IGNORED

MyDos 16MB ATR, how to extract/copy off files?

E474

I'm going to check out atariserver - it was on my to do list - and 8 * 16MB ATRs sounds like fun - I just need to build the interface cable with the logic level shifters, I'm using a first generation Raspberry Pi, so the GPIO pins are aren't the same for sio2bsd and atariserver.

You can use atariserver without a SIO command line attached (i.e. with only TxD and RxD lines), like sio2bsd - just use the "-N" option.

eg "atariserver -f /dev/ttyAMA0 -N ..."

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT

bitd mydos was a godsend for people who couldn't afford spartados, or spartados x.... it brought them into bigger storage and subdirectories and you can assign a working drive for directories or as d:... no it's not sparta but it was a stepping stone to sparta... it was great at the time... and I still use it for certain devices even today..

I *PAID* for SDX One time, BITD. I have NEVER paid M$ for anything! I am very proud of that!

MyDOS has two issues with H: devices.

The first is that it uses a non-standard syntax for default directory listings and expects ** to be interpreted as *.*. This is not universally supported and results in no files listed on some H: handlers unless H:*.* is explicitly used.

The second is that it doesn't allow wildcard copies from devices other than D: If you try to copy from H:*.* to D2:, you get Error 165 because MyDOS opens H:*.* -- which works and opens the first available file -- and tries to copy it to a file called D2: -- which doesn't and gives Error 165.

The H: device has nothing to do with MyDOS.

So the MyDUP relies completely on MyDOS when it comes to Syntax-Things, which causes both of these errors.

But you can always workaround this with software especially written for one emulator's H: device (where Atari800's H: device has to be handled different than the one on Atari800Win or Altirra).

When I wrote my COPY2ATR.TUR, which copies all files from H4: to D: ) for Atari800Win, it worked only on Atari800Win. It didn't even work in Atari800DOS if I remember right.

Edited by atarixle

The H: device has nothing to do with MyDOS.

If you mean the author of MYDOS did not account for the future existence of the 'H:' device, that's correct, but the fact wildcard copies are not allowed on devices other than 'D:' is an arbitrary limitation which doesn't need to be there. Fortunately Altirra is able to alias the 'H:' device on the corresponding 'D:' drive, which should overcome the issue in that emulator.

g2 check this out ... I am not 100% sure right now, but I think I do wildcard copies on 800Win using just a single * ... (COPY2ATR.TUR).

In case of 800Win, the H: device gives back long filenames with the dot in the middle - something MyDUP cannot handle at all if it just handles a 12345678123 sheme internally.

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 1

Ok, I found my old COPY2ATR.TUR program. In line 200 it's OPEN #%1,6,%0,"H4:*.*" ... so I get the directory using star dot star. BUT as the H: device gives back a filename format other than *:FILENAMEEXT 000, so my program has to handle filenames different. Instead of converting *:FILENAMEEXT 000 to FILENAME.EXT, I use the untouched filename for opening the source file (from H: to D:). And this is what MyDUP cannot handle.

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 1

Altirra's H: listing output uses the same format as DOS, so it does work if you hack out the check in DUP.SYS for D:, which presumably MyDOS inherited from Atari DOS. It's not a crazy restriction given the lack of any other capable CIO devices at the time, but it kind of defeats the purpose of CIO being a general purpose I/O system if you hardcode specific device letters.

The D: as H: option won't work here. It works by re-adding the H: device as D: in the list of CIO device handlers, so it can't coexist with the regular DOS D: handler. Typically, if you boot DOS while this option is on, DOS's handler wins and the option effectively does nothing. In the opposite case, you would lose access to the DOS disks instead. Neither way allows you to access both the DOS disks and the host device through D:.

• Like 3

Hi,

I've installed the latest atariserver on a Raspberry Pi (1st generation, 26 pin GPIO) and it works fine with:

$ atariserver -N BDCAP1.atr BDCAP2.atr BDCAP3.atr BDCAP4.atr BDCAP5.atr BDCAP6.atr BDCAP7.atr BDCAP8.atr

This gives me 128 MB of disk space with MyDos (8 * 16 MB). I haven't tried atariserver with SpartaDos yet, or the higher speeds, but so far, so good!

• 3 years later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:17 PM, E474 said:

Hi

I have created a 16MB ATR for MyDos (4.534), and it boots fine (see attachment), but I can't figure out how to get large files out of the disk image.

I can't copy them to an enhanced density disk (physical or ATR), as MyDos has its own 1040 sector file format, I think the same goes for DD disks too. Even if I could copy them to a physical disk, or standard sized ATR, I'll still be creating files larger than a DD disk, so this path probably won't work anyway.

There don't seem to be any Linux tools that will extract files from an arbitrary large MyDos ATR (and I'm not sure there are any tools that will work with sub-directories either).

I was hoping to be able to use the Linux atari800 emulator (the emulator will read the big ATR perfectly), and then copy the files to a folder accessible on H1:, but writing to H1: doesn't seem to work with MyDos. So I can make very large files on MyDos (>90K), but can't copy them onto a PC.

Is there an obvious work-around? I am using sio2bsd to emulate drives with ATRs, and it seems to work fine, though it seems to have some issues with high-speed/DD loaders such as Alpha-Load, and possibly SpartaDos, which probably complicates things. Also, the atari800 emulator is version 3.1.0, if that helps.

Most of the time I use atrcopy for extracting files from ATR images, but it doesn't handle big ATR files.

Any help would be appreciated!

big_mydos_disk.zip 27.01 kB · 121 downloads

Recently learned here on another topic that Altirra emulator if you go to ALT-D and press the Arrow by the Drive > it offers an explore disk option which not only gives access to large ATR drives with lots of files but you can import and export with the added benefit of it will also convert atari return keys (atascii 155 I think) to windows ascii 13/10 CR/LF - and yes - that explore disk appears to work on large sparta dos and large mydos disks so far as I have seen - didn't test any with subdirectory trees

Edited by Ray Gillman

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

there aren't any files in the image, it is a bootable mydos 4.53/4- 16mb high capacity drive with ramdiskd, only files on it are dos.sys dup.sys and myrd2.ar0

certainly nothing that couldn't be copied, you can in fact use it to format a disk, write the dos files and copy the ramdisk driver over. All done using the menu options of mydos itself

Old post but I was looking for a big atr. It also only shows the same number of free sectors as a 720k atr. 

Edited by sl0re
C

Ditto the bwdos atr on page 2. About 65500 sectors. The dos and dup files take the same number of sectors from the mydos 16mb atr as my 720k atr with 65500 sectors so I don't think its a issue of different amounts of data per sector. Are these 16 mb atr's really giving people 16mb of storage or is my 720k atr the problem / glitched? Or something else? 

the .atr should show in your explorer as being 16 MB. The number of sector taken by DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS shouldn't really change.

I have used 16MB MyDOS .ATR images for BBS use and it was basically close to 16 MB, I didn't do the actual math on wasted DATA vtoc etc.

Are you simply wanting a bootable 16MB MyDOS ATR? As in someone uploading an image? or do you want the steps to make one yourself?

Edited by _The Doctor__

14 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the .atr should show in your explorer as being 16 MB. The number of sector taken by DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS shouldn't really change.

I have used 16MB MyDOS .ATR images for BBS use and it was basically close to 16 MB, I didn't do the actual math on wasted DATA vtoc etc.

Are you simply wanting a bootable 16MB MyDOS ATR? As in someone uploading an image? or do you want the steps to make one yourself?

My 720k atr has the same number of sectors as the 16mb atr. Is it really 16 mb of space? 

Edited by sl0re