IGNORED

Some problems with my TI-99/4A

electricfling

Good evening and a friendly hello to everyone.

I have purchased an old TI-99 / 4a. Unfortunately,

I have a problem now. When I insert a Super Extended Module (Triton) and turn on the Ti, then very often the selection point 2 is not displayed.

Next time, only "2 S" will be displayed. Suddenly, in further experiments, "2 Super Extended Basic" will be displayed.

The TI returns to the title screen after selecting "2".

This process repeats until the TI hangs completely and this intrusive continuous tone is output.

I have / had another CF7A + module.

If I made it, that after countless attempts the TI does not hang up again with inserted CF7A + module (no CF card is plugged in),

then after a few attempts I have also made the XB module run a few times.

It also happens that XB was started, but knows about commands like SIZE, CALL INIT, and outputs syntax error.

If I insert the CF7A + with inserted CF-card at the side of the TI, then the TI simply does not run and it only different continuous tones are issued.

What can I do now? Is this TI lost and unrepairable. Is it even worthwhile to repair this board or should I try to find another one?

For tips I am very grateful.

Dear Greetings
Gernot from Austria

I would say clean your cartridge port with DeOxIt, clean your expansion port edge connector with the same.... sounds like this kind of intermittent issue is most likely caused by dirt, grime, etc... it may not even be super visible.

Good luck. Perhaps others will have more ideas for you as well.

Definitely do the port cleaning routine (side port and cartridge port). One note on the cartridge port connector, open it up and you will find a piece of felt (ein Filzlappe) onside of it. You really want to remove that, as it is soaked in oil (mixed with little metal bits and other trash after years of use). This often bridges contacts and introduces lots of problems.

A big thank you to all the fans who gave me their tips.

The TI-Basic works perfectly.

I had already cleaned the Catridge port and the side board connection with spirit.

The port of the Triton XB is also cleaned and the individual soldering tracks are slightly tinned.

The CF7A + module is not recognized, because it is not displayed in the title screen.

However, it worked well until I stored it dry many years ago.

I will clean the plug with contact spray. Maybe the CF7A + module will work correctly then.

many Greetings
Gernot

A big thank you to all the fans who gave me their tips.

The TI-Basic works perfectly.

I had already cleaned the Catridge port and the side board connection with spirit.

The port of the Triton XB is also cleaned and the individual soldering tracks are slightly tinned.

The CF7A + module is not recognized, because it is not displayed in the title screen.

However, it worked well until I stored it dry many years ago.

I will clean the plug with contact spray. Maybe the CF7A + module will work correctly then.

many Greetings

Gernot

Check alignment of the CF7A+, i know I experienced similar issues if m pins were not aligned correctly on the side-port.

Edited by Shift838

I have cleaned and controlled everything now.

Unfortunately, these actions have not been successful.

Right now something funny has happened.

I turned on the TI and just left it in the cover picture and went for some food.

After three quarters of an hour I went back to the TI.

Now the title picture is displayed clean, also "2 - Super Extended Basic is displayed correctly,

after selecting" 2 "Ready is displayed, but unfortunately no command like size, call bye, call new is accepted.
I think this TI or the XB module has a little more problems than expected.

Beautiful evening.

Have you tried eliminating variables? If you've got a nanoPEB and a SXB module, how does the computer react with NOTHING in the cart slot? What about with SXB plugged in and no nanoPEB?

Is the nano recognized at all when you start the TI with nothing plugged in? Are you using a speech synth between the nano and the console? Do you have LED lights on the nano that light up when turned on?

Many possible variables to consider

Can you go into TI Basic and type a simple program in

10 Print "Hello"

20 Goto 10

this will give an endless loop, but will show if the basic system is functioning and accepting input, just a thought.

You can go to http://js99er.net/and try it on an emulator to see if you get the same results.

Edited by RickyDean

Have you tried eliminating variables? If you've got a nanoPEB and a SXB module, how does the computer react with NOTHING in the cart slot? What about with SXB plugged in and no nanoPEB?

