IGNORED

I've just got a Specter GCR :)

I've just got a Specter GCR :) It didn't come with the MAC OS but it come with the ROMS. I'm new to the MAC world so I'm going to need some help! Thanks! :P OK, the only disk drive's I have is the internal drive in my STE and other disk drive is in my dell laptop, how do I get the MAC OS on to real floppy disk's ? Thanks! Oh I my SatanDisk installed too, if that helps any.

Edited by walter_J64bit

This is the hard part, getting System 6 on the ST in the first place. I had to use an old mac to make the disks (one which was still new enough to get on the net or had a way like a CD drive to interface with a newer model that could, but old enough to have a compatible disk drive. The cheapest old macs for this are the early power pc ones prior to the original iMac. The iMac is the cut off point really, as at that point apple killed the floppy drive and like with the ST the USB replacements can't write the disks do to the non standard format. You really want to use a hard disk if you want to do anything productive, the Mac is really unpleasant to use with just floppies, it really is - copy small part of file - ask for system disk - insert original disk - insert system disk and so on... :) I think you should be able to get the disk images on Winworld (ironically)

So if you can't find a old mac then I seem to recall there were a few websites who would offer to write some disks for you (I would do it myself if you were on my side of the pond).

This is the hard part, getting System 6 on the ST in the first place. I had to use an old mac to make the disks (one which was still new enough to get on the net or had a way like a CD drive to interface with a newer model that could, but old enough to have a compatible disk drive. The cheapest old macs for this are the early power pc ones prior to the original iMac. The iMac is the cut off point really, as at that point apple killed the floppy drive and like with the ST the USB replacements can't write the disks do to the non standard format. You really want to use a hard disk if you want to do anything productive, the Mac is really unpleasant to use with just floppies, it really is - copy small part of file - ask for system disk - insert original disk - insert system disk and so on... :) I think you should be able to get the disk images on Winworld (ironically)

So if you can't find a old mac then I seem to recall there were a few websites who would offer to write some disks for you (I would do it myself if you were on my side of the pond).

I've seen the disk images you are talking abut but I'm sure what app to use. I'll check out the websites as a last resource. Thanks.

The big piece missing with Spectre is a way to move binary files from the ST to the "Mac" side of thing. There is a utility provided but it totally screw up binary file transfers.

It would be great is there was a program that allowed us to download .sit files on the pc - put them on ST disks and transfer them to the Mac partition on the ST hard drive. There is no way to do this that I know of. You need to have an old Mac that can write to the floppy and with Spectre GCR or a Discovery cart move it to the "ST Mac"

• Like 1

It would be great is there was a program that allowed us to download .sit files on the pc - put them on ST disks and transfer them to the Mac partition on the ST hard drive. There is no way to do this that I know of.

It's the same problem with getting files to any generic old Mac. This can be worked around with conversions to/from MacBinary and HQX (BinHex 4) formats, this way the data and resource forks are encapsulated. You of course need an appropriate (and version compatible) decoder on the Mac side.

As others have said, you'll need a set of System 6.0.x system disks made on a real Macintosh. In the early 90's, I remember buying a set from an Apple dealer for $50! You should be able to get a set for less. You may try buying a set of disks from a local Apple User Group.

The Spectre GCR emulates a Mac Plus, and a good source of info is https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/mini_vmac_setup

This link describes setting up the Mac Plus/II emulator Mini vMac under Windows.

You should also get Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 on a Mac disk, so you'll have a method of expanding Mac programs with Spectre GCR.

Hopefully SatanDisk users can chime in if this works with Spectre GCR

On the author's Mini vMac website, he has a list of Disk Conversion services at https://www.gryphel.com/c/convert/index.html

I see there's one in NC

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

Well worst case you can go to Ebay. This guy has the 4 disks for 16 dollars including shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-System-6-full-install/192796548747?hash=item2ce391de8b:g:elEAAOSwq2JbkBrs:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I'm a hipster now? I've just order for the OS from this guy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seems like you have to install the OS to a hard drive? I have a Ultra Satan but not sure how to get it to work with Specter.

You don't need to but you'll be in a world of hurt (as Zogging Hell alluded to), if you don't.

The original manual I scanned and linked above covers HD installation.

• Like 1

OK, I've got a Discovery cart so I can use that to make back up's of MAC disks with it? That one app I haven't used yet with my Discovery cart. I'm going to reset my SH205/Megafile 20 with new partitions or just delete all on files partition D: so I can use Spectre GCR, anyway I've missed placed my drivers for my SatanDisk from ParanoidLittleMam. :?

Edited by walter_J64bit

Update, I'm waiting for my OS to come in. Now my internal drive in my STE has stopped working :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: but I do have a 1.44 drive that I can change the drive ID number to 0 so that's installed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Right now I learning more about the Spectre GCR w/o an OS now I know how setup the my Spectre GCR to work with my SatanDisk and I think, I know how to use my Discovery cart to copy MAC/Magic Scan disk but with out my OS I cant tell just yet. ;-)

Edited by walter_J64bit

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the OS in but the guy that sold them didn't packing the disk's to great and they don't work. He didn't use a box to send me the disk's he'd just used plastic rap and a cheap bubble package. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Now I'll have to PM him to see if I can get replacements disks. :spidey:

Edited by walter_J64bit

The good news is there's a lot of stuff that is working properly on your system for you to see a Mac system error. Your ST didn't crash, Spectre software didn't crash and the Spectre GCR was able to read the Mac disks. I'm a longtime Mac user and don't recall what a MBDF error is, but it doesn't appear to be a disk error.

I scanned the GCR manual linked above and on page 66 is a section stating 'Things you definitely should not ever do'. Among them is to NOT shutdown or restart from the Finder. The manual states using shutdown or restart from the Finder will not update the disk directory. This will likely corrupt the Mac System installation. I recommend reinstalling the Mac System again the proper way outlined in the manual.