IGNORED

Bouncy's obstacle course

Asmusr

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying the scrolling!

Practical question: how are you capturing the video to upload?

In https://js99er.net

Press Rec to record and Stop to stop. The quality is quite good and the file size is very small.

Amazingly this is all handled by an API in the browser, I basically just tell it when to start and stop recording.

• Like 2

I had some problems getting the speech to work on the real hardware. It turns out the issue was that I had a 32K sidecar attached that was drawing power from the TI via the speech synth, which has been modded to let the power through. Even though this setup works fine for Alpiner, the 32K is apparently doing something that causes the speech in my games to fail. Adding external power to the 32K, or removing it, solved the problem.

While debugging this I have been experimenting with the delays that the E/A manual claims you need after setting up an address in the speech synth and after reading the status. As far as I can tell none of these delays are necessary, at least not when speaking from the built in vocabulary. However, it *is* necessary to read the status using code in scratchpad.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 4

I'm not sure what the suggestion is, because I thought I already did that.

Upon closer inspection, you did indeed. What I had in mind however was more of a slight rhythmical flattening of the ball by one pixel in height as it moves to suggest definite motion. Sorry for not being more specific. In any case not sure if that will have the desired effect or how hard it would even be to implement. Feel free to ignore.

Upon closer inspection, you did indeed. What I had in mind however was more of a slight rhythmical flattening of the ball by one pixel in height as it moves to suggest definite motion. Sorry for not being more specific. In any case not sure if that will have the desired effect or how hard it would even be to implement. Feel free to ignore.

That's what I meant too, I'll have to go back and see what you did implement :)

edit: ooh, I see, you added internal animation to the shape...

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have worked on this game for a few months. I think it's time to release a beta version while I still have some resources left for suggested improvements.

My objective was to create a game that runs on an unexpanded console, but still contains some of the features, like smooth scrolling and nice music, that are easier to implement if you have a bit of RAM available. The game should also have been realistic to produce in the 1980s, which is why I have chosen an upper limit for the ROM of 16K.

There are currently 8 levels. One vertical :) . There is room for a few more. Or maybe for new features?

Please try it out and let me know what you think. If you would like to design a new level (in Magellan), let me know.

obstacle-8.bin

obstacle.rpk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 9

I'm not very good at it, but this is a brilliant game!

edit: now I've seen all the levels, some very nice and tricky things. The speed up level is fun, but a bit short once you have it.

I don't know if it's tough, but some indication of the end of the course would be nice, rather than looping.

And if you die and then fall, you get a solid ball at the bottom. I thought at first I had a second chance. ;)

Those were the only issues I could see fighting through all the stages.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1