Is the nano recognized at all when you start the TI with nothing plugged in? Are you using a speech synth between the nano and the console? Do you have LED lights on the nano that light up when turned on?

Many possible variables to consider

Currently only the Ti with the SBX module is used. Without a module, it always works.

The TI-Basic always works with the SBX module, but the SBX module never actually works.

The only success was that the Ti entered the command mode when selecting the SBX ** READY **.

Nevertheless, the TI does not work in SBX mode.

CF7A + is currently not available.

Do I have to get a new module? In SBX mode, when entering call clear, BYE or NEW, color splashes are repeatedly

written on the screen at different positions, then the TI hangs up again completely,

then immediately the output of the known continuous tone occurs.

Need the SBX necessarily a 32K extension, I have not currently, because that was on the defective CF7A + module

Can you go into TI Basic and type a simple program in

10 Print "Hello"

20 Goto 10

this will give an endless loop, but will show if the basic system is functioning and accepting input, just a thought.

You can go to http://js99er.net/and try it on an emulator to see if you get the same results.

I have a small tower billing program in TI-Basic and that works as it should. Currently I have no other module. Only two weeks ago, inspired by this forum, I started again to deal with the TI-99 / 4A again. Unfortunately not a good start.

If you type in the word SIZE at the ready prompt and hit enter what do it do? just SIZE not CALL SIZE. In SXB not TI Basic. The screen should look similar to what you see here, but if you don't have 32k memory expansion you will only get 1 value instead of two.

Yes it is. But unfortunately with the input of size no message concerning the memory is spent, but the TI hangs up.

i would recommend purchasing a different Extended Basic module. I have 2 SXB modules and one is quirky and the other is solid. so it could be SXB.

I will now first of all think about, whether i should invest in this old technology even more money,

or i just stay with the Classic 99 and experiment with this emulator a little. It costs nothing and it just works.

16 years ago I had a PBox with all the cards from Michael Becker, including the TI-99 / 4A (snug99) with already the TI Extended Basic. The configuration, I should not have sold anymore. I was able to read out all the modules and save the images. No module was needed for the following work anymore. There was playing and programming just great.

I will now first of all think about, whether i should invest in this old technology even more money,

or i just stay with the Classic 99 and experiment with this emulator a little. It costs nothing and it just works.

16 years ago I had a PBox with all the cards from Michael Becker, including the TI-99 / 4A (snug99) with already the TI Extended Basic. The configuration, I should not have sold anymore. I was able to read out all the modules and save the images. No module was needed for the following work anymore. There was playing and programming just great.

Classic99 works great. I alternate between Classic99 and MAME. MAME gives you quite a bit of options for peripheral cards.

Let me see if I have a spare TI XB laying around. If so I can send it to you.

If you type in the word SIZE at the ready prompt and hit enter what do it do? just SIZE not CALL SIZE. In SXB not TI Basic. The screen should look similar to what you see here, but if you don't have 32k memory expansion you will only get 1 value instead of two.

The only XB that has

CALL SIZE

you can place in a PROGRAM is RXB.

I should add that

CALL VERSION(X) :: PRINT X

in any XB will return 110

RXB is the only XB that returns a changed version

CALL VERISION(X) :: PRINT X

in RXB returns the current version such as 2015 or next one will be 2019

Edited by RXB

The only XB that has

CALL SIZE

you can place in a PROGRAM is RXB.

I should add that

CALL VERSION(X) :: PRINT X

in any XB will return 110

RXB is the only XB that returns a changed version

CALL VERISION(X) :: PRINT X

in RXB returns the current version such as 2015 or next one will be 2019

Ok, thanks Rich. I do and always have liked your RXB since I heard about it in 1995 in Lima. But the thing I am attempting to do here is help this person do some simple diagnosis, to see if the console if functioning within reason. If it works in TI Basic, then they can see a value displayed when calling SIZE in XB, then the console is probably okay. Then they can focus on the cartridge, contacts, or something. Thanks though.

• Like 2