IGNORED

Atari XE light gun issue

shear_xear

Hi everyone! I have an Atari XEGS, and the light gun that came with it seems to have some problems. Im trying to use it with Crossbow on the 7800, but it only works when a few inches from the screen. The screen will flash when the trigger is pulled, but the crosshair only shows when next to the screen. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks!

is it actually compatible with the 7800? Does it function normally on your XEGS?

Cue for joke! Yes, the unloved XG-1 is compatible with all of Atari’s consoles. And no, it doesn’t work well on any of them. Even if you get the hardware issue sorted out — and it sounds like there’s a problem with the gun — they tend to be wildly inaccurate. I was able to get pretty consistent scores on XE Barnyard Blaster by holding mine about a foot away from my CRT. Just get a modded Sega lightgun.

Cue for joke! Yes, the unloved XG-1 is compatible with all of Atari’s consoles. And no, it doesn’t work well on any of them. Even if you get the hardware issue sorted out — and it sounds like there’s a problem with the gun — they tend to be wildly inaccurate. I was able to get pretty consistent scores on XE Barnyard Blaster by holding mine about a foot away from my CRT. Just get a modded Sega lightgun.

fair enough, i have an XEGS and gun, it wasn't that great but did work was not 100% aligned but worked well enough. not as good as my Saturn gun but functional it wasn't "wildly inaccurate" was just out of alignment so you'd shoot to the right a bit was like that from new. But hey, they were cheap guns and at the time a pretty cool addition especially as my bundle came with two different games for it. Maybe the OP's connection isn't great due to age, that might explain it - would be very hard to clean though. Maybe spray some contact cleaner into the holes or something.

Edited by power

Hi everyone! I have an Atari XEGS, and the light gun that came with it seems to have some problems. Im trying to use it with Crossbow on the 7800, but it only works when a few inches from the screen. The screen will flash when the trigger is pulled, but the crosshair only shows when next to the screen. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks!

It could also be that you need to turn up your brightness or contrast on your TV, or you have too much ambient light reflecting on the screen.

It could also be that you need to turn up your brightness or contrast on your TV, or you have too much ambient light reflecting on the screen.

Or the light gun "window" is dirty. I also read here in AtariAge that painting the gun barrel mate black inside helps with the precision by eliminating reflections. Reflections supposedly make the gun and the Atari to detect the electron beam too early and offset the pointing position of the gun.

Edited by manterola