IGNORED

Early Atari 800 models / collectors

hunter44102

Do you have a photo of the lid + labels? There's photos around of an early 800 with 2-tone label "800" rather than the outline font that you usually see.

Unsure what the timeline was but enclosed Ram modules were used for quite a while.

Worth a look for you is a thread around somewhere re an early prototype 800 that had different memory map to what was finally settled on.

Tis a thing of beauty.....I love 800's....Just Amazing to look at...As for the enclosed ram cards, I don't think that is rare (?) I know the machine I used to have had enclosed ones but it wasn't one of the early batches, must look at the one I now have and see what they are...

Hand written serial....Sounds very early...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

The Atari brand memory modules were either 8K or 16K, and were always in cases AFAIK.

Not true. The 800 I had as kid (purchased August 1983) had uncased Atari-made OS and RAM boards. All three of my current 800's, all made between mid-'82 and summer '83, have uncased Atari-made boards.

• Like 6

Here's the 800 with cased memory that I used to own. They look great. I never had any problem with it overheating; but, then, I didn't use it much, as it was bought for installation of an incognito board. After I sold the Incognito board, I sold the machine too.

mr fish... you had it all, and then you blew it... I feel sorrow, and wish you all the best in recovering from your loss. I do hope you regain both!

• Like 2

My 800 is an early model with the CTIA (of course I replaced it with a spare GTIA as soon as I got it and checked), enclosed memory boards and easy access levers on the case top instead of screws. The bottom label is no longer there so I can't say if it was originally hand written or not. No problems with overheating here either, and I've left it on all day a couple of times. I've only owned it since the end of November this past year...of course I upgrade and mod everything, so it's already had some work done on it, like LED lighting in my Avatar photo and currently modding a 16K board and OS board with Claus B's 62K port B upgrade, which will be self-contained to the boards so I only have to swap out OS & memory boards to return it to stock configuration.

Has anyone ever done a Stereo Pokey upgrade to an 800? I'm planning on it myself...

Edited by Gunstar

Has anyone ever done a Stereo Pokey upgrade to an 800? I'm planning on it myself...

It would require one that has the piggy-back socket on the top, instead of the bottom as it is now.

Lotharek Simple Stereo Board

post-42561-0-00927100-1549816344.png

Mytek TK-II Stereo Board --- Also has Pokey piggyback on bottom (U1)

tk-ii-stereo-main-large_orig.jpg

Available Space in an 800 (Pokey = CO12294)

20160609-115247_orig.jpg

So someone would need to create a new version with the Pokey piggyback being on the top instead of the bottom. Also need to change out those green caps for something much shorter as was done below.

20160609-122903_orig.jpg

• Like 5

It would require one that has the piggy-back socket on the top, instead of the bottom as it is now.

attachicon.gifLotharek_stereo.png

20160609-115247_orig.jpg

So someone would need to create a new version with the Pokey piggyback being on the top instead of the bottom. Also need to change out those green caps for something much shorter as was done below.

20160609-122903_orig.jpg

I was just planning on doing a DIY 2-pokey piggy-back like the norm before stereo boards, as I did in my 1200XL. I do have a MetalGuy66 stereo board that I didn't use in the 1200XL because I couldn't fit it with my 32-in-1 OS board, so I did the old-school piggy-back instead. But I've been planning on installing the MetalGuy66 board in an 800XL I'm rebuilding, which is why I thought I'd do DIY piggy-back in the 800 too. But is there some reason I can't just piggy-back another POKEY on top of the first in the 800? Since you say it would require a a piggy-back socket/board? But sorry, if I do have to use a piggy-back board, I'll use the MetalGuy66 board I already have, and do the DIY piggy-back in the 800XL, instead of buying another board. I have no want of the transkey II stuff included in your board, though I would still buy it, IF I didn't already have MetalGuy66's.

post-149-0-68760500-1549818190_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifLotharek_stereo.png

20160609-115247_orig.jpg

20160609-122903_orig.jpg

Sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were saying, actually, I didn't understand at all. I thought you were talking about the socket on the mobo, which is why I didn't understand. I realize now that you were assuming a stereo upgrade board, and I was planning DIY piggy-back on top of the first POKEY all along. I was just wondering if anyone HAD upgraded to stereo on an 800 regardless if a piggy-back board was used or just the chip piggy-backing, which is what I was planning. Of course with the DIY piggyback I have to also piggy-back the a 74LS14 or compatible chip to another 74LS chip someplace.

But I do see now that my MetalGuy66 board does have the socket on the bottom, as you say, so it will not fit. I do have to do DIY piggy-back Pokey's.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Despite the common idea that Atari removed all the covers on the RAM cards for heat dissipation purposes, the real reason was to cut down on costs.

That said, those cards could get REALLY hot in A800's that were used to run BBS's. It took a lot of heat but the 800's would eventually lockup after a

time. Just ask anybody that ran a very active BBS (meaning lots of up and down loads). My friends that ran active BBS's always removed the covers from

the RAM cards and also removed the large plastic piece that covered the RAM and cartridge slots. And some sysops positioned a fan to blow on the

computer too! Atari also ended up removing the brown tabs that held the RAM/ cartridge cover on the machine and replaced them with screws to save

a few more pennies towards the end of production.

DavidMil

• Like 1

Despite the common idea that Atari removed all the covers on the RAM cards for heat dissipation purposes, the real reason was to cut down on costs.

That said, those cards could get REALLY hot in A800's that were used to run BBS's. It took a lot of heat but the 800's would eventually lockup after a

time. Just ask anybody that ran a very active BBS (meaning lots of up and down loads). My friends that ran active BBS's always removed the covers from

the RAM cards and also removed the large plastic piece that covered the RAM and cartridge slots. And some sysops positioned a fan to blow on the

computer too! Atari also ended up removing the brown tabs that held the RAM/ cartridge cover on the machine and replaced them with screws to save

a few more pennies towards the end of production.

DavidMil

When I was a kid, our machine had the levers deleted and the cover screwed down. Interestingly, although all three of my current 800's have uncased boards, one does still have the thumb levers.

mr fish... you had it all, and then you blew it... I feel sorrow, and wish you all the best in recovering from your loss. I do hope you regain both!

Haha... I didn't get rid of it by choice; sometimes they've got to go...

I did use it for a while, for testing software that needed OS-B. I might get one again some day.

They are kind of bulky, though; it definitely wouldn't fit in the spot where my XL is being used right now.

I sold off a pristine, boxed 1200XL a few years ago (pictures upon request). You should mourn for me about that one too. :_(

Edited by MrFish

I have 3 1200XL's back now, and one 800 and I will never again part with the 800 and the 1200XL I did the PBI upgrade too. The other two I intend to keep, as spares/backups/different upgrades, but if I had to sell something, they would be the ones to go. I've sold off an 800 and 1200XL before I finally got these back, and I regretted it, I never make the same mistake twice. I've done this with several other classic computers and consoles, some I have since gotten back, and I will never sell them again either, I regretted it the first time! They were all sold off around the same time, so I still consider it just the one mistake that has taken me a dozen years to recover from about 75% so far...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1