IGNORED

The case for RF Shielding in 2019

abbotkinneydude

Hello everyone,

The more I deal with our beloved ATARIs, the more I wonder if it's fine to remove the RF shielding from most of them.

I know that, in the case of upgrades, they sometimes take so much room that the RF shield has to go anyway.

But, in general, do you keep the RF shield on?

And are certain machines better than others?

For instance, do the Warner era machines create more radio interference than the later Tramiel made machines? Etc.

Thank you for your insight.

Edited by abbotkinneydude

This has been covered a zillion times, please do an advanced forum search by changing the dates to earlier days and search up shielding, or shielding and mass, and shielding and interferance, shielding and noise, shielding helping connected devices, like the myIDE, shielding and ham radio, shielding and am/fm radio especially during cassette or audio input use.

Yeah I keep the shielding and only snip the specific sio caps to get zero divisor working, It avoids all manor of hassle.

• Like 1

Just to let you avoid the search... bottom line is that shielding is really only needed if you chose to use the RF output to a TV. If you do this without a shield, you will see all kinds of interference and noise in the picture. If you are using anything else for your video (composite, S-Video, RGB, ect.) shielding will not influence what you will see on the monitor. However no shielding will let your computer radiate more noise into the area, so things like listening to a distant radio station (FM or AM) might possibly suffer from interference, or get lost in the noise. And if you have a close by neighbor, they too might have a similar issue, however they would need to be pretty close for that to happen.