IGNORED

Jaguar New-Old-Stock Just About Gone

Rick Dangerous

Although I've been a Jaguar player since about 2000, I've never played Flashback. I watched a review of it the other day and thought that it might be worth picking up - but I've looked on eBay and you can't find a loose cart for less than about $50 US - plus add on another $20 US for shipping. I was under the impression that it was fairly common, but maybe that's the going rate for a loose common these days?

Hard to say, Everdrives didn't really do much to affect the collectors markets for other consoles. With the Neo Geo prices have only gone up since the release of the SD cart. I do expect console prices to go up though.

New developments, and especially things like EverDrives, always generate more interest in the platform, it's inevitable that some newcomers are, or eventually will be, collectors.

Still, it's a positive on the whole, and will make more room to accomodate both collectors and players, when they stop competing for the same 'assets'.

Now I just wish we'll see homebrewers willing to sell just the roms, instead of creating shady back alley markets...

Now I just wish we'll see homebrewers willing to sell just the roms, instead of creating shady back alley markets...

As long as the games are available from the authors or distributors only fools would go to such places to buy a home-brew game.

• Like 5

IMO collecting video games is not any less reasonable than collecting minerals, comic books, old cars or ancient coins. It did it's a fair share to the preservation of otherwise obsolete technology so those games can be still played on original hardware for years to come. In digital age people still want physical copies of games, hence limited run games for PS4 and PS VIta.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

Since i am a new to the Jag collecting, i "have" to buy many original titles. And i am a fan of homebrews as well, but i am not able at this moment to support all nice homebrews

Don't get me wrong, i am a big fan of physical releases. But i would love to be able to support the producers which make a nice game and buying the ROM. But still honoring that the rom would be for

my use only. I think most collectors are nice people and respect the producers work and support

As long as the games are available from the authors or distributors only fools would go to such places to buy a home-brew game.

Indeed, but not everyone is informed, which ebay scalpers et.al only know too well.

And what I implied was that demand is a powerful force, which will create it's own market if it's not met in a proper fashion.

Given how expensive and labor intensive making physical carts is, and how it sets a rather high minimum price on any new production on the jaguar, the convenience of using roms with a SD-cart, I predict that we'll quickly see a market for roms emerge, regardless of what people may think of it.

And I would much more like it, if creators was getting compensated for their work, than shady back alley dealers and rom sites.

Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I thoroughly believe it's better to enable and encourage a legal market for this, (It would also allow emulator users to buy and support content creators) rather than leaving it for the market to fix by itself, because it will, and the end result will likely be a negative rather than a positive.

Telegames UK is STILL a software developer selling (the range of games they have) for Jaguar/Lynx/PS/GBA. Ask Nintendo to sell you Super Mario 64 they tell you to f**k off. But as Pete already mentioned, Telegames UK stock from way back is still available, once it's sold out, it's gone..

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

I think you are going to start seeing more and more people look to emulation so long as there are proper options available that do not compromise too much.

I had a large portion of the available game consoles since the late 80's early 90's and currently do not have many of them any more. I still have several systems, including a new found interest in obtaining Lynx stuff (never owned growing up, but my grandfather had a decent collection). As prices go up and up, more and more people will shy away. Eventually the prices will have to come back down although I guess that day will only come when the buying slows way down and people either get tired of having the money tied up or get sick of looking at the stuff waiting for someone to buy it. That leaves really only the true hard core collectors and advocates for the systems... when that happens the market will saturate a bit and prices will come down.

I currently own very few "retro" systems, save my most favorite ones from my child hood. I do not plan to invest in most of them at the current and growing prices. I might invest in them if prices come back down.

The two noted additions for me are several Atari Lynx and Sega Genesis consoles (as well as a SNES classic... but that doesn't really count).

Although I've been a Jaguar player since about 2000, I've never played Flashback. I watched a review of it the other day and thought that it might be worth picking up - but I've looked on eBay and you can't find a loose cart for less than about $50 US - plus add on another $20 US for shipping. I was under the impression that it was fairly common, but maybe that's the going rate for a loose common these days?

Well dammit! I sold my CIB for $25 last year not even realizing that!

