IGNORED

Two Bruce Lee sequels

Philsan

I happily stumbled upon this thread. It is very interesting to see the progress so far with recompilation and modding. Since there is talk about porting BL2 in the process I get curious about how you plan to solve that with the sprite hardware. Is the plan to have max 2 enemies or reduce colors, use some flickering technique or even software sprites to get at least two colors for three or more enemies?

Initially there won't be a direct conversion. One day(I hope) we will do a %100 conversion. This will probably either need a hard refactor of the game engine, or start a new one from scratch.

I was thinking soft sprites myself, but open to suggestions. Anyone is welcome to help.

• Like 1

Great work!

But I do hope that the end version will not start loading from $0400-xxxx, Run $0405 (like the Teaser does). Otherwise it will not work on real Atari (e.g. with standard Atari OS and standard A8 floppy drive, before someone comes along again and says, but I have the hardware xyz and there it works)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

On 7/10/2019 at 4:03 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Great work!

But I do hope that the end version will not start loading from $0400-xxxx, Run $0405 (like the Teaser does). Otherwise it will not work on real Atari (e.g. with standard Atari OS and standard A8 floppy drive, before someone comes along again and says, but I have the hardware xyz and there it works)...

What? The EEL ECURB works from Real Hardware... Be it a Disk drive or APE, and on MIO and Black Box... what are you talking about?

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

What? The EEL ECURB works from Real Hardware... Be it a Disk drive or APE, and on MIO and Black Box... what are you talking about?

I am not saying that it does not work at all from real hardware - but it does not work from standard Atari (with standard/original Atari OS) and standard floppy drive (e.g. 810, 1050, XF551, Rana, Indus, etc.). If you get it working with standard Atari OS and real floppy drive, show me how! A standard Atari with real floppy drive does not have any Comfile/XEX-loader built-in, so you have to use some kind of ML-loader, be it a DOS, a gamedos, a bootloader, etc.  I tested several of them and none can load files that begin at $0700 (like Eeel Ecurb) or $0400 (like the Teaser1.COM above)...

[Most DOS 2.x can load ML files from approx. $1C00/1D00/1E00, depending on the config., i.e. number of drives and buffers; LiteDOS can load ML files from $1000; most gamedos versions can load ML files from $0A00/0B00/0C00 and several bootloaders I tested can load from $0800 -  still $0700 or $0400 is too low; besides isn't $0400 the "boot adress" in the Atari OS for floppy drives and tapes ?!?]

It is possible that both files Teaser1/Eel Ecurb do work fine from MIO or Black Box (or maybe U1MB, Rapidus, VBXE, SIO2xyz, any kind of flashcart., etc.), but not everyone in the Atari 8Bit scene owns such hardware, whereas almost everyone that owns a real Atari also has a disk drive available. If someone asks me to test, if a program works on real Atari (and it was asked here, afaik), then I always test it on real Atari with standard OS and real floppy drive with standard OS/firmware. I don't do such a test on a heavily upgraded Atari or with non-standard and/or third party hardware that only a few Atarians have... nor on emulators or floppy-emulators (APE, SIO2PC, etc.)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

130XE NTSC factory standard

xf551 factory standard

ProSystem to copy the ATR from the PC to the real Atari Floppy Disk

uncheck all boxes and then set format check box in ape prosystem

(this will write the sectors sequentially and won't touch an empty sector)

write to a brand new blank disk..

Disconnect SIO2PC cord

Boot the game holding option down, it plays, no devices attached, nothing modified

works perfect.

I used SCOPY as well with the ATR in the APE image slot with sio2pc and it works fine same results.

• Like 4

Okay,

what kind of loader is on the ATR image then ?!? I used the XEX (not the ATR) and it did not work with any of the loaders I tried...

On the other hand in "emergency, calling Dr. Beat" (Miami Sound Machine), ermm no, calling Homesoft always works. He already created an XEX that even works fine from DOS... ;-) So should the final XEX version of the Bruce Lee sequel have the same problem, one call to Homesoft will solve it.

23 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Okay,

what kind of loader is on the ATR image then ?!? I used the XEX (not the ATR) and it did not work with any of the loaders I tried...

On the other hand in "emergency, calling Dr. Beat" (Miami Sound Machine), ermm no, calling Homesoft always works. He already created an XEX that even works fine from DOS... ;-) So should the final XEX version of the Bruce Lee sequel have the same problem, one call to Homesoft will solve it.

Good to know,

I got to read it a little late though, I hooked up a bone stock 800XL and the ATR worked...

I will be downloading the fixed XEX, better behaved is always a good thing!

On 7/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Okay,

In post #217 I already stated the XEX was NOT intended to run on real hardware. Please use the ATR if you want to run on real standard hardware.

As far as future versions releases, there may be more demo/teasers released as an XEX, but we cannot guarantee any final versions will be an executable. More than likely they be a disk image(ATR) because of size constraints from such things as loading screens, music, more levels, etc.

However, if you are hell bent on using an XEX on real hardware with a standard load configuration, then there are other efforts that could be done, like releasing a 130XE/Entended Memory version - But that is also a lot of extra effort, so there would have to be a lot of demand.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, Philsan said:

In 2013 a spiritual successor, Bruce Lee II, was released for PC.

In 2015 it was converted for C64. Very nice game.

https://youtu.be/jg-1qgKv_bw

Indeed a good game. One great thing about it is, that also some of the enemies fight against each other, when one of them hit the other one time. This can be seen in the video from minute 5:21 on for example and also from 13:09 on. A great and funny detail. Best group fight can be seen from 14:20 on, with four persons involved.

Also the third part of the series is great and there is also a new version of this part for the C64, in which you can choose between different sprite graphics and colors. On the same disk is also a version of the first part with a new included three-player-simultan function. This is superb. Everybody really should have a look. It`s this version here:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=183661

I have not read the whole thread now, therefore, if this link was posted before somewhere, then sorry for doublepost.  :)

Edited by AW127