IGNORED

Post-Crash Mail Order Vendor - Help Me Remember!

SpotAnime

I can't peg the year, but I want to say around 1985-86. Definitely post-crash. It had been a couple of years since I moved on from my home consoles and onto the Commodore 64, but there was a period where I started to pull out my old consoles - Intellivision, Colecovision, and the 5200 - and I immediately fell back in love with the 5200. I remember looking around for games for the 5200 I didn't have, especially since bargain bins were full of cheap games after the video game crash - but I remember having trouble finding 5200 games in store.

I stopped by my local Toys R Us and asked the kid behind the cage if they had any 5200 games left, and they said no, but he wrote down an address for me to write to where I may be able to mail order some games. This TRU was in suburban Chicago, BTW (Merrillville, IN, near Southlake Mall).

So I wrote to this company (I *think* they were in California, maybe Texas?) and a couple of weeks later I got this multipage list of products they were selling for cheap. It wasn't a catalog, more like a Xeroxed listing of products. I mean, brand new factory sealed games for like $5, new controllers and accessories. I remember specifically, I ordered the Gremlins game for $8 and the roller controller for $15 (!). I think I spent $35 in total for a few games, a new joystick and the roller controller.

Recently, I've been really curious who this mystery company was. It definitely wasn't Atari. Could it have been Best back then? And a bonus, if perhaps someone would have a copy of that mail order product list, it would be amazing to see that again.

Oh, and extra kudos to that kid in the TRU games cage who actually knew, long after Atari stopped production of the 5200, where I could still buy games for that system!

• Like 2

i never had trouble getting old stock from kaybee toys but yea fro mail order it was probably telegames for new old stock

there was a couple of companies that bought and sold so it was used and they mostly did just nes,gen,snes

i too am a commodore maniac i got like 50 games for the 5200 but like 1500 disks of games for the c64

oh geez i just checked and its approx 2500 disks

Edited by bohoki

For me,if it weren't for Telegames in the UK I probably wouldn't have Spiker! Volleyball and Learning Fun 1 and 2 in boxed mint condition.

Yes,for most after crash games it was Telegames UK and Texas, and Radioshack who did mail order as well. :)

Edited by wolfy62

I can think of a couple of others you might try to look up, but I have no idea when they quit selling; They are G.A.M.E.S. and (this one's a long shot, but (where I got my ColecoVision in 1982)) Maxaron Home Entertainment. Those are just shots in the dark though :)

I remember stopping by G.A.M.E.S. every month after school to stock up on 5200 gear in 1983 when I first got my first unit, they were located on Valjean Ave. in Van Nuys, CA, (I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, around Northridge and Sepulveda) a dream for any videogame enthusiast, coin ops, computers, and every home unit put out back then, I was a 5200 loyalist and since I owned a non-asterisk 4-port, the VCS adapter was no option for us, even though they did carry them. Most of my carts (pre-1984) came from G.A.M.E.S. before they went out of business.

• Like 2

I remember stopping by G.A.M.E.S. every month after school to stock up on 5200 gear in 1983 when I first got my first unit, they were located on Valjean Ave. in Van Nuys, CA, (I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, around Northridge and Sepulveda) a dream for any videogame enthusiast, coin ops, computers, and every home unit put out back then, I was a 5200 loyalist and since I owned a non-asterisk 4-port, the VCS adapter was no option for us, even though they did carry them. Most of my carts (pre-1984) came from G.A.M.E.S. before they went out of business.

That's Awesome!

That's where I bought my Vectrex! I'm not sure which location, probably that one :) It was probably 1982, and we were on vacation. They had the Vectrex on display and it was half price!! ($99 IIRC)...

Anyway I just threw those names out there in case it would help...

I bought some Intellivision stuff at GAMES for sure! I lived 15 minutes from the store,and I remember it closed when the crash happened in 1984.

I remember getting an Inty2 brand new at Toys R US then for $69.99 for my Sisters Christmas present. I wish I had bought a spare and stuck it in a closet. :thumbsup:

A quick update - I sent out an email to Telegames inquiring if this could have been them, and got an email back that pretty much removes them from inclusion here. They wrote back saying they only did proper catalogs and not a xeroxed list of products, and that they didn't sell their products cheap just to recoup cost on their NOS investments.

So, I guess we can strike Telegames from the list. Keep coming with your suggestions and I'll keep investigating!