xl start slower

AirKon

Hello,

Excuse me, I use google translate.

I recently purchased 4 XL/XE Atari.

Two 800XL (secam rose, I am French)

one 130XE

one 600XL

I have an 800xl that starts instantly ( sound and screen), but the others start slower.

The sound takes a few seconds to come.

Is it a capacitor problem?

Thank you.

The power switch can be so worn out that it actually takes a matter of seconds to make contact after you flip it on. That's worth checking but I wouldn't imagine three machines to have the exact same issue. I've also seen factory flux residue under the power switch legs and/or power jack cause shorts which produce the exact same slow power-up effect. Of course caps are also worth looking at, as is the 555 chip which holds the hardware in a reset state until the power supply has stabilised.

• Like 3

Thank you,
I'll run some more tests.
What is curious is for the sound, it always happens 5 to 6 seconds after the start of the sound sequence.
For example, with the self-test the music starts on the screen and the sound arrives only 5 seconds later.

If that happens with all the computers then it is probably your TV doing the sound delay. I've seen this from a TV.

Also be careful about the old power supplies. Many of them should have the DIN side of the cord cut off and throw the rest away. Save the ones with the XL style case though, they are great and can be repaired/restored to full function.

Yes check the capacitors and for upgrades. A cap can look fine but there can be leakage underneath.

And while you're in the computers, take note of which XL machines are fully socketed or partially socketed. Many are and that adds value for resell. The RAM and all the custom chips are especially nice to have this way. Also note if your XL machines have proper mechanical keyboards with the brown PCB under the keycaps. The mech keyboards CONTROL will be bigger typefont while the font on most keys is more narrow similar to arial font. The XE machines will not be socketed nor have mechanical kybds. XE's are of a cheaper build, but are still good machines.

i'd be inclined to go down the power route - as per Jon's suggestion.

I recall a friend who had a similar problem last year with an XE , where his xe was taking upto 30 seconds to powerup

- think that was power switch related too.

Edited by Guest

that's some gummed up sticky switch if that is the case, time for a pop off of the plastic rocker, gentle inware pressure on the metal stalk and a few shots of de oxit and or tuner cleaner... work it a bit, line the stalk up with the rocker and snap it back on... witht the gunk melted and cleaned it might be okay again... else replace... Not to difficult to deal with..