IGNORED

New Super Mario Bros. U(ltra) Hyper Fighting Edition

digdugnate

I had never played the Wii U version of New Super Mario Bros U, but had seen some video gameplay and decided to pick it up. I played the 'New' games on the DS/3DS, and the Switch version is pretty cool!

Going into it blind, I picked Mario as my first choice of character and was a little surprised just how terrible I was at this game, lol. Maybe if it had been around in the mid 80s when I was actually 'good' at Mario games I would've had a lot better luck. ;)

I'm not very far into the game, but so far it's been pretty cool- dying at some of the early levels is pretty frustrating for me, but I plowed my way through them. I did notice that a Luigi box popped up after I had died like 5 times on a Koopa Kid castle, but this looked like a 'You really suck at this game. Would you like us to do this for you?' type thing- so maybe this is the equivalent of your friend watching you suck and taking the controller away from you? Full disclosure, I haven't really read a lot about the game so everything would be 'new' to me.

I swallowed my pride and switched to Toadette because the game said it was 'easier' (and I was going to be damned if I was playing Nabbit). I don't know if it's largely a mental thing on my part, but it does seem a little easier.

I particularly like when you get the 'crown' power-up and you get an extra jump boost. The different-colored Yoshi babies are pretty cool, too. I won't lie, that first time the one Yoshi turned into a balloon I giggled.

So having played through it for a few hours yesterday and getting past the Layer-Cake Desert (I think it's called), I'm enjoying it immensely even though I have a lot of trouble with some of the levels.

I still think the name Nintendo gave it was kind of ridiculous, though. I think 'Super Mario Bros.: Switch' or similar would've been a better fit, even though it is a remaster of the Wii U version.