IGNORED

Two Bruce Lee sequels

Philsan

Hey Guys,

Fantomas and I are still working on converting the BL2 graphics. It's been challenging to get the colors right. I think we both have a new respect for Kelly Day who did the original graphics.

In the mean time we wanted to put out a little test demo. There are some known issues: On one particular level a lamp has a chance of killing you, on another level you can get stuck until you kill yourself, and one map will start you in an area that may make you repeat a few levels if you die. There is no intention to fix these any time soon(or at all) since we want to concentrate our efforts on BL2 and ROF/Atari Age Version, and this is just a test/demo. Also the XEX seems to be finicky on Altirra requiring to first pause and then un-pause the program once it loads.

EDIT: These haven't been tried on real hardware.

Eelecurb.xex Eelecurb.atr

Edited by Ute
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ute said:

Hey Guys,

Fantomas and I are still working on converting the BL2 graphics. It's been challenging to get the colors right. I think we both have a new respect for Kelly Day who did the original graphics.

In the mean time we wanted to put out a little test demo. There are some known issues: On one particular level a lamp has a chance of killing you, on another level you can get stuck until you kill yourself, and one map will start you in an area that may make you repeat a few levels if you die. There is no intention to fix these any time soon(or at all) since we want to concentrate our efforts on BL2 and ROF/Atari Age Version, and this is just a test/demo. Also the XEX seems to be finicky on Altirra requiring to first pause and then un-pause the program once it loads.

Eelecurb.xex 30.86 kB · 18 downloads Eelecurb.atr 60.58 kB · 12 downloads

Thank you very much!

Do you plan to convert ROF and BL2 too? The latter seems a much more difficult task.

9 hours ago, Ute said:

Hey Guys,

Tell that to people who claim that double scanline modes were crap . Bruce Lee was always a great game and it never suffered by the double scanline mode.  Possibly , without that, the game never could have appeared.

10 hours ago, Ute said:

Hey Guys,

Eelecurb.xex 30.86 kB · 24 downloads Eelecurb.atr 60.58 kB · 17 downloads

You guys know how close to my heart this game and conversion is and its just wonderful to see it in action, I cannot express just how happy I am to see this, thank you for listening to a humble request and working so hard on it..

Paul....Amazing work..

21 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

This is absolutely brilliant.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Kind words, Thank you!

13 hours ago, Philsan said:

Thank you very much!

Do you plan to convert ROF and BL2 too? The latter seems a much more difficult task.

Fantomas and I both really like a lot of scenes and elements from BL2 and ROF, I particularly like the moon and its lake reflection on one of the night screens from ROF. We would like to make both if possible. BL2 is more work with the biggest challenge probably being the soft sprites, BL2 screens are also 8 pixels higher than the Atari screens, so we are trying to strategically remove 8 lines from each screen without it being noticeable. But we are working more on BL2 at this point.

Another option could be to just start with elements from both BL2 and ROF and make something completely unique for Atari Age.

Spoiler

One idea being sort of an Atari Blast for Bruce Lee.

And then there are other things we would like to add such as a Player 2 controllable Ninja, a Yamo that actually chases Bruce up ladders like the C64 version, a difficulty setting, etc.

13 hours ago, emkay said:

Tell that to people who claim that double scanline modes were crap . Bruce Lee was always a great game and it never suffered by the double scanline mode.  Possibly , without that, the game never could have appeared.

While disassembling Ron's original code it became clear the he did most things to save space and be more efficient. Most of his code is table driven, he uses RLE to store level data, and only uses three character sets for the entire game(Technically 4 fonts, 2 fonts for the wizard screen). I assume he used ANTIC 5 for the same reason: 480 bytes/screen.

12 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

You guys know how close to my heart this game and conversion is and its just wonderful to see it in action, I cannot express just how happy I am to see this, thank you for listening to a humble request and working so hard on it..

Paul....Amazing work..

Thanks for the kind words Paul! We love it too, and will continue to work on it as time/life permits.

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

It's been a while, so... I don't quite get it.  Is the intent to play the whole game from finish back to the starting point?

Yeah that's the idea. More of a demo/poc than anything while we work on BL2 and a couple of other ideas, but hopefully it's enjoyable as well :)

All that said, we welcome all comments, ideas, and help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Besides, how do you load the latest version of Eel Ecurb on a real A8 with real floppy drive ?!?

There is a data segment using $0705-30AD that will crash the real A8 when loaded from various DOS, gamedos and bootloader versions I tried. What loader have you been using with the ATR image ? A real A8 with standard XL/XE-OS and a floppy drive with standard OS does not have a built-in XEX loader... and for the other loaders (DOS, gamedos, bootloaders) $705 is just too low...

