IGNORED

How good are you guys at Galaga?

Stewhain33

Compared to everyone here, I'm probably garbage. But I destroyed my friends a few months ago when we were playing "loser boys the first round." What made me lose was my buddies taking a video of my burgeoning second chin jiggling as I hammered the fire buttons. That was just too much of a distraction for me.

If I get in the 100k range that's a good game for me. I just never really saw the appeal of Galaga, and never felt compelled to really work at it. It's OK I guess, but there are dozens and dozens of other games I'd rather play in my limited gaming time. The only reason I play Galaga at all anymore is because it's one of the only games my buddy likes, and we're pretty evenly matched, so it makes for some good friendly competition (read: beer drinking, trash-talking sessions.)

• Like 1

Galaga was my jam when I had Namco Museum DS when I was younger. I have the first two bonus round patterns memorized and would make it to around round 11 or so. I'm probably not as good as I used to be, but I can't help but play a game or two whenever I find a Galaga cabinet.

I play it at the arcade alot,so arcade version all the way for me!!! :) After watching the movie WarGames so many times(it stars my good friend Eddie Deezen) I like doing that trick where you get your fighter plane captured,and then when you get it back you have more firepower because now you have two fighters lol Makes the bonus levels alot easier.

• 7 months later...

been playing the Atgames Namco Bandai Arcade Blast version,

that has the actual arcade roms. gameplay is fine, the control is

terrible 6 button dpad.

Game does not support the no shoot bug, but has rewind, and

savestates. I used savestate at 2 million, to continue later on

to get to the killscreen at level 256, where the game freezes.

later

Edited by negative1

At the Houston Arcade Expo last year, they had a "20 Year Reunion" Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man machine.  I don't know if the mechanics on that one are any different than the original game, but I obliterated my old high score...

GalagaHighScore.thumb.jpg.9f775f0537e1ca76e7412e574c601e98.jpg

I rolled the score counter, so it was actually 1.4 million.  I might have lasted longer, but I burned several extra lives trying to get double-shots again at one point, and only realized after the fact the game stops awarding extra lives when the score is rolled over.  I'll also swear the game was making me kill my own men by having shots go through the flagships... I know, always blame it on the game, right?  Anyway, I was good and tired by the time the game ended, so I figure I had a good game either way.

PS: No, I didn't use any continues. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

At the Houston Arcade Expo last year, they had a "20 Year Reunion" Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man machine.  I don't know if the mechanics on that one are any different than the original game, but I obliterated my old high score...

GalagaHighScore.thumb.jpg.9f775f0537e1ca76e7412e574c601e98.jpg

I rolled the score counter, so it was actually 1.4 million.  I might have lasted longer, but I burned several extra lives trying to get double-shots again at one point, and only realized after the fact the game stops awarding extra lives when the score is rolled over.  I'll also swear the game was making me kill my own men by having shots go through the flagships... I know, always blame it on the game, right?  Anyway, I was good and tired by the time the game ended, so I figure I had a good game either way.

PS: No, I didn't use any continues. :)

Great score.

It's exactly the same as the regular galaga, no differences.

Play player 2 next time, it shows the millions digits.

Although the highscore table, still maxes out at 999,990.

later

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just got this jakks 12-1 plug n play,

81ILyIsboXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the galaga version is passable, played to 300k, and quit. why?

BECAUSE I'M RIGHT HANDED, and the BUTTONS ARE ON THE LEFT. UGGGGHHHHHHH.

yes, i opened it up, and i could resolder all the connectors, and flip it upside down,

(and then the twist controller would be messed up for pole position).

anyways, the no shoot trick works on it also.

later

LOL

Despite my love for this game and it's sequel, I very much suck at it. :D

I occasionally get in the zone of whatever, but usually only make it a few stages before croaking. Hey, liking video games has zip to do with being good. Interestingly, many of the games I love the most, I also suck at the most.

went back and played galaga on the plug and play again.

i used the no shooting trick, and tried to play one handed sliding

the player over, and shooting. that worked for the early levels.

later on, it got too fast, so i just resorted to firing with the left,

and moving with the right.

got to the killscreen, at 3.1 million with a few men left over,

and on wave 256 the game reset.

interestingly, they fixed player 1 to display the millions digits.

since, there is no way to add credits, or play as player 2 on these

machines. they did add a pause feature, and screensaver, so you 

can pause if something comes up while playing.

later