IGNORED

Soulsborne thead (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne)

Austin

Well..

After a complete purge of any Souls type games for a few months (played nothing but The Walking Dead collection from start to finish).. dug out Sekiro. 

After a few hours of profuse swearing, beat the chained ogre and will be giving the game one last roll of the dice.

Health bar now increased as is number of healing items,

Let's see if i can stick with it

It's easily the most inaccessible title from From Software i have played in the last 2 generations.

Starting to understand why i struggled so much with Sekiro. 

Even though i knew it started life as a Tenchu title,  subconsciously my arrogance was telling me that as a seasoned Soulsborne player, I could easily adapt to new gameplay mechanics. 

So it didn't have online play, i would have to work a damn sight harder, rather than summon help and stay back on fights.

The grappling rope and prosthetic arm, yeah yeah, gimmicks..

I'd adapted from Demon's to Dark Souls, Dark Souls to Bloodborne,  completed 'em all.

But this time around the game doesn't want me grinding away so i can simply build my stats up so I can field an user powerful weapon and wear the heaviest armour,  it is basically forcing me to learn the combat system and simply spamming the block button only gets you so far.

The stealth is clumsy in places, the combat mechanics differ from practicing on the zombie samurai guy to opponents you meet in the field, etc etc.

But at last i am starting to appreciate the game and it's not the regrettable purchase it was for me a while ago.

From what I have gathered about Sekiro, it's a super fast-paced action game through and through with enemy and boss pattern memorization requirements greater than a typical Souls game. If you even so much as casually struggle with boss fights in Souls games, Sekiro will wreck you.

This is of course just coming from watching other people play it. I am still waiting for it to drop in price before picking it up, but am looking forward to diving into it when I do.

Regarding actual Souls games, I marathoned Dark Souls II on PC (vanilla, not Scholar) this past weekend on stream. Managed to get through the whole thing, all optional bosses and DLC included, in two sittings. I don't know why (it might have been the absurd amount of time I spent on the game over two days), but I struggled with a lot of the bosses, despite annihilating them on my first try in Scholar a few weeks prior. It may have been the near full playthrough of Dark Souls III I did earlier that week. The dodge rolling between the two games is vastly different, with Souls III being so lenient with it. Still, I got through everything in Dark Souls II, Frigid Outskirts and all. Good times.

I'm debating now whether I like the original Dark Souls II more, or Scholar. I cursed Scholar at one point in time, but it's starting to grow on me a lot with its greater challenge. That higher level of challenge has become my baseline with these games.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

https://gamerant.com/bloodborne-2-not-in-development-ps5-leaker/

No surprise,with From being tied up with existing projects, but launching PS5 with either Bloodborne II or Demon Souls II would of been far more enticing than talk of 8K support,  controllers that measure sweat and heart rate and talk of high end, Pro model versions of the hardware at launch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

https://gamerant.com/bloodborne-2-not-in-development-ps5-leaker/

No surprise,with From being tied up with existing projects, but launching PS5 with either Bloodborne II or Demon Souls II would of been far more enticing than talk of 8K support,  controllers that measure sweat and heart rate and talk of high end, Pro model versions of the hardware at launch.

I don't think Bloodborne needs a direct sequel.  But I would like to see future From games in the Soulsborne vein.   Just like Bloodborne isn't a sequel to Dark Souls, the next game need not be a sequel to Bloodborne.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zzip said:

I don't think Bloodborne needs a direct sequel.  But I would like to see future From games in the Soulsborne vein.   Just like Bloodborne isn't a sequel to Dark Souls, the next game need not be a sequel to Bloodborne.

Wise words. 

Before i mashed my hand up, i had gone cold on Sekiro once again.

The lore alone just doesn't grab me like the Soulsborne stuff.

If From could do a PS5 exclusive to capture how I felt when playing D.S on PS3 or Bloodborne on PS4,  i would have no issues moving to PS5.

With how the lore goes in Bloodborne, they could absolutely make a sequel in the same universe that still has very little to do with the original game, akin to what Dark Souls III is to Dark Souls 1. If they did announce a Bloodborne sequel, I'd personally get a PS5 ASAP.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Returned to Sekiro (again).

Finally ditched the muscle memory issue over the Soulsborne mechanics and nailed the deflection timing a lot better and lure individuals away from groups etc..

Discovered new area and new boss fight, some general on horseback, nice set piece. 

Had a few cracks at taking lady butterfly out,ended in utter disaster.

I looked at a few YT videos of bosses yet to come..the armoured Knight, Monkey King and just thought there is no way i am going to take these on.

I'm struggling with an old woman here and progress is painstakingly slow as it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been going through my second playthrough of Dark Souls Remastered,  and this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I've decided it's my least favorite in the series.   There's too many areas that just aren't interesting to explore--  sewers in Depths, Blighttown, Crystal Cave, Ash Lake, Tomb of the Giants, etc.   And there's not as much variety in treasures you find compared to the other games.  Too often it's just something like "Soul of a proud knight".   The other Dark Souls games and Bloodborne have a lot more interesting locations IMO.

It also might be because I played these games in reverse order because that's the order they released on PS4.   I've noticed many of the criticisms of DS2 boil down to "it does things differently than DS1".   Since I didn't play DS1 first, those criticisms didn't resonate with me, and I thought DS2 was great

6 hours ago, zzip said:

I've been going through my second playthrough of Dark Souls Remastered,  and this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I've decided it's my least favorite in the series.   There's too many areas that just aren't interesting to explore--  sewers in Depths, Blighttown, Crystal Cave, Ash Lake, Tomb of the Giants, etc.   And there's not as much variety in treasures you find compared to the other games.  Too often it's just something like "Soul of a proud knight".   The other Dark Souls games and Bloodborne have a lot more interesting locations IMO.