(Maybe you can relocate the memory location(s) of the data segments, so all segments from $0705 up to $7842 start 1k/$0400 higher, so instead of $0705-7842 you have $0B05-7C42, that should work with most gamedos and bootloader versions out there and does not conflict with the other data segments from $8000-AF03.)

22 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Besides, how do you load the latest version of Eel Ecurb on a real A8 with real floppy drive ?!?

There is a data segment using $0705-30AD that will crash the real A8 when loaded from various DOS, gamedos and bootloader versions I tried. What loader have you been using with the ATR image ? A real A8 with standard XL/XE-OS and a floppy drive with standard OS does not have a built-in XEX loader... and for the other loaders (DOS, gamedos, bootloaders) $705 is just too low...

(Maybe you can relocate the memory location(s) of the data segments, so all segments from $0705 up to $7842 start 1k/$0400 higher, so instead of $0705-7842 you have $0B05-7C42, that should work with most gamedos and bootloader versions out there and does not conflict with the other data segments from $8000-AF03.)

The XEX version was never intended to run on real hardware. I would suggest one of the ways The Doc mentioned, RespeQt, or SIO2SD. The ATR uses a custom boot loader we made, and it SHOULD run just fine on real hardware, - I emphasize should because I have no way to test it myself right now(My Atari's are put away while I sheet rock my basement), but it is not that different from other images I have made that do run. It may need to be padded out to 90k.

But all of that is beside the point, this was just a little demo release with bugs and other problems and wasn't really intended to be official or anything. The only reason we put a boot screen on it was because Solaris104 asked. Someday it might get fixed, bugs and all, but that is probably a ways down the road. I can't speak for Fantomas, but with what very little precious time I do get to work on this project I would prefer to spend it on BL2, ROF, Etc. ;)

I loaded the XEX with APE loader... on real hardware,

the title screen appeared

pressed space and I have the option screen up

playing the game so far no issues save perhaps the first screen (big boss) needs a different background color so Bruces black hair stands out

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I loaded the ATR with APE as well,

It loads with two yellow bands and some garbage on the screen...

But you will see and hear that it is loading...

Goes directly to the option screen and off you go... it works on real hardware.

The game does not work with diskcart for megamax or atarimax carts... it bypasses it and looks for a sio based disk.. Looks like you need to use a sio based device for it to work... I bet you if I connect a mio it will fail possibly any pbi device might make it fail, need a few folk to test the ATR and XEX on different device to know for sure.

• Like 1

Well,

the Autorun function in LiteDOS has the same effect as LOAD *.* (load first found file) and therefore does not require more or less memory. Which means LiteDOS still has a memlo of approx. $1000 and thus cannot run a file with a memlo of $0705...

So

first non-deleted file found in the VTOC will be loaded and executed, a RTS will pass control back to LiteDOS boot-process. The autorun function is simply a load D1:*.* function, direct after installing DOS.
So the first non-deleted file found in the VTOC will be loaded and executed, a RTS will pass control back to LiteDOS boot-process.
T The autorun function is simply a load D1:*.* function, direct after installing DOS.
So the first non-deleted file found in the VTOC will be loaded and executed, a RTS will pass control back to LiteDOS boot-process.
he autorun function is OS.
The autorun function is simply a load D1:*.* function, direct after installing DOS.
The autorun function is simply a load D1:*.* function, direct after in

Edited by CharlieChaplin

which is why I wasn't sure and said I wasn't sure if it would be lower or higher... and it would be best move things around

That's also why I started digging out different devices to check theory vs real life.

Bottom line, they both work on real hardware depending on what you choose to run them on. In this case, SIO based loaders for the XEX and SIO based devices for the ATR.

I also outlined my reservations about MIO, PBI devices etc... for a number of reasons.

Edited by _The Doctor__

17 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I loaded the ATR with APE as well,

It loads with two yellow bands and some garbage on the screen...

But you will see and hear that it is loading...

Goes directly to the option screen and off you go... it works on real hardware.

The game does not work with diskcart for megamax or atarimax carts... it bypasses it and looks for a sio based disk.. Looks like you need to use a sio based device for it to work... I bet you if I connect a mio it will fail possibly any pbi device might make it fail, need a few folk to test the ATR and XEX on different device to know for sure.

Thanks for testing and checking those out Doc. :)

okay, I just sector copied (using scopy) the eelecurb.ATR to a MIO ramdisk and...

Wouldn't you know it, it loads and plays...

I'd have to play all the way through to be sure but it made it a few levels..   so I am off to test the black box next

oh and the loader has eel ecrub instead of ecurb in the loader text      lol!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

Played all the way through to ****congratulations****... After a while ecurb stopped jumping up and down, I think it went back to the start of game then

I enjoyed stocking up on falls snagging the yin yang repeatedly until they ran out... ;)

on rare instances sound didn't always play on death etc... no matter which flavor chosen

Edited by _The Doctor__