IGNORED

Demo / Playable preview - Intellivania; Castlevania on Intellivision

skywaffle

On the other hand, a game like "Intellivania" could introduce unique enemies, levels, quests that would make it exclusive to the console instead of an as close port as possible of a 30+ year old game people already played. I noticed that several of the officially licensed games released lately include extra levels and other enhancements to the original versions, just to make them more than just ports, but it would depend on the IP holder to not only grant a license to use the name but also to modify or extend content of the original game.

As much as I would love to expand on Castlevania like gameplay, and had considered it as a future project. I have already made the entire game, (every stage and boss is there and done), there is some polish needed in areas, and I would like to figure out how to add the various secrets (although I have some, just not the ones that require kneeling, falling, waiting, or walking against walls to access). Everything currently weighs 81kb, which leaves little room for extras, although I had contemplated trying to add some basic optional things, like item

randomization, or expanding on loop 2, similar to the original game, but maybe going farther.

The only real reason why I opted to make a small demo rather than release what I have is for a couple reasons. There still is more polishing I feel I can do in some later stages, but I have also been hesitant to release this, only to see someone on eBay selling an overpriced Parker Brothers Prototype of Castlevania using the ROM.. I may be off base about that though, but was getting the impression that people's efforts in the homebrew community are getting exploited.

As far as the name goes, for the longest time the title screen was an Intellivision mock up of the NES game. I had always initially intended this to be Castlevania on the Intellivision, from an alternate universe of course, seeing that the only official ports that were ever released were some slightly average (or worse) home computer versions. However, not wanting to stir up any legal trouble, I felt that Intellivania worked and was a nice homage to one of my favorite game series.

On the other hand, a game like "Intellivania" could introduce unique enemies, levels, quests that would make it exclusive to the console instead of an as close port as possible of a 30+ year old game people already played. I noticed that several of the officially licensed games released lately include extra levels and other enhancements to the original versions, just to make them more than just ports, but it would depend on the IP holder to not only grant a license to use the name but also to modify or extend content of the original game.

• Like 4

I dig the new name, Intellivania for sure!

Just played it on LTO. I am stuck on the 3rd screen, when you go into the subterranean level, and exit the staircase, if you keep pressing right, it makes you go back up the stairs. I cannot seem to get around this as jumping is only straight up in the air.

If I had one control suggestion, which may not be possible, could there be an option to remap the disc so that if you held the controller horizontally? Like an NES pad. It makes a platformer like this, where you have to use both buttons so quickly, much more comfortable.

Graphs, sound, really amazing.

Thank you! I am not sure if I completely understand how you are stuck. When on stairs, or near stairs, pressing up (or down) will have the character either walk up or down the stairs, as well as walk towards the stairs if within 8 pixels or so, as well as walk off of the stairs once aligned with a "ground block". I took a quick look at the demo just to see if maybe I introduced an issue, but could not replicate the problem you are experiencing.

-- One thing I just noticed is when exiting stairs, if the controller is registering a diagonal, (up and right for example), the character will move back towards the stairs, up/down actions will take priority over left and right movements.

As far as the control option, that is a good suggestion and something I will look into. The controls definitely can get a bit uncomfortable during longer play sessions. In fact I have only played through everything on an Intellivision II, because the Intellivision 1 controller side buttons make my hands hurt in short time (at least for playtesting this game).

I dig the new name, Intellivania for sure!

Just played it on LTO. I am stuck on the 3rd screen, when you go into the subterranean level, and exit the staircase, if you keep pressing right, it makes you go back up the stairs. I cannot seem to get around this as jumping is only straight up in the air.

If I had one control suggestion, which may not be possible, could there be an option to remap the disc so that if you held the controller horizontally? Like an NES pad. It makes a platformer like this, where you have to use both buttons so quickly, much more comfortable.

Graphs, sound, really amazing.

Edited by skywaffle

• 3 weeks later...

So, I recently helped run a retro game event here in Peoria, and one of the things I made sure to bring was an LTO Flash with Intellivania, and while some complained of the graphical downgrade, others were amazed how close it got to the NES game (especially the music and event timing!).

I am beyond impressed by this, and wanted you to know that many others were as well. Well done!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, skywaffle said:

As much as I would love to expand on Castlevania like gameplay, and had considered it as a future project. I have already made the entire game, (every stage and boss is there and done), there is some polish needed in areas, and I would like to figure out how to add the various secrets (although I have some, just not the ones that require kneeling, falling, waiting, or walking against walls to access). Everything currently weighs 81kb, which leaves little room for extras, although I had contemplated trying to add some basic optional things, like item

randomization, or expanding on loop 2, similar to the original game, but maybe going farther.

Is there any news on this great game in progress?

On 9/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, Emanuele said:

Is there any news on this great game in progress?

Hello, 

Progress on Intellivania had been mostly at a stand still.   The game has remained in a mostly complete state, but lacking some polish in areas.  I have recently gotten back to a little work here and there on it and addressing some issues, but not sure when a release will be yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

Hello, 

Progress on Intellivania had been mostly at a stand still.   The game has remained in a mostly complete state, but lacking some polish in areas.  I have recently gotten back to a little work here and there on it and addressing some issues, but not sure when a release will be yet.

Thanks for your feedback. Actually, I look forward to the release. Really good work.?

• 1 month later...