOFTWARE/254581043400

Edited by abbotkinneydude
Link Fix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interestingly, the shrinkwrap is neither shrunk nor wrapped, right around the spot where one would open it up and extract the contents. That puts it in open box territory for me. "...never been opened." It's a nice story (for someone who happens to be selling it).

At that price and condition, I'd say it'll be available for some weeks (months... years...) to come.

And why is he calling it "Karate Man" in the auction title? 

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Today I got FS II as a Hong Kong type cart. (okay, the label still says made in Taiwan, but the cart case was a Hong Kong one). To my surprise it had two thick manuals which I only knew from the sublogic disk release. So I looked at my collection and the new purchase and found this:

- two thick manuals, a) Pilot's Operating handbook and Airplane Flight manual, b) Flight Physics and Aircraft control, for the XE cart. released by Atari in 1987 (shown e.g. at atarimania); they used glossy paper there; ink appears black on the paper, screenshots extremely dark (e.g. on the title cover);

- only one thick manual (Pilot's Operating handbook and Airplane flight manual) for the XE cart. released by Atari in 1988 (not shown at atarimania); they did not use glossy paper; ink appears in dark grey on the paper, screenshots not so dark (e.g. on the title cover);

Since I could not find any differences regarding contents (except the last page / back cover which says 1987 on one and 1988 on the other manual) my question is, am I only missing the second manual in my collection which was made by Atari in 1988 -or- was Atari so cheap and once more saving costs by only printing one of the two FS II manuals in 1988 ?

FSII_frontandback_covers.zip

• Like 1

I have checked my collection. In Holland the XEGS included a Dutch translation of the manual, just one manual like your 1988 picture  and 2 flight maps. I have also the Norwegian version which is also one manual like the 1988 one (but a larger paper size) with 2 flight maps.

I have one English manual which is the 1988 one and that one included 2 flight maps too.

The Dutch version can be found here: https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/flightsim2_manual_nl.pdf

And the Norwegian one here: https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/xegs_manual_norwegian-watermark.pdf

I did not scan the English version as I guessed it was already out there ;-) 

No, you are not missing a manual.  It came with a Pilot's Operating Handbook and the Flight Physics and Acft Control manual.  There was also a Quick-Reference sheet on card stock (very handy to use) that basically tells you what buttons are used for all the controls include a diagram of the airplane with directional arrows.  The FSII was a pack-in with the XEGS.  It's a great program, hard, but very advanced.  In all these years, I have NEVER landed an airplane.  Or successfully navigated to another airport.  

• Like 1

XEGS carts were pretty easy to find in the Chicago suburbs back in the late 80's. I purchased them from Toys R Us, a small-chain computer dealer and a mom&pop computer dealer named Mars Merchandising that focused on Commodore and Atari computers. Though I didn't buy any of the games that had been previously released on cartridge or disk formats, as I already had most of them on original commercial carts and disks, so my eyes would have passed over those titles when searching for the rare new production.

Though if I had known that some of the classic arcade games had been redone, and not just re-released as I thought, I might have bought a couple of them. I lost all my Atari software in a move from the Midwest to California (all in one lost box except for a handful of titles), but I do remember I had: Into the Eagles Nest, Airball, Thunderfox and Battlezone,  I guess that is it. I didn't get any of the light gun games because I didn't have a light gun. Other titles new to the 8-bit, like Desert Falcon and Dark Chambers I purchased the 7800 versions, along with Commando, Xenophobe, Tower Toppler and Ikari Warriors that never officially made it to the 8-bits. Now the only XEGS games I own "in the flesh" are the proto-types Tower Toppler, Commando and Xenophobe.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

As to the original post…

1.  Summer Games

2.  Airball

These two are definitely the hardest to find now.  I loved Atari back in the ‘80s but never started collecting until about 2015.  I have 2 sets of XEGS games.  Set #1 is Sealed but I am missing Summer Games and Airball.  The 2nd set is open box with manual and carts.  The only items I am missing is the box and manual for Summer Games.

Currently there are 20 of the 30 XEGS titles available at three old friends sites.  Three or four will disappear very shortly.

If any one has any Opened box, Manual of Summer Games or Sealed Box Summer Games or Airball I would to negotiate as selling price.  My email is michael@mmmdj.com

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Ah I wasn't aware Bruce had any XE stock remaining. Oh snap, you landed that Karateka? Congrats, I suppose!

Bruce has 5, 6 or 7 of the more common XE Titles from $20 - $35.  You know the ones everyone else sells on eBay asking $60 - $100 for.  ;-)  

Once again:  I am looking for XE Summer Games and XE Airball.  I just paid $390 for Karateka.  So yeah there is that.  Any one have an extra or just needs post Christmas cash???  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Old Man Atari said:

Once again:  I am looking for XE Summer Games and XE Airball.  I just paid $390 for Karateka.  So yeah there is that.  Any one have an extra or just needs post Christmas cash???  

Have you tried posting in the Wanted section of the Marketplace here on AtariAge? Might get more eyeballs over there...

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/46-wanted/

Just now, sixersfan105 said:

Have you tried posting in the Wanted section of the Marketplace here on AtariAge? Might get more eyeballs over there...

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/46-wanted/

Sounds like a good idea.  I am very new to this.  How would I do that?  Where do I go?  I haven't figured out the navigating yet.

1 minute ago, Old Man Atari said:

Sounds like a good idea.  I am very new to this.  How would I do that?  Where do I go?  I haven't figured out the navigating yet.

Just follow the link I posted above. I'll link it again here. Then make your own post by clicking/tapping the orange "start new topic." Welcome!

• 6 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 2:57 AM, Old Man Atari said:

As to the original post…

1.  Summer Games

2.  Airball

These two are definitely the hardest to find now.  I loved Atari back in the ‘80s but never started collecting until about 2015.  I have 2 sets of XEGS games.  Set #1 is Sealed but I am missing Summer Games and Airball.  The 2nd set is open box with manual and carts.  The only items I am missing is the box and manual for Summer Games.

Currently there are 20 of the 30 XEGS titles available at three old friends sites.  Three or four will disappear very shortly.

If any one has any Opened box, Manual of Summer Games or Sealed Box Summer Games or Airball I would to negotiate as selling price.  My email is michael@mmmdj.com

OK so recently I did acquire a Summer Games Manual.  I am still looking for a sealed or open XE Summer Games and a sealed XE Airball.  If you have one or all, please contact me.  Again, my email is michael@mmmdj.com

• Like 1