IGNORED

Soulsborne thead (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne)

Austin

I had a very unproductive evening with the game last night.    Tried to repeatedly take down Fire Giant with no luck.  Couldn't find summons,  and for this boss there's three places to look for potential summons-  two gates and the site of grace, so lots of running back and forth.   

Oh and I read that 'Iron Fist Alexander' is an available NPC summon for this fight,  but I couldn't find his sign.   I think I screwed up his questline after the redmane battle.   I find it very difficult to stay on top of these questlines.

So I decided to maybe try to take down some bosses that I put off earlier in the game.

First I decided to take down the Gargoyle boss outside of Bestial Sanctum.  I teleported to the Bestial Sanctum site, and got immediately attacked by Gurranq,  WTF!?!   I don't know what triggered him but after beating him up a bit he became passive again.   But then I walked outside and got repeatedly destroyed by the Gargoyle.   I hate flying bosses!  As a melee user as soon as I get close enough to a flying boss to get a hit in, they fly off and spew something nasty all over you.

After no luck with the Gargoyle, I decided to try that scarlet-rot breathing dragon in the middle of Caelid.   I have the "Flame, Cleanse Me" spell now so I can get rid of the rot build up.    The spell helped, but see my comment about flying bosses.   He'd fly up and breathe a cloud of Scarlet Rot and do massive damage at the same time,  I had to try to both heal and cure the rot before he got his next attack in, and there often wasn't time for both.  I did manage to get his health down to almost nothing a couple of times but I just couldn't get the last hit in and I'd run out of healing potions.

Really frustrating Night!

But then this morning I decided to log in again before work.   Managed to finally take down the Caelid dragon.  Feeling pumped, I went back to the fire giant.   I read online that the "rivers of blood katana" from the nearby church was an excellent weapon to use against this boss.   So I go to equip it and.. .   My arcane is way too low!  Ugh why did I go with a melee build again?    

As a last resort I decided to look for summons again.   Had the best luck by the site of grace.   Managed to get someone who knew how to fight this boss and it was over rather quickly, finally!     But I feel like I'm underpowered for the snowy areas after the Capital, so I dread what comes next. 

One cool thing I found last night while trying to backtrack on Alexander's quest,  Jarburg-  a hidden villiage near Carian Study Hall populated by non-hostile living jars.   You can get useful items and they grow a bunch of rare flowers for crafting that you can repeatedly pick.   I'd say it's worth seeking out if you haven't found it.

I spent two days ripping through Dark Souls III this week. I have to say, Elden Ring feels like it raised the intensity bar to the point where a lot of DS3's hardest bosses felt kind of tame compared to what I remembered. Friede only took a few tries (and I didn't even have to summon!), Darkeater Midir just a couple tries, got Gael on the first try, Nameless King only took a few, etc.  

Normally I would play this on PC, but since I have a Series X now I decided to try the FPS Boost option for this game. It was pretty nice, never dipping below 60. Visuals are a little rough on a 4K display, not nearly as bad on a 1080p display, but it was still enjoyable. Load times were much faster than on a stock Xbox One too.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I had a very unproductive evening with the game last night.    Tried to repeatedly take down Fire Giant with no luck.  Couldn't find summons,  and for this boss there's three places to look for potential summons-  two gates and the site of grace, so lots of running back and forth.   

Oh and I read that 'Iron Fist Alexander' is an available NPC summon for this fight,  but I couldn't find his sign.   I think I screwed up his questline after the redmane battle.   I find it very difficult to stay on top of these questlines.

So I decided to maybe try to take down some bosses that I put off earlier in the game.

First I decided to take down the Gargoyle boss outside of Bestial Sanctum.  I teleported to the Bestial Sanctum site, and got immediately attacked by Gurranq,  WTF!?!   I don't know what triggered him but after beating him up a bit he became passive again.   But then I walked outside and got repeatedly destroyed by the Gargoyle.   I hate flying bosses!  As a melee user as soon as I get close enough to a flying boss to get a hit in, they fly off and spew something nasty all over you.

After no luck with the Gargoyle, I decided to try that scarlet-rot breathing dragon in the middle of Caelid.   I have the "Flame, Cleanse Me" spell now so I can get rid of the rot build up.    The spell helped, but see my comment about flying bosses.   He'd fly up and breathe a cloud of Scarlet Rot and do massive damage at the same time,  I had to try to both heal and cure the rot before he got his next attack in, and there often wasn't time for both.  I did manage to get his health down to almost nothing a couple of times but I just couldn't get the last hit in and I'd run out of healing potions.

But then this morning I decided to log in again before work.   Managed to finally take down the Caelid dragon.  Feeling pumped, I went back to the fire giant.   I read online that the "rivers of blood katana" from the nearby church was an excellent weapon to use against this boss.   So I go to equip it and.. .   My arcane is way too low!  Ugh why did I go with a melee build again?    

As a last resort I decided to look for summons again.   Had the best luck by the site of grace.   Managed to get someone who knew how to fight this boss and it was over rather quickly, finally!     But I feel like I'm underpowered for the snowy areas after the Capital, so I dread what comes next. 

