IGNORED

Regarding Fantastic Voyage

Syzygy1

We never get any info about the patient we're inside the body of in Fantastic Voyage, other than it's a critically ill one and they're apparently male ("Try not to shoot or touch them as their destruction will have a negative effect on his condition.") However, in the movie, Grant and Cora and co. are inside Jan Benes, who was a scientist who perfected the shrink ray technology, then got injured in the USSR, forming a blood clot in his brain. This is assumably who we're inside in the game.

But of course, some of you 80s kids may haven't seen the movie back then, yet played the game. Who did you imagine you were inside the body of in the game when you played it?

For me, I like to imagine I'm inside Cyborg from DC Comics, as there's an episode of Teen Titans (2003) where Beast Boy and Gizmo go inside Cyborg after he gets a virus.

• Like 1

Ugh. I have a serious dislike of the game because of its association with the book, which I read first at the age of ten and hated, and the movie (which I watched later and also hated). The game also sucks on the A8 (where I first encountered it), which doesn't help matters. :)

I can't say that I ever thought about giving a name to the game's "patient", but I was frequently frustrated enough while playing that I repeatedly rammed my ship into him to speed his imminent death. Now, I'd probably call him "Isaac Asimov", as I couldn't stand the fact that he put his name to this piece of crap and yet was the editor of a favourite sci-fi anthology that I poached from my parents' stash as a child, in which he criticized most of the stories for their lack of scientific accuracy or plausability. I thought it was shifty and hypocritical in the extreme as a child, and my opinion hasn't changed.

• Like 1

That's one of my all time favorite 2600 games. Loved it from the moment I popped that cartridge in back in '82.

I had watched the movie sometime in the 70s but never associated it much with the game.

To me, the patients were just random people with varying degrees of health issues as you were always moving from one person to the next after clearing the giant clot at the end.

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 2

I feel like Fantastic Voyage predates Vanguard (on Atari) by a lot, but they both have ©1982 on them. Does anyone know which one came out first?

We have a page where we can look up Atari 2600 release dates:

randomterrain.com/rt-atari-2600-game-index.html

Vanguard for the Atari 2600 was released right after Christmas, just before January of 1983, so Fantastic Voyage probably beat it by a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Raquel Welch in a wetsuit. Beyond that, pretty goofy and filled with plotholes and bad science. The biggest one was:

If the plan was to remove the sub with a hypo after the mission was completed, why didn't they just pick them up right after they went off course and try again??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with Syzygy1, as I love the game but I see her point about not getting too much information about the patient. At least on Intellivision's Micro Surgery you are told exactly what's wrong with the patient and where you should be focusing your efforts. I never saw the movie, was it good?

We were told what's wrong with the patient here too: there's a blood clot in his brain like in the movie.

YES.

Random patient for me. Nobody special.

Thank you for giving me an awesome 80s song to sample. I'm gonna be listening to that song while playing Fantastic Voyage from now on. Maybe it'll help me not kill the patient like I always do.

For me, it's Cyborg, so yeah, it's somebody special.

• Like 1

Raquel Welch in a wetsuit. Beyond that, pretty goofy and filled with plotholes and bad science. The biggest one was:

If the plan was to remove the sub with a hypo after the mission was completed, why didn't they just pick them up right after they went off course and try again??

What's a hypo?

And besides, Jan was fucking dying. They couldn't just start again because they'd be wasting time.

Edited by Syzygy1

And besides, Jan was fucking dying. They couldn't just start again because they'd be wasting time.

Yeah...what's a few minutes vs. a whole f'ing hour. And ya gotta stop his heart on top of it.. Not so good for a dying man in a coma. Sorry, my 10 year old self already spotted a problem with that.

Thank you for giving me an awesome 80s song to sample. I'm gonna be listening to that song while playing Fantastic Voyage from now on.

If you like that one, you might also like these bouncy songs by the same guy:

Heart Of Gold

The Wall (with M.C. Hammer)

Too Tough

Have A Talk

Long Ago

These are slower songs by the same guy that don't totally stink:

Father, Father

Friend In You

Technology Man

Those seem to be his best songs.

Time for Timer!

youtube.com/watch?v=X6otVlEWyrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6otVlEWyrM

As a kid I always imagined that the patient was myself.

I'm technically a grown-up now, but I still have no issue with imagining myself simultaneously being both macro patient and micro doctor. There are far weirder scenarios in videogames than mere colocational duplication of self!

That's one of my all time favorite 2600 games. Loved it from the moment I popped that cartridge in back in '82.

I had watched the movie sometime in the 70s but never associated it much with the game.

To me, the patients were just random people with varying degrees of health issues as you were always moving from one person to the next after clearing the giant clot at the end.

Yep, this is a game where you HAVE to read the instructions. It was always fun on both the 2600 and the 8bits. (for mea at least)

• Like 1

Yep, this is a game where you HAVE to read the instructions. It was always fun on both the 2600 and the 8bits. (for mea at least)

I didn't read the instructions too much except to choose the easiest level, then just went to blasting and steered clear of the sides :P

• Haha 1

We never get any info about the patient we're inside the body of in Fantastic Voyage, other than it's a critically ill one and they're apparently male ("Try not to shoot or touch them as their destruction will have a negative effect on his condition.")

Hmmmm maybe, maybe not. This was the result of the patient waking up and heading to Gamestop a few days after the operation...

Edited by moycon

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm maybe, maybe not. This was the result of the patient waking up and heading to Gamestop a few days after the operation...

At least it wasn't Chris-chan that clip was of. "DON'T CALL ANYBODY!"

Anyway, you're wrong; you know who the patient was? The character on my avatar.

• Haha 1