IGNORED

Skunkboard from Sell My Retro

chicgamer

I bought a Skunkboard from Sell My Retro a couple of months ago, and while I've been happy with it for the most part, there is one big issue I've had with it—sometimes other carts won't work in my Jaguar after I remove the Skunkboard.

I know that this Skunkboard isn't beveled, but it also appears to be thicker than other cartridge PCBs. I'm not sure if all Skunkboards are like this (I used to have a V2 Skunkboard, but I never had any issues with it).

Anyone else have experience with the Skunkboard off Sell My Retro? Have you had similar issues, and if so, did you find a way to resolve it? I'm really worried about permanently damaging the cart connector on my Jaguar. The only solution that I can think of would be to create a pass-through adapter of some kind (which is beyond my abilities).

Bad bad bad.

Send it back.

Looks like I never should have sold my V2 Skunkboard. :(

If the edge isn't bevelled it'll take 2 minutes with an emery board to fix that

Is it seriously this simple? The cart will still work fine? I thought about doing this, but I was afraid I'd just damage the Skunkboard.

You know, I may be wrong about the thickness. It may just look thicker to me due to not having a beveled edge. After I figure out how to get it out of this 3D printed case, I'll compare it to a regular Jaguar cart.

EDIT:

Okay, forget what I said about the PCB thickness. I compared it to a Tempest cart, and both are 1.3 mm thick. I'm going to try beveling the edge, and hopefully that will fix everything.

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 1

You know, I may be wrong about the thickness. It may just look thicker to me due to not having a beveled edge. After I figure out how to get it out of this 3D printed case, I'll compare it to a regular Jaguar cart.

EDIT:

Okay, forget what I said about the PCB thickness. I compared it to a Tempest cart, and both are 1.3 mm thick. I'm going to try beveling the edge, and hopefully that will fix everything.

I managed to bevel mine with a Dremmel, didn't need to take it out the case either. Just be careful not to go too far and damage the gold fingers.

• Like 1

Okay, I beveled the edge of the Skunkboard, and everything seems okay now. I think I did bend some pins when inserting the Skunkboard prior to beveling the connector, as I sometimes have to remove and reinsert Jaguar cartridges now for them to be recognized. Ugh.

So, yeah, anyone who buys this Skunkboard should definitely bevel the connector before ever using it. Not sure why the seller doesn't have this done. Does it add much to the cost of a PCB to have the connector beveled?

• Like 3

Less than 72 GBP, which is what they are new.

Oof! Sure I paid closer to 120 pounds! (might be misremembering). I believe it came from GoatStore.

Anyhoo, it's doing nothing. If someone wants it, please let me know. I can't see any reason why 65 pounds shouldn't be a reasonable price.

I'll have to check the version. I'd swap it for a Harmony encore cart...

Is it easy to bevel the edges? Could someone throw up a demo video?

Yes, it's easy to do. The hardest part for me was getting the 3D printed case to come apart. :) The board extends a bit below the connectors, so you just have to file that part down a bit. I did it in a matter of minutes using a small file.

Oof! Sure I paid closer to 120 pounds! (might be misremembering). I believe it came from GoatStore.

Anyhoo, it's doing nothing. If someone wants it, please let me know. I can't see any reason why 65 pounds shouldn't be a reasonable price.

I'll have to check the version. I'd swap it for a Harmony encore cart...

If I remember correctly, the carts were being sold on the Goat Store for $130 to $140 (at least, that's what I remember about the "ghost" version). I missed out on it, but I ended up buying a V2 later for $200 (people were marking them up, of course, since they were no longer being produced). Fortunately, I was able to sell mine for the same price I bought it. Since someone is producing Skunkboards again, the price has gone back down.

I bought a skunkboard from sell my retro (back in August 2018, I think). I am also paranoid about it stretching my jag's cart connector. The board does look thicker than standard jaguar cartridges. Perhaps I have 1.6mm and the standard jag's are 1.3mm. However, it did come already bevelled. I plugged it into my CD unit originally but quickly decided to take it out after reading about thick PCB's.

I havn't had my CD unit plugged in since because of this.

I understand that the cartridge connector pins on the jag can be coaxed back into position if really necessary.

Luckily I have had no problems using standard jag cartridges after using the skunkboard (no more than I usually get). I was quite worried about this but feel a little more confident now.

It has to be said that it is a bit of a nightmare. I wish that proper sized PCB's were used so there was no issue.

I make sure that I don't leave the jag with skunkboard plugged in, just in case.

Skunkboards are awesome! It is good to see your own code running on the Jaguar.

Just wait for the Jag SD from SainT.

That's what I be doing!

Not sure, will it have USB connection to the PC? If you have to remove the card from Jaguar, plug into PC, write game, remove from PC, re-plug into Jaguar and then boot, well this will do for a hello world, but nothing else.

Good for me is: BJL ROM (which makes a register dump) + SkunkBoard. Best would be if the SkunkBoard would have a RAM to store the "ROM" instead.