One cool thing I found last night while trying to backtrack on Alexander's quest,  Jarburg-  a hidden villiage near Carian Study Hall populated by non-hostile living jars.   You can get useful items and they grow a bunch of rare flowers for crafting that you can repeatedly pick.   I'd say it's worth seeking out if you haven't found it.

Way I took him out was a long haul, equip yourself with a decent ranged bow (I used a +7 pulley Bow) and lots of posion arrows, find yourself a decent high spot, with cover and posion the hell out of him till he's little health remaining, then get in behind him and take him out. 

Had a frustrating afternoon here as well, was levelling up my equip load, so I could wear  the Dung Eater Omen armour, a pain, as i had been increasing my faith stats till i picked this armour set up.. 

Picked up Malformed Dragon Armour set which only offers enhanced lighting protection over what i am currently using.. 

Found Somber Miner's ballbearings 3,4 and 5, didn't really offer much more. 

My Axe Of Godrick is now+10 and apparently a God-slaying weapon ?

But ruddy hell... Crumbling Farm Azula can do one. 

Finally reached Beside The Great Bridge and MALIKETH, THE BLACK Blade boss fight, that itself ended badly. 

But getting there, invasion after invasion after invasion. 

Everybody the invaders, the people i summon, are heavy magic users, making me feel once again i choose the wrong build. 

The invaders handed myself and those with me, our backsides each and every time. 

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Tell me about it!  I've decided Bloodborne it the best Soulsbourne game simply because it lacks dragons :)

Tempest-Facing Balcony.. 

Another dragon. 

My +10 God slaying Axe does pathetic damage to it. 

If there's one thing Elden Ring over uses, it's the bloody dragons. 

4 hours ago, zzip said:

Legend, just found Jarburg. 

Also, picked up Lionels Armour tonight, using that now. 

2 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Way I took him out was a long haul, equip yourself with a decent ranged bow (I used a +7 pulley Bow) and lots of posion arrows, find yourself a decent high spot, with cover and posion the hell out of him till he's little health remaining, then get in behind him and take him out. 

In Dark Souls I used to get the poison mist pyromancy and breath on enemies and sit back and watch them slowly die.   Haven't done much with poison in ER yet--  having too much fun with my frostbite sword.   

3 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

But getting there, invasion after invasion after invasion. 

Everybody the invaders, the people i summon, are heavy magic users, making me feel once again i choose the wrong build. 

I have not had that many invasions so far.   Usually when I do it's after I summoned a couple of people and the 3 of us take care of the invader fairly quickly

20 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

My Axe Of Godrick is now+10 and apparently a God-slaying weapon ?

But ruddy hell... Crumbling Farm Azula can do one. 

Finally reached Beside The Great Bridge and MALIKETH, THE BLACK Blade boss fight, that itself ended badly. 

I looked at the recommended progression path and it seems that Crumbling Farum is a little above my level,   decided to do Consecrated Snowfield first.   But to get there it requires another two halves of a medallion.

One of the halves was in another villiage in Liurnia that I somehow missed even though I previously found a grace site right by it.   Liurnia still holds a lot of secrets apparently.

Also decided to take another look at the paintings.    If you find the location of the painting and the exact spot the artist painted them from,  you will briefly see the ghost of the artist and get some item(s) as a reward.   So far I've solved two of them.   I'm pretty sure I have a good idea about two others but haven't found the exact spot yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I looked at the recommended progression path and it seems that Crumbling Farum is a little above my level,   decided to do Consecrated Snowfield first.   But to get there it requires another two halves of a medallion.

One of the halves was in another villiage in Liurnia that I somehow missed even though I previously found a grace site right by it.   Liurnia still holds a lot of secrets apparently.

Also decided to take another look at the paintings.    If you find the location of the painting and the exact spot the artist painted them from,  you will briefly see the ghost of the artist and get some item(s) as a reward.   So far I've solved two of them.   I'm pretty sure I have a good idea about two others but haven't found the exact spot yet

What type of rewards do you get? 

I've a few paintings in my inventory, not bothered with them. 

6 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

What type of rewards do you get? 

I've a few paintings in my inventory, not bothered with them. 

I think one was an outfit, I forget the other.   In a game that hands out rewards like candy it may not seem like much.   But painting quests are relaxing and a nice distraction from the frustration when you just lost to a boss 10x in a row.

6 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

I only finished one painting quest, for Caelid. I got a spell I'll never use (which is the majority of spells).

That's probably one of the ones I'm looking for.    I know the general area it should be , but it seems the right spot might be up a cliff I haven't figured out how to access yet.

7 minutes ago, zzip said:

That's probably one of the ones I'm looking for.    I know the general area it should be , but it seems the right spot might be up a cliff I haven't figured out how to access yet.

You have to carefully platform down from the minor erdtree in the dragonbarrow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gentlegamer said:

I only finished one painting quest, for Caelid. I got a spell I'll never use (which is the majority of spells).

