IGNORED

Buying games to my collection

Knud

Hi guys, i am a new fanatic about the Atari Jaguar.

I have been browsing ebay for games, and so many are sealed. I have mainly done nintendo collecting up to this point, and when

they are sealed, the prices is way above standard CIB

So what is you're take on that, is simular price for CIB and sealed games, would i not want to open them up since it seems like the price is simular.

I am kind of into the gaming part as well, throw the cartridge in and give it a spin which maby not all collectors are keen on.

It looks to me like a different market from what i know from other gaming consoles.

• Like 1

Hey Knud, welcome to the Jag forum,

When it comes to Jaguar, there is / was still quite a bit of new old stock available, it wasn't until recently some of the distributors started running dry on games available.

I've purchased and opened quite a few new old stock Jaguar titles as the prices were not too different from the used eBay copies.

Ultimately, for playable collector copies, it's a good route to take while you can in my opinion.

I agree with the others. Do not buy on eBay unless you do your homework first and can’t find anything in the marketplace forum. This isn’t an “investment”, and you can get burned quickly if you think it is. Just collect as if you’re going to play it all, and you’ll be OK. Atari released 10 or so good to great games, a bunch of mediocre stuff, and some terrible crap. Just focus on the good games here, as none of Atari’s releases are really that rare or “collectable”. Songbird has some good titles, and a lot — not all — homebrews are pretty good. Don’t go after the ultra rare homebrews: none of them offer value (in playability) for money.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback guys , this clarified mostly what i was wondering about.
What i did in my nintendo collection was collecting playable games and mostly get rid of the crap.

It is tempting to go for complete set on the Jag, since it is just around 50 titles, but ofc it would not be an investment like pure gold.
I am wondering about it from a collectors point of view :)

But i am not running around buying games...yet, i like to research it a bit first and get the feel for the market.

I am also located in Iceland, and people offer variable shipping prices. Probably best to buy couple each time, if possible

I appreciate the feedback guys , this clarified mostly what i was wondering about.

What i did in my nintendo collection was collecting playable games and mostly get rid of the crap.

It is tempting to go for complete set on the Jag, since it is just around 50 titles, but ofc it would not be an investment like pure gold.

I am wondering about it from a collectors point of view :)

I'm going to repeat myself: it's not an investment at all. People tend to amass complete Atari releases because we like the Jag and the crap games tend to collect around you like lint. :) But like I said, the best games tend to be the commons and nothing is really unavailable at this point, even though I routinely see even Tempest 2000 creeping above $50 USD today. Perhaps in twenty years or so it will be, but I wouldn't want to spend the next couple of decades putting in time looking for and enjoying "gems" like Supercross 3D and Double Dragon V. Prices have more than doubled in the past ten years, but that's true of most vintage game systems, so I'm not sure you can say that the Jag is now more "collectable" than in the past.

I should also add that I don't know that having an unopened game adds anything to the value. I'd rather have a used game that's been tested to work rather than run the risk of buying a broken game that still in its cellophane, but to each their own. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to repeat myself: it's not an investment at all. People tend to amass complete Atari releases because we like the Jag and the crap games tend to collect around you like lint. :) But like I said, the best games tend to be the commons and nothing is really unavailable at this point, even though I routinely see even Tempest 2000 creeping above $50 USD today. Perhaps in twenty years or so it will be, but I wouldn't want to spend the next couple of decades putting in time looking for and enjoying "gems" like Supercross 3D and Double Dragon V. Prices have more than doubled in the past ten years, but that's true of most vintage game systems, so I'm not sure you can say that the Jag is now more "collectable" than in the past.

I should also add that I don't know that having an unopened game adds anything to the value. I'd rather have a used game that's been tested to work rather than run the risk of buying a broken game that still in its cellophane, but to each their own. :)

Thanks for the input, i understand you're point of view :)

What i was basicly trying to ask if people find that the sealed games are simular price as good CIB copy. I do not want to keep a wall of sealed games, but would want a game in good shape,

and very good shape vs sealed price seemed to be around the same pricepoint.

Like somebody mentioned here, that a new old stock of games had been feeding the market of fresh copies.

Don't forget AA user - Gaztee ;)

Gaztee is probably better for most EU residents, since I believe he's in the UK. Atleast until brexit that is...

For Iceland I'm unsure, but buying from the US as a swede has become expensive as hell, the government is in dire need of taxes and has begun to impot tax everything from outside the EU with a vengeance, tolls + administration fees + 25% VAT on the lot of it. quickly doubling the price of anything bought from the US. It's even more ridicilous when you buy a 50 cent spare part, the customs bill is a minimum $10... There used to be a $50 limit before they applied customs.

Funny enough, you can decline the goods, which many swedes has done, the swedish postal service now have 100.000's of packages they don't know what to do with now. The chinese learned quickly though, routing their stuff via another EU country... lol

But according to the news, the other EU countries are now eyeing what the swedish government is doing, and will probably implement the same scheme in 2021 or so...

I am located in Europe, Iceland. I know about 2 guys who own Jaguars in the country

Cool! How is it with other Atari systems? Lynx, ST, 8'bit, classic consoles?

Also, you should check out telegames in the uk, they also got a lot of jaguar stuff.

And look at getting a skunk board, unless you want to wait for Saints SD cartridge, but I think the skunk will still be useful even after the sd-cart arrives.

Cool! How is it with other Atari systems? Lynx, ST, 8'bit, classic consoles?

Also, you should check out telegames in the uk, they also got a lot of jaguar stuff.

And look at getting a skunk board, unless you want to wait for Saints SD cartridge, but I think the skunk will still be useful even after the sd-cart arrives.

Another Scandinavian!

Well, collectors overall of old video game consoles are not many that i know of. Maby around 5 collectors i know of. The nation is only around 350.000 people.

I know there is a lynx here :)

My intrest in Jaguar has made me be more open to other Atari products, like the 2600. I have not seen many of that around for sale

I also have a passion about the NES, which i have focused on for like 5 years.

• Like 2