IGNORED

Two Bruce Lee sequels

Philsan

Considering all the Bruce Lee goodies soon to be coming our way,

I wonder if it's a good time to dust off the sprite set of the game ?!?

I know it's an all time favorite, but some off the frames needs reworking (Bruce's in particular)

I have re-tweaked his standing/taunting pose and his iconic jump kick !

so there..

standing.JPG.d9faaf34e540df161af6228e7a3a4dd8.JPGjumpkick.JPG.de225c645da648be3dc34f0c409ba2a3.JPG

• Like 7

Good progress on the Bruce frames, the horse stance you chose is a much better idea, and the fuller hair is trade mark Lee. Rear foot might need to be visible but aesthetics might be off to do so.

Much better kick!

Lee either has his leading arm forward or down-angled during kicks, very rarely up in the air so that's good.

definitely looks more like Bruce Lee.

A good time to look at some of his sparring footage. Or stills from live action. They are always the best as opposed to poses or movie shots.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TIX said:

Considering all the Bruce Lee goodies soon to be coming our way,

I wonder if it's a good time to dust off the sprite set of the game ?!?

I know it's an all time favorite, but some off the frames needs reworking (Bruce's in particular)

I have re-tweaked his standing/taunting pose and his iconic jump kick !

so there..

standing.JPG.d9faaf34e540df161af6228e7a3a4dd8.JPGjumpkick.JPG.de225c645da648be3dc34f0c409ba2a3.JPG

Wonderful! Maybe you can also do something with Yamo, who always looked like a frog to me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes it was but for no specific reason, continuity mostly. The original boot screen was done in Antic Mode E, so we just reused the same idea, with most of the elements from the original screen. The biggest difference being more color on screen and Bruce's face is from an actual picture. The one above is the PAL screen shot, NTSC is a tiny bit narrower.

Edited by Ute
Clairity

I was curious how a Bruce Lee face looks like in HCM non-mix Mode E. (HCM file attached, 8208 bytes)

Viewer sources: https://bitbucket.org/sandor-hard/hcm-viewer-example/

br2opt.jpg_out.1562139587085.png.757914388de7465792d7ec83b97a24b1.png

Note: I know nothing about NTSC compatibility, so consider it PAL only.

br2opt.jpg.out.1562139587085.bmp br2opt.jpg.out.1562139587104.hcm

Edited by Sandor / HARD
Added NTSC remark
  • Like 2

I made an disk of the .ATR image, and it crashes while trying to load. Anyone else having issues? Is there a problem loading this at x3 SIO instead of x1?

I haven't tried the .exe yet, because I'm suddenly having an issue with my SIO2PC, so I can't load it that way or transfer to my HDD to load there...gotta figure out why my Atari suddenly isn't seeing SIO2PC...I recently added a couple Indus GT's into my SIO chain, and switched the chain around, so I must have done something when I did...

I'll have to feed it to my CF card and run it through MyIDE II FATloader or SiDE loader in the meantime...

Edited by Gunstar

I am all for an improved sprite version, but I do hope they keep it original for the official ports to the Atari 8-bits like the Commodore 64 and PC has.

One thing I noticed on Bruce Lee II is that the movement of Bruce was not 100%, ie the jump kick.  Wonder if this can be fixed?  ;)

Edited by tjlazer

Yes, I also hope there's an original and improved option at least, I love the new sprites but I also want to play it as it with the old sprites as well for that extra buzz.

As for Bruce Lee II, the programmer is always on Lemon forums to ask :)

One of the side issues from writing your own code versus using the original game code I guess, little differences get in...Return of Fury (name may be slightly wrong) at least keeps the full BL vibe where BLII is still super fun but feels different..

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling...as always
  • Like 1

I got the ATR of this game running from floppy, after turning off it's x3 speed Happy mode.

What exactly was supposed to be different about eeL ecurB other than you starting at the end of the game and playing it in reverse through the screens? I thought there was supposed to be new animation or sprites or something? I got through several screens in it, but would rather play the game in the right direction, so I shut it off and loaded up the normal Bruce Lee and played it. I didn't notice any differences myself, though it's been years since I saw the last screen with the Demon/Devil or whatever it is...

In the normal Bruce Lee, I actually made it to the screen @_The Doctor__ is showing above, the normal direction through the game.

Edited by Gunstar

50 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I got the ATR of this game running from floppy, after turning off it's x3 speed Happy mode.

What exactly was supposed to be different about eeL ecurB other than you starting at the end of the game and playing it in reverse through the screens? I thought there was supposed to be new animation or sprites or something? I got through several screens in it, but would rather play the game in the right direction, so I shut it off and loaded up the normal Bruce Lee and played it. I didn't notice any differences myself, though it's been years since I saw the last screen with the Demon/Devil or whatever it is...

In the normal Bruce Lee, I actually made it to the screen @_The Doctor__ is showing above, the normal direction through the game.

I think they this new backwards version is a rewrite and demo and not from the actual game.  Just testing the engine they are using to create the game Return of Fury.

• Like 2

Yes testing and some fun!

The no win scenario happens if you make a mistake the second time through with the extending floor constantly cutting ecurb in half as he spawns and falls.

The game is different playing it backwards as the location of climbing terraces etc are located differently so you can make it back out of screens etc. The first time through is easy is reverse, the second level is much more difficult in that things happen faster and ecurb can run faster than certain items causing you to have to regulate your run, and he must be perfect to clear some screens...

• Like 2