I have been a Jag player since I got it new in 1995 but back then before the internet I had no idea how many games there really were and wish I did so I could have scooped up more games back then like Atari Karts, Rayman, Power Drive Rally, or even AVP back when things were on the cheapo at under $10/each or so. Same with the Jaguar CD, I don;t ever remember even seeing one at KayBee Toys even at the $50 prices people have talked about but damn I wish I had seen them when they were that price!

Other systems mentioned already included the 32X by Madman, and I have recently gotten into that and seen videos and online about people saying they scooped up games for like $1-2 each whereas you can;t find anything for that cheap now! Does make it a bad time to start collecting and I have resorted to a Modded Xbox and an Everdrive for Genesis and 32X purposes.

Another system I have loved since new was the Virtual Boy and got mine when it was brand new and had nearly a full collection back in 1996 but again without the internet then did not even know there were only 2 games I was missing at the time. Like an idiot sold all the games in 2000 for stupid crazy cheap with everything CIB as well. Now anything CIB Virtual Boy is stupid pricey! Some titled are unattainable due to the price gouging. The one people have likely heard of is Jack Bros. which is going for over $500 loose and $800+ CIB. I bought that game at Walmart in 1996 on clearance with a bright pink sticker on it for $5.99 and Waterworld for $9.99 and now they are stupid priced.

As said previously, Telegames in the UK are still selling loads of sealed Jaguar games, but I have noticed that there list is shrinking and becoming more expensive, however their own games will probably always be available so the likes of Towers 2, Iron Soldier 2, if there's demand and they run out will always be rerun. What will not get a rerun is those original games that Telegames don't own the rights to - so everything from Alien Vs Pred, Defender 2000, Missile Command etc - when they run out they will be gone.

I have been buying sealed games for the Jaguar from Telegames for a good few years now, and nearly every game I bought (excluding telegames own) are all sealed and in mint condition. It really has been a great place to help build a full collection of all those original release Jaguar game. However I have noticed a price increase last year and also games becoming out of stock... Iwar, NBA Jam, Zool2, Missile Command 3D and some others all became unavailable over the past 18 months and others will no doubt follow suit... Doom sealed was £30 about a year ago, now it's £50 so I'm guessing stock on that is getting lower too.

I do think collecting for the Jaguar is an attractive option when sealed mint condition games can still be bought for cheap compared to other systems, but eventually all those big stockpiles of games will run out. I bought my Jaguar console back in the 90s, and already had a good head start with collecting games for it when I came back to the system about 4 or 5 years ago due to still having all my old games. I was genuinely surprised how many sealed/mint games were still out there, but I guess all that unsold surplus stock had to go somewhere and those who bought all the stock for cheap have probably done quite well out of it as prices have steadily risen.

I think the Jaguar will never be as popular as many other machines, but it's still an Atari machine, and I think that name alone will always attract people to it - video games are like movies, people will always be looking back on the historical development of video games, as they do with films, and the name Atari will always shine brightly in those early years - the number of times I have seen people wearing Atari T-shirts - never Intellivision, or Colecovision from those early years - okay the Jaguar was the nail in the coffin, but that is still of historical interest in the development of video games.

Prices will rise on Jaguar games, but they will on lots of other systems too - the only bonus with Jaguar stuff at the moment is that their is still the opportunity to be able to get a full collection of those early titles in mint condition, and that can't be said for a lot of other systems unless you remortgage the house.

I think the guys who bought all the surplus Jaguar stock all those years ago and kept it for all these years, deserve a lot of credit as without them the prices of Jaguar games would be through the roof by now in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I really cant believe any buisness stuck with the storage fees for what was electronics that couldnt be sold at giveaway prices in the late 90s, and really didnt pick up till around 5 years ago.

Very hard to believe, and typically not appreciated by a consumer looking for best bang for his buck

I really cant believe any buisness stuck with the storage fees for what was electronics that couldnt be sold at giveaway prices in the late 90s, and really didnt pick up till around 5 years ago.

Very hard to believe, and typically not appreciated by a consumer looking for best bang for his buck

Not sure what youre trying to say but if you dont like the price, dont buy. Those companies like Best Electronics, myatari, etc. may not be the cheapest option around but sure arent as expensive as some EBay sellers who believe every video game/computer item made before 2000 is rare and expensive.

• Like 1

, because after carrying cost of 20 years in inventory no matter how cheap that got the inventory they are not coming out ahead

If you listen to the interviews on ANTIC they see it