IGNORED

Sad(istic) element to "Night Driver"

classicgamesnut

Night Driver has always been, and still is, quite fun, but something has bothered me for many years (in a silly way.)

Sometimes when colliding with an oncoming car, it gets knocked completely off the road, very much like a real crash on a narrow winding road. There's a short pause, and then, you just...drive off and leave the poor smashed car and its supposed occupants behind. There had to be someone in it because they were honking the horn just a second earlier, now their car is sitting there lifeless, still visible. And then you just leave them. And the crash was probably your fault.

Night Driver and other games of its time made us rely on imagination to fill in the gaps, and maybe mine was a little overactive, but I had to get this off my chest after so many years. Still feel a little guilty to this day.

Larry

• Like 4

You are an empathetic person. I often have to remind myself that there are living people with intentions and feelings inside all the cars in my way on the highway. Perhaps all the Burnout-type games with no consequences for wreckage have gotten to me. Or more likely, they speak to the fantasy life I would like to enjoy, at least briefly in safe spaces like on TV.

Stay away from Bloody Human Freeway, too.

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareID=4034

• Like 1

I don't draw the line as close as you do, but I didn't really feel good when driving around in Die Hard Trilogy (PS1) when hitting a pedestrian, the windshield wipers would wipe a lot of blood off... but, at least the programmers gave you the option to turn that off. So... I felt better.

I don't draw the line as close as you do, but I didn't really feel good when driving around in Die Hard Trilogy (PS1) when hitting a pedestrian, the windshield wipers would wipe a lot of blood off... but, at least the programmers gave you the option to turn that off. So... I felt better.

Or the arcade version of Cruis'n USA, when you hit a cow. God that whole series is tasteless and tacky.

Night Driver has always been, and still is, quite fun, but something has bothered me for many years (in a silly way.)

Sometimes when colliding with an oncoming car, it gets knocked completely off the road, very much like a real crash on a narrow winding road. There's a short pause, and then, you just...drive off and leave the poor smashed car and its supposed occupants behind. There had to be someone in it because they were honking the horn just a second earlier, now their car is sitting there lifeless, still visible. And then you just leave them. And the crash was probably your fault.

Night Driver and other games of its time made us rely on imagination to fill in the gaps, and maybe mine was a little overactive, but I had to get this off my chest after so many years. Still feel a little guilty to this day.

Larry

You sound like a good person, Larry. That's all I can say.

Is this gonna be a gnarly videogame crashes thread? I remember in Street Rod that there'd be spatters of blood on the dash if you crashed hard enough.

Don't play Carmageddon!

Yeah Street Rod was a brilliant game, played it all the time as a lad and still do. Always thought the blood was a bit exaggerated though, especially after hitting a road marker lol

You can make yourself feel better playing Speed Racer on C64.

You get separate scoring for angel (halos) and devil (horns) scoring, depending if you run into any innocent bystanders in the middle of the road (or grannies crossing the road).. and if you do, there's a large blood stain.

If you don't, you can rack up the halo points and bask in the glory of being a good person and driver.

• 2 months later...

You can make yourself feel better playing Speed Racer on C64.

You get separate scoring for angel (halos) and devil (horns) scoring, depending if you run into any innocent bystanders in the middle of the road (or grannies crossing the road).. and if you do, there's a large blood stain.

If you don't, you can rack up the halo points and bask in the glory of being a good person and driver.

I never knew there was such a gory game based on a heavily-censored anime.