It also might be because I played these games in reverse order because that's the order they released on PS4.   I've noticed many of the criticisms of DS2 boil down to "it does things differently than DS1".   Since I didn't play DS1 first, those criticisms didn't resonate with me, and I thought DS2 was great

Dark Souls Remaster is my least favorite out of the series, as well. 

I played them all in order and mostly right at launch (2 weeks late on Demons Souls) and I’m curious – have you only played the Dark Souls Remaster, or did have you played the original as well?  I ask, not to crap on your opinion or any of that silliness, but because Dark Souls (original) was easily my favorite out of Demons, DS 1, and DS 2, but the remaster kinda took it down a bit.

Originally, I didn’t care much for part 2 – thought it was ok, but a bit too easy compared to Demons and Dark 1.   But, something weird happened – I played the remastered version of part 2 when it hit PS4 and it felt so much better. Thanks to the remaster, it actually jumped up there to the same level of love I have for part 1.  I don’t remember what it was, other than how smooth it felt, but it definitely made a world of difference to me, and took it from “it’s good” to “this is amazing!”

And then I picked up the remastered version of Dark Souls 1, and it didn’t feel right at all.  After multiple playthroughs of BB, part 2 (remastered) and part 3 (likely my favorite of the bunch) the remastered version of part one just felt like a slog.  Played through on Switch and PS4 but hav no interest in playing through again on either.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I played them all in order and mostly right at launch (2 weeks late on Demons Souls) and I’m curious – have you only played the Dark Souls Remaster, or did have you played the original as well?  I ask, not to crap on your opinion or any of that silliness, but because Dark Souls (original) was easily my favorite out of Demons, DS 1, and DS 2, but the remaster kinda took it down a bit.

I played them all on PS4, so I never played to original Dark Souls nor the pre-Scholar DS2.     What did they change in DS1 that made it worse?

Originally, I didn’t care much for part 2 – thought it was ok, but a bit too easy compared to Demons and Dark 1.   But, something weird happened – I played the remastered version of part 2 when it hit PS4 and it felt so much better. Thanks to the remaster, it actually jumped up there to the same level of love I have for part 1.  I don’t remember what it was, other than how smooth it felt, but it definitely made a world of difference to me, and took it from “it’s good” to “this is amazing!”

I thought DS2 was the hardest, at least in the beginning of the game.  Heide's Tower of Flame in particular just seemed too overpowered for a low-level player.   But once I got past that, the game did get quite a bit easier, at least until I hit the DLC areas.   My understanding is that the enemy placement in the original DS2 made it even harder?   DS2 might just be my favorite of the three Dark Souls games-  I like the variety of locations, it feels like the largest world of all Dark Souls games (IDK if it is).   It also has some mechanics the other games do not, like dark areas with the sconces you can find and light to mark your path and make the area less threatening.

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet.   If I can ever find a PS5 in stock...

And then I picked up the remastered version of Dark Souls 1, and it didn’t feel right at all.  After multiple playthroughs of BB, part 2 (remastered) and part 3 (likely my favorite of the bunch) the remastered version of part one just felt like a slog.  Played through on Switch and PS4 but hav no interest in playing through again on either.

yeah my first playthrough of DS remastered did feel a bit underwhelming compared to the others, but I didn't know what to expect next.   But now that I'm playing it a second time I keep saying "ugh, not this place again!",  which is weird because most areas of DS2, DS3 and BB are amazing even after more than one playthrough.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got around to play Sekiro and gotta admit I find it absolutely stunning. The boss fight with the Guardian Ape is probably one of my favorite boss fights in any From Software games.

Now I understand why opinions on this game are so split because of the battle mechanics. The attack/deflect mechanic is a little hard to master compared to the frantic dodging in the Soulsborne games, but once you have it figured out Sekiro becomes this amazing challenge where the one-on-one battles feel more fair than what I encountered in Bloodborne (Ludwig and Orphan, looking at you guys).

Some of the mini bosses in Sekiro still feel like a big joke, I can't see myself even trying to attempt the Headless ones..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 6:13 AM, Austin said:

With how the lore goes in Bloodborne, they could absolutely make a sequel in the same universe that still has very little to do with the original game, akin to what Dark Souls III is to Dark Souls 1. If they did announce a Bloodborne sequel, I'd personally get a PS5 ASAP.

Doesn't sound like you'll be seeing a sequel on Playstation 5 anytime soon... 

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/262733/20210711/bloodborne-hunters-edition-will-allegedly-come-pc-ps5-according-reports.htm

On 6/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, Ninjabba said:

Finally got around to play Sekiro and gotta admit I find it absolutely stunning. The boss fight with the Guardian Ape is probably one of my favorite boss fights in any From Software games.

Now I understand why opinions on this game are so split because of the battle mechanics. The attack/deflect mechanic is a little hard to master compared to the frantic dodging in the Soulsborne games, but once you have it figured out Sekiro becomes this amazing challenge where the one-on-one battles feel more fair than what I encountered in Bloodborne (Ludwig and Orphan, looking at you guys).

Some of the mini bosses in Sekiro still feel like a big joke, I can't see myself even trying to attempt the Headless ones..

Gave it multiple tries, it's just not for myself. 

Even though it's handing me my ass, Nioh 2 is everything i wanted from the Sekiro experience.