IGNORED

New Dreamcast controller on Kickstarter

Flojomojo

I don't see that it is wireless but that would be cool. They do mention, "No more cords in your way, controller cord no longer goes out the bottom, but now goes out the top."

Oops ...I stopped reading at "Sit back and enjoy gaming at a distance" and missed "with an extra long 10 foot cord!"

Less tempting, at least for me.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks so much less crappy than the standard Dreamcast controller. Looks like its production is all but assured, but I'll wait for the reviews before I bite. I get the feeling that my Dreamcast is going to be plenty expensive to maintain as it is, what with its need for a GDEMU and all.

...aawwww you guys already said all I wanted to say.

Thanks @flojo for posting the news.

Yeah the 6-face buttons is a lost opportunity especially given they had such layout already for the N64 ... we'll see how this one pans out, apparently for the N64 there is a v2.0 that fixed some issues so I expect something similar here.

The Dreamcast controller never felt quite right in my hands, so I'd love to check this out when it releases. Wish it was a little bit cheaper though.

I could get one for $43 by supporting the Kickstarter, but their early issues with the N64 controller makes me want to avoid essentially preordering a 1st run example. Best to wait and hear what the Dreamcast community's verdict is before buying one.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Wow, that looks so much less crappy than the standard Dreamcast controller. Looks like its production is all but assured, but I'll wait for the reviews before I bite. I get the feeling that my Dreamcast is going to be plenty expensive to maintain as it is, what with its need for a GDEMU and all.

I really don’t mind the standard controllers. If I get another one, it will probably be the wireless DreamCon.

There's supposed to be wireless Dreamcast controllers from Retro Bit coming out third quarter of this year, so I'm not too interested in this besides the form factor, which does look more comfortable. I wish them all the best though since it's great to have more controller options for the mighty Dreamcast.

• Like 1

First of all, the Dreamcast third party controller issue is a big problem. Nobody is currently selling new controllers or new controller designs. You can find NOS and you can find used, but that's it.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure here. With the exception of fighting games, I like the Dreamcast controller. I absolutely love my Dreamcast. I've already put a couple hundred bucks into pimping it out with the Noctua fan mod, a GDEMU clone, and a picoPSU. So it'd be stupid of me to not get the best input devices possible. But I'm getting tired of wired controllers and extensions that run along the floor because I sit across my living room from the TV. By and large, Retro-Bit makes junk but they made a big deal about the Sega license and using original molds.

Retrofighters missed a big opportunity to go with 6 face buttons. They went to the trouble of putting shoulder buttons on there next to the triggers, so they should have just gone all the way. Then they could have reused a bunch of the tooling and parts for the Saturn 3D controller that they haven't yet announced. And it's not wireless. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm spoiled by my Genesis, SNES, and NES with their wireless options.

So this thing has some stuff going for it, and I understand what they say about not all the parts being readily available to buy. That goes back to my opening and I've come full circle.

Nobody is making the Dreamcast controller *for me* yet, although Retro-Bit purports to be.

The Dreamcast controller never felt quite right in my hands, so I'd love to check this out when it releases. Wish it was a little bit cheaper though.

I could get one for $43 by supporting the Kickstarter, but their early issues with the N64 controller makes me want to avoid essentially preordering a 1st run example. Best to wait and hear what the Dreamcast community's verdict is before buying one.

I will say, they were awesome about that. They were supposed to send me a replacement part just for the left trigger issue. They sent me an entire new controller. I was so stunned I went and checked my Paypal to make sure they hadn't re-ordered it on me or something.

• Like 2

First of all, the Dreamcast third party controller issue is a big problem. Nobody is currently selling new controllers or new controller designs. You can find NOS and you can find used, but that's it.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure here. With the exception of fighting games, I like the Dreamcast controller. I absolutely love my Dreamcast. I've already put a couple hundred bucks into pimping it out with the Noctua fan mod, a GDEMU clone, and a picoPSU. So it'd be stupid of me to not get the best input devices possible. But I'm getting tired of wired controllers and extensions that run along the floor because I sit across my living room from the TV. By and large, Retro-Bit makes junk but they made a big deal about the Sega license and using original molds.

Retrofighters missed a big opportunity to go with 6 face buttons. They went to the trouble of putting shoulder buttons on there next to the triggers, so they should have just gone all the way. Then they could have reused a bunch of the tooling and parts for the Saturn 3D controller that they haven't yet announced. And it's not wireless. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm spoiled by my Genesis, SNES, and NES with their wireless options.

So this thing has some stuff going for it, and I understand what they say about not all the parts being readily available to buy. That goes back to my opening and I've come full circle.

Nobody is making the Dreamcast controller *for me* yet, although Retro-Bit purports to be.

Sega Saturn controller adapters have been available for Dreamcast since it was current. I bought my pair at EB. Saturn pads are cheap and easy to find and no substitute will be any better for 2D games.

If this new controller fills the gap for overall 3D control then it's all that's needed.

Sega Saturn controller adapters have been available for Dreamcast since it was current. I bought my pair at EB. Saturn pads are cheap and easy to find and no substitute will be any better for 2D games.

If this new controller fills the gap for overall 3D control then it's all that's needed.

Yes, that's nice, but even those are new-old stock (NOS, as I wrote it above) and $40. I do happen to own Saturn controllers, but if you had to add that price to it, it gets pretty crazy.

And I disagree that's all that's needed, because the perfect controller for me still hasn't been made. Even the adapter requires a wire. :P

Edited by derFunkenstein

their early issues with the N64 controller makes me want to avoid essentially preordering a 1st run example. Best to wait and hear what the Dreamcast community's verdict is before buying one.

I backed the N64 controller and their response was amazing. I was sent the original controller I backed, and then at no extra charge was sent a replacement controller. So, I wouldn't hesitate to back back them again if this is something you are interested in. They seem to do right by their customers. I just wish they already started with the colors....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...