Literally drowning in spells here as well, game hands them out like candy.

The most powerful pyromancy ones in my inventory are going to take weeks to level upto being able to use if I want to stick with my current build and i just want to finish the game now and be done with it. 

And is it just me or is there more platform jumping required in this than any of the Souls titles? 

Edited by Lostdragon

4 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

And is it just me or is there more platform jumping required in this than any of the Souls titles? 

Yeah, there is.  They probably figured they'd throw in some platforming since they added jumping.

Or did any of the others have jumping and I'm just not remembering?   I seem to recall running and using a hard attack to "mimic" a jump in Dark Souls, but they all blend together for me after so many playthroughs.

• Like 1

So today. 

Levelled up stats to point I can wear Dung Eater Armour set without being over burdened. 

Took out a few of the feckers who'd been doing my head in (Dragon Greyll and Regal Ancestor Spirt) also Battlemage Hughes.. 

Then started giving something back to the community, summon sign down in all the areas that I couldn't of done without help. 

Been spending hours with twin gargoyle fight ?

5 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Or did any of the others have jumping and I'm just not remembering?   I seem to recall running and using a hard attack to "mimic" a jump in Dark Souls, but they all blend together for me after so many playthroughs.

Yes, the others had jumping, but it could only be activated during running. 

• Like 1

Starting to wonder if I will ever finish this damn thing. 

So, defeated Black Blade Kindred, upgraded my Banished Knights Heavy Halberd to +22.

Reached Castle Sol

But getting half my life destroyed by frickin big eagles.. 

Reached Commander Niall, didn't go well. 

Frostbite is a real killer as well. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, Razzie.P said:

They had running jumps,  which were easy to screw up, but sometimes you neeeded to do it.   But you couldn't jump from standing still.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lostdragon said:

But getting half my life destroyed by frickin big eagles.. 

Really?  I thought those were one of the easier things in Castle Sol compared to the lions and the "teleporting" enemies.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lostdragon said:

Reached Commander Niall, didn't go well. 

I found that to be a fairly easy place to find summons,  I got lucky that I summoned someone who wrecked him.    Apart from that,  take out his "friends" first, especially the one on your right, while keeping your distance from him.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:54 AM, Lostdragon said:

The most powerful pyromancy ones in my inventory are going to take weeks to level upto being able to use if I want to stick with my current build and i just want to finish the game now and be done with it. 

I'm getting increasingly tempted to go to Queen Rennala and respec my character to become a magic or faith user.   Seems like they have all the fun!   Just got a Frenzy spell that shoots frenzy from your eyes.   Sounds like a great time, but I'll never level up my faith enough to be able to use it while focusing on the melee stats.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:54 AM, Lostdragon said:

Not sure,  I remember in the other Souls games (and Bloodborne) where you'd be on a narrow beam and you'd have to jump down to the next beam then the next one and the next one..   nervewracking as hell.   There's some of those in Elden Ring, but they don't go down as many levels as the other games did.

I spent most of the weekend in Consecrated Snowfield.   This place is like the "greatest hits" of Elden Ring,   lots of familar enemies from earlier areas,  the giant bears, giant crabs, giant rats, giant trolls (both the 'abominable snowman' type, and new cloaked ones that emit frenzy-- yay?)  

Oh and a mausoleum with enough weaponry to make the Death Star jealous---  wtf??

At least the bosses in this area are fairly easy to take down and drop lots of runes.   Almost makes up for the other crap..   almost.  

Actually you could get to the exit fairly easily by going straight down the middle of the map and solving one puzzle and avoiding most of the enemies.   But I always feel like if I don't explore, I'll miss something cool or important.    It also seems like a good area to quickly grind runes and level up.

Also beat the Black Knife Ringleader in the Evergoal in Liurnia and got the "Black Knife Tiche" spirit ashes-   supposedly one of the best in the game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zzip said:

Not sure,  I remember in the other Souls games (and Bloodborne) where you'd be on a narrow beam and you'd have to jump down to the next beam then the next one and the next one..   nervewracking as hell.   There's some of those in Elden Ring, but they don't go down as many levels as the other games did.

Going off memory, wasn't it the Old Hunters Workshop or somewhere similar  where you had to drop from beam to beam, but from very specific points... 

Swear at the time i had to watch a YT video to see exactly how to do it. 

1 minute ago, Lostdragon said:

Going off memory, wasn't it the Old Hunters Workshop or somewhere similar  where you had to drop from beam to beam, but from very specific points... 

I think so,  you dropped down from the tower that leads to Upper Cathedral Ward?   There was also some beam platforming in the giant windmill.   And the Well in Majula in DS2 and the church tower near Anor Londo in DS3..    There's a bunch of others I can't remember

If you are having trouble with giant bears and those giant red wolves, try the "St. Trina's Sword".   It has "mist of slumber" ability that can put some enemies to sleep or at least make them groggy and slow them down enough that you have a chance to heal.     I was messing with it yesterday and took down some of these creatures I was struggling with.

• Like 1