IGNORED

Two Bruce Lee sequels

Philsan

We all know that Bruce Lee was programmed for A8 by Ron Fortier (graphics by Kelly Day) and then converted for C64 and other computers. There's a nice Ron Fortier's interview on Retro Gamer #145.

In 2013 a spiritual successor, Bruce Lee II, was released for PC.

In 2015 it was converted for C64. Very nice game.

https://youtu.be/jg-1qgKv_bw

On March 1st a new Bruce Lee game will be released for C64, Bruce Lee - Return of the Fury.

https://youtu.be/O-9Qj-HatEo

Compared to 2015 Bruce Lee II, 2019 Bruce Lee - Return of the Fury seems having used original code and graphics.

Therefore, I think a version for A8 would be easier to make.

• Like 13

Yeah, been following the new one, saw it on here (same video contained)

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/bruce-lee-return-of-fury-on-its-way-to-the-c64/

Looks brilliant and I also love the two other C64 variations shown, can't wait for it and hopefully IF there's source it might get an Atari port that it deserves...

I still play the Atari one, actually played it 2 days ago, saw it on a disk I was testing and could not stop myself from having a go, that and Jumpman get me every time :)

• Like 3

Compared to 2015 Bruce Lee II, 2019 Bruce Lee - Return of the Fury seems having used original code and graphics.

For that matter, I am 99.9% sure that Bruce Lee II used entirely original code, it is not a hack of Bruce Lee. I say this on behalf knowing Jonas who programmed it, and had the pleasure of sitting next to him at a party when he was in the middle of developing the game. The reason the graphics are very close to the original is because the PC version is too, and he wanted the C64 version to be as close to the PC remake as ever possible, despite it complicated some things quite a bit. I know in a few places he had to sacrifice some colours that the C64 can not handle.

Also you missed Tiger Claw for the C64 which spiritually is a Bruce Lee game with improved graphics. It was developed in parallel with Bruce Lee II, where one team opted for as good graphics as possible and the other wanted to retain the original look as far as possible.

• Like 3

Tigerclaw is actually mentioned in the video and I personally like it but its a little outside the Bruce Lee remit for me, yes it has all the elements but it feels more beat em up, maybe its just me, also the physics for the character take a little of getting used to if you are a Bruce Lee fan. Bruce Lee II on the other hand is great and I think I read that it is original code as you say. Really enjoyed both of those and the new one just looks right from what has been shown with a nice touch to have reused the real code but expanded it as well.

The trouble is that I don't see much hope of either coming to the 8bit, well not any day soon...Perhaps the re engineered new game might spur one of our great devs to revisit Bruce Lee...It really needs a bit of TLC and new content as great fun as it is..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Ha ha DrClu....Yes indeed....

Its just a nice fun game with a catchy tune while not being incredibly hard (using the two player foot on the 2nd joy stick for 9 lives) it still plays super well and has that "oh, just gotta have a play" aspect to it..

And yes, if its reverse engineered then there's a fair chance the workings will be made available and then its up to a dev if they want to Atarize it.

Here's hoping..

Edited by Mclaneinc

First reports (I have it but not played as yet) are that the learning curve is like a wall :)

If it does get a port maybe that could be addressed if allowed..

Edit: Just played...Very nice, controls feel a little slack and yes, the introduction to puzzles is very steep, ie straight the the first screen and its not obvious what can be done (well to me) and I only realised when I accidentally did a move that should not work..

You will understand when you do it...All I'll say in the the hit detection is cheated a little :)

Edit2: and it gets unforgiving...puzzles must be in a certain order or you get stuff in one screen...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Played it till 10th screen or so (I've a terrible headache, so I had to give up) but IMO it has right difficulty level (spike on second screen apart).

If you finish lives you can continue endlessly (but you have one life instead of five).

I found some collision problems with punches.

You can select Bruce Lee flesh color: C64 yellow or A8 brown (or select bare upper body or iconic yellow jumpsuit, as developers wrote).

Why not put efforts into making a sequel to any of the other Datasoft titles, like Conan, Goonies or perhaps the one I would appeciate the most, Zorro? I mean a such game designed on the Atari 8-bit to its strengths, could both be an enjoyable game and exclusive for the format. I think I've mentioned it before, that I thought Zorro would be a side scrolling adventure game instead of an item shuffling puzzle game.

• Like 3

Why not put efforts into making a sequel to any of the other Datasoft titles, like Conan, Goonies or perhaps the one I would appeciate the most, Zorro? I mean a such game designed on the Atari 8-bit to its strengths, could both be an enjoyable game and exclusive for the format. I think I've mentioned it before, that I thought Zorro would be a side scrolling adventure game instead of an item shuffling puzzle game.

Man - I would LOVE a graphically updated version of Goonies. Game play was spot on, but we have moved SOOOOO far past simple 4-colour screens.

• Like 7

Creating new levels graphically is not that hard. IIRC there are four character sets that change as the game progresses, each screen accesses a different character set which is dynamically loaded depending on the screen loaded. Accessing the the tables that draws each screen is pretty easy, just a matter of changing what character set, and what index into that character set each screen byte accesses.

The challenge would be re-programming the level engine. There is a table that records which lamps are collected, and each time Bruce changes a screen it accesses this table to see if that particular screen should do something such as add ladders, open walls, open the floor on screen 2 etc. Totally possible, but would need some time and effort.

I have made a disassembled source file that is partially commented, I can dig up if anyone is interested. I don't have a lot of free time, but I would be interested in working on this if there are others interested as well.

Yeah, the one game I actually like more on the Apple IIe was Conan, game play could have been much better.

Zorro also left much to be desired. Could have been better graphically and game play wasn't that fun either.

Yes, nice little touch. I always hated the yellow flesh colour.

The new music is an improvement too.

I agree. I also hated the green Yamo. Relatively easy change the color for the Yamo, a bit harder for Bruce's face color because it was tied to the shirt color. Bruce and Yamo both used two Player Graphics each. Ninja used all four Missile Graphics.

I'm going to talk to the author and ask him if he will release his source, fortunately he's on Lemon at the mo...

Source would be awesome! Fingers crossed, some authors are willing - some are not. :)

• Like 3