; SO $05 BECOMES $85 ETC.
;
L0F38 .BYTE $14,$14,$14,$12,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$01,$00,$01,$20,$01,$C0
.BYTE $41,$01,$00,$40
;
L0F4C .BYTE $02,$02,$02,$02,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$02
.BYTE $00,$00,$00,$00
;

haha, yes, Courier New is the answer. Thanks fantomas.

Screen editor is almost done. I’ll be posting it later today/tomorrow.

Some limitations:

For now you must load character sets and maps one at a time.

You must edit the individual map files and because it doesn’t load executables yet.

You must put the generated files back in to the assembly file and re-assemble the game.

There are bugs I’m sure, they’ll be fixed as found or reported.

There are some planned fixes for the next version:

Display DLI colors on the screen

Fix tile graphics to display properly

Load the executable file and edit it directly

A tile editor with color so we can actually make our own tiles.

And of course bug fixes

Right now there is a lot of hard coded stuff but that will get changed once the executable is loading properly. However there is a problem with editing the executable directly and I’ve mentioned it before: If you make or edit a screen whose final RLE is larger than the original the program will not run properly.

Also since the source code is not completely relocatable for now, this will also be a problem for editing the individual files. If the RLE is smaller no problem, the file can be padded out with zeros. If the RLE is larger then the original, then it won’t compile. Once code is all relocatable or at least certain portions, that problem will go away.

Thanks for your patience and enjoy.

Edit: Forgot to mention - Use the files in Fantomas' incbin.zip for loading the fonts and maps.

Edited by Ute
  • Like 4

Here is Level Editor beta 0.0.1

Found an issue last night with levels 4,5,7,10,13,17,18. I put a hack fix in for most of the levels. The only one not editable at this point are 5 and 17(Fantomas' map5.rle and map17.rle)

Technically 5 and 17 are editable they just wont assemble correctly.

Working as much as I can on this right now, but you know.......life. :)

Release001.zip

• Like 6

It's written in C#, very similar to Java. A direct translation would be challenging.

You would be ok memory wise, but displaying everything on screen would be the challenge. ANTIC mode 4 might be they way to go since they maps would only take have the screen and you could utilize the other half for character tiles, color sets, DLI info, etc.

As far as actual implementation, editing it natively would offer the advantage of loading native character sets and screen resolutions.

Definitely possible, but a lot would be from scratch.

That is the hope and the guys are doing a wonderful job of all pitching in...

Something WILL come out of this, I'm sure..

It started as a little "what if" with me, I pushed a little but the pick up from others has been amazing...

A big thanks to Dmx for being a great sport in helping us via his C64 version code and other files and suggestions, just proves the coders CAN work together . And of course a big thanks to Ute, Alfred and folk like Jose etc for the work so far and just idea's being swapped..

• Like 5

That is the hope and the guys are doing a wonderful job of all pitching in...

Something WILL come out of this, I'm sure..

It started as a little "what if" with me, I pushed a little but the pick up from others has been amazing...

A big thanks to Dmx for being a great sport in helping us via his C64 version code and other files and suggestions, just proves the coders CAN work together . And of course a big thanks to Ute, Alfred and folk like Jose etc for the work so far and just idea's being swapped..

I would like to echo what Mclaneinc has said, big thanks to everyone who has pitched in.

And don't forget Fantomas - He has done A LOT of disassembly and we've been working on the level editor together :)

Edited by Ute
  • Like 4

I would like to echo what Mclaneinc has said, big thanks to everyone who has pitched in.

And don't forget Fantomas - He has done A LOT of disassembly and we've been working on the level editor together :)

Oops, my apologies Fantomas, you were not side tracked deliberately :)

Thank you for your time and dedication as well..Fantastic work there....

I wish I had more to offer the project other than good will, my coding skills are pretty rubbish these days and I was just a hobby coder back then but looking at the talent being shown here on this I can say its looking great people. At the end of the day I will be more than happy if this leads to a game and anything else. Anyone thinking of music and FX as yet, too early?

The dedication shown by you guys make's me smile and the fact it all hopefully will lead to a game to be enjoyed by others is amazing...Can't thank you all enough..

• Like 1