IGNORED

HDTV question

Atariboy

Been thinking about getting a new tv, but I'm confused with one of the models I'm looking at.

It's advertised as having a component input (A rarity these days). Yet when looking at the picture of the television inputs, I see what appears to be two RCA jacks. One is for L/R audio and the other is a shared composite/component input.

I'm not confused by the composite/component sharing of this port since I know that's been common in recent years as manufacturers seek to cut cost yet retain compatibility with analog sources. What I'm confused about is that there's just a single input for component.

Are there adapters for this sort of thing? The online manual doesn't provide any clarification on how you're supposed to connect component video with three RCA style plugs to just a single port video input on the tv.

Edited by Atariboy

Got a picture to clear this up?

The TVs here, the component/composite are shared. So the back of the TV will have like 5 jacks in a row, you have your RED/WHITE for the audio channels, then the 3 others (reddish, bluish, greenish) and usually the green or blue is marked also as bypass for the traditional RCA yellow port. Sucks if you want to use either feature, fine if you don't.

Yeah, those look like 1/8 jacks. That means all 3 component connections are in that single input. I've never seen a 1/8 component jack before, but I'm certain they must exist for this to work. That is an extreme cost cutting measure there, but I guess it's better than nothing. This is a sign that component is probably only one generation of TVs from completely disappearing.

• Like 1