IGNORED

Bouncy's obstacle course

Asmusr

I don't know if it's tough, but some indication of the end of the course would be nice, rather than looping.

And if you die and then fall, you get a solid ball at the bottom. I thought at first I had a second chance. ;)

Thanks for testing.

So some kind of end sequence, after you finish all the levels? I think that's a good idea. My plan is also that when you start over there will be enemies on all levels.

I have fixed the die and fall issue.

• Like 1

Thanks for testing.

So some kind of end sequence, after you finish all the levels? I think that's a good idea. My plan is also that when you start over there will be enemies on all levels.

I have fixed the die and fall issue.

No, I mean when you finish the course you're on, you can't tell it's the end. You just see more obstacles coming and all of a sudden it stops and says you're done. Maybe change the top and bottom to a checkered flag pattern or something instead of wrapping, if that's easy? (As a bonus, on the one level where the last obstacle is really tricky, you can see how close you are right before you die ;) )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the good feedback on the previous version. I think this will be the final beta version. ;)

I have added two more levels (10 levels total), a finish line, and an end screen, and I'm running out of space in the 16K ROM.

[Edit: and the Speed run level (4) is now twice as long.]

You can play the game using a joystick (left, right, fire) or keyboard (s, d, space), depending on which key you press to start the game. Press S on the start screen to turn speech on/off.

I would like some feedback on how difficult the game is, so it would be great if you would post the highest level you have reached.

This game doesn't require 32K RAM, but I know some people would like an E/A#5 version, and I will create that when the game has been beta tested and no more changes are required.

post-35226-0-01352400-1555518679.png

https://js99er.net/#/cart/bouncy's_obstacle_course

obstacle-8.bin

obstacle.rpk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 12

Any excuse to fire up the TI is a good excuse, and this is certainly a good one!

I fired up the previous beta in classic99, loved it. Trying to refrain from playing any more until you release the EA5 version so i can try it on real metal via TIPI! :-D

I found a way to build both versions from the same code, so here you are.

obstacle.dsk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 6

I actually find that level to be one of the easiest: just plain jumps all the way through. But thanks for letting me know so I don't try to make it harder. ;)

Here is a video where you can see the places I'm having trouble with:

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 5

I'm posting a new version with some minor changes to difficulty. This is your last chance to have any influence on the difficulty of this game.

>> I would like some feedback on how difficult the game is, so it would be great if you would post the highest level you have reached.

obstacle-8.bin

obstacle.dsk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 7

Dont know if you have still any space left, but would be cool if you do some sound effect when crossing the checker flags at the end of a level.

I have only 2 bytes left, but I think I could recover a few hundred bytes by compressing the sprite patterns.

• Like 1

I got to level 3 with a score of 7446

The music is perfect, a bouncy tune for a bouncy game

this game has the perfect combination of a fun theme and also a just one more go pull

it has that fun frustration of getting so close you just have to try again!

nice work and level 4 will be miine...oh yes it will be mine :-)

• Like 2

Dont know if you have still any space left, but would be cool if you do some sound effect when crossing the checker flags at the end of a level.

I have added a sound when you cross the finish line. And since I compressed the sprite patterns I now have 200 bytes left. :)

obstacle-8.bin

obstacle.dsk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 5

I have added a sound when you cross the finish line. And since I compressed the sprite patterns I now have 200 bytes left. :)

I played previous version earlier today and there is a difference, the new version have not as smooth scroll when playing the game.

It have glitches around every second on my computer (PAL).

I played previous version earlier today and there is a difference, the new version have not as smooth scroll when playing the game.

It have glitches around every second on my computer (PAL).

Hmm, I just tried on two real consoles (NTSC and F18A) and didn't see any problems with the smoothness. Let me know if it continues.

Very nice! The new levels are rather evil. :)

I find it a little more tricky dealing with the vertical levels (and the final backwards jump, you know which one I mean) as it feels like the detection of the edge of the platform, particularly the right edge, is off by a couple pixels, meaning I usually fall before I jump in that direction (or miss the landing). If it's not hard to give the player a couple of pixels grace I think it'd feel better.

I have a lot of trouble with the first jump up on the last part of The Bridge, and there's no redemption if you miss. I'm not sure if I like that or hate it. ;) But on the other hand, practice is a good thing.

It's an insanely well polished game, nice work!

• Like 1

I find it a little more tricky dealing with the vertical levels (and the final backwards jump, you know which one I mean) as it feels like the detection of the edge of the platform, particularly the right edge, is off by a couple pixels, meaning I usually fall before I jump in that direction (or miss the landing). If it's not hard to give the player a couple of pixels grace I think it'd feel better.

Instead of changing the collision detection I have made the platforms on the vertical levels slightly smaller with rounded edges.

post-35226-0-48007000-1556637298.png

obstacle-8.bin

obstacle.rpk

obstacle.dsk

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 8