MrBeefy

Amico Updates

It's not supposed to come out until 2020, so I don't think so. They're not taking money, fortunately.

I am way more excited for this than the Atacobox. It at least seems they are going to go about it the right way. I love the idea of what they want to do with this console. Will it be successful? Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

I find it slightly embarrassing. I like the general philosophy of the system, but Tallarico won't convince any hardcore gamer (especially a retrogamer) with that - he may not want to anyway. Virtual buttons are already awkward on a phone or a tablet, but if you're watching a TV screen at the same time, you won't be able to easily 'find' them. Even if they're very large, you might end up between them... :( The interviewer tries to be constructive by talking about aiming as if it was a good idea for 3D shooters, but Amico is supposed to be focusing on 2D gaming... :roll:

And I find the situation quite ironic since I recall seing Tallarico completely puzzled by the Wii remote (back in 2006 I guess)... :grin: Well, I remember he didn't like the fact that is was separated from the nunchuk.

• Like 1

Their target market is not hardcore gamers. The shoulder/side buttons and disc/pad are real not virtual. When you swipe a touchpad to move it doesn't matter where you contact it so you can't miss. I'd still like to see a bubble overlay for the touchscreen.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

ever play an Intellivision II with the later replacement controller? Completely smooth. Sucked so bad!

If a bubbled overlay could be added, it would ( well could ) make a huge difference.

• Like 3

Their target market is not hardcore gamers.

That's precisely what worries me about the Amico, its target market. On one hand, it seems to cater to retrogamers (Intellivision brand, 2D games, remakes of old games, etc.) and on the other, to 'new gamers' (touch and motion controls) that got interested in video games with Wii and Kinect. But I'm not sure the intersection of these two sets is very wide... I'm in charge of a retrogaming website and retrogamers are mostly conservative in my experience. The fact that Amico games will only be sold digitally is already a problem to them, and a lot of them don't want to hear about mobile gaming because of touch controls, even if you can also use traditional controllers now.

Of course there are more open-minded people like me that think the Amico could be a bridge between old gamers favoring simple experiences and their children, but I'm not sure it is enough to become a commercial success.

The nice thing about touchscreens is they're like a dynamic version of the old Intellivision keypad overlays -- they can be whatever you need them to be. That allows for potentially more meaningful interactions than "press A for action." They can also be a lot more newbie-friendly than a console controller.

I'm more interested in them doing cool things than commercial success, but one thing leads to another. No money, no games.

The "core gamers" show themselves to be inflexible and unimaginative every time something new comes along. I don't think this is meant for the Xbox crowd.

We have to see the games, but despite their last press release I expect retrogaming will be less and less significant to amico going forward. The bubbled overlay idea is just for playing old intellivision games, which most of their target market won't care about. Developers creating new games will program them to work well with these new controllers. Hopefully, we'll see some game play later this year.

Edited by mr_me

They're tinkering with the controller design so it's already different from what they revealed last october.

TommyT talks a bit about the controller in this november interview at about 45m.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwlOjS5ASfQ

Thanks. I love the idea. Honestly it will come down to games/amount of games.

Why do you think retro will be less of a focus?

Edited by MrBeefy

If they are going to sell a million of these things, they'll need something more than burgertime and night stalker remakes. I could be wrong.

Edited by mr_me

Is the family friendly aspect still there? Are they trying to make the controllers better suited to (what) children (are used to)?

Children easily adapt. It's adults that complain about changes.

As far as I know, they are promoting all games will have a maximum rating of E10+. That doesn't mean games can't be designed for adults.

Edited by mr_me

Ok, after viewing part of that video, it seems one of the target groups are people with arthritis, which probably matches retro gamers to a huge extent.

• Like 2

If they are going to sell a million of these things, they'll need something more than burgertime and night stalker remakes. I could be wrong.

You are absolutely correct! Remade classic games only represent 25% of the new Amico library on launch.

Haven't heard anything for awhile. I was curious if I had missed something.

You can hear all of the most up-to-date public info in my last interview here:

We are saving a LOT of info for E3 in June.

Expect MANY playable demos and lots of gameplay footage. :)

• Like 1

It's not supposed to come out until 2020, so I don't think so. They're not taking money, fortunately.

Exactly! No failed Indiegogo campaign here. :)

That's precisely what worries me about the Amico, its target market. On one hand, it seems to cater to retrogamers (Intellivision brand, 2D games, remakes of old games, etc.) and on the other, to 'new gamers' (touch and motion controls) that got interested in video games with Wii and Kinect. But I'm not sure the intersection of these two sets is very wide... I'm in charge of a retrogaming website and retrogamers are mostly conservative in my experience. The fact that Amico games will only be sold digitally is already a problem to them, and a lot of them don't want to hear about mobile gaming because of touch controls, even if you can also use traditional controllers now.

Of course there are more open-minded people like me that think the Amico could be a bridge between old gamers favoring simple experiences and their children, but I'm not sure it is enough to become a commercial success.

We are not relying on Retro Gamers for our success. We are building a machine for everyone. The same target market as the Wii (102 million consoles sold) and Mobile gaming (now 55% of the entire video game industry). And the games we are doing will represent all types of people & age groups. From casual, to hardcore, to retro and first timers. And the best part...? They'll ALL be able to compete together and have fun.

You mentioned that Amico games will only be sold digitally... that isn't true. Folks will have both options... and when you hear about what we're doing in the "physical" space... it's going to blow people away. More info coming this summer. :)

• Like 4

We have to see the games, but despite their last press release I expect retrogaming will be less and less significant to amico going forward. The bubbled overlay idea is just for playing old intellivision games, which most of their target market won't care about. Developers creating new games will program them to work well with these new controllers. Hopefully, we'll see some game play later this year.

You are 100% correct! Everyone needs to see the games and how they interact with the new controller design. Lots of things about the controller have NOT been revealed yet as we are still filing patents. :)

We intend on having 20 playable games at E3 in June as well as a new trailer showing a TON of gameplay.

• Like 1

Thanks. I love the idea. Honestly it will come down to games/amount of games.

Why do you think retro will be less of a focus?

Retro will make up about 25% of our overall launch titles.

• Like 1

Children easily adapt. It's adults that complain about changes.

As far as I know, they are promoting all games will have a maximum rating of E10+. That doesn't mean games can't be designed for adults.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

So many people immediately want to dismiss the system because we said that. Which is hilarious to me considering almost EVERY first party Nintendo game has been rated E for the past 35 years. EVERY game all of us played growing up (whether in the arcades, on Intellivision, Atari, Coleco, etc.) would have been rated E (with games like Custard being the exception). :)

But just because something is rated E doesn't mean it's only for kids. Really surprised that people think that.

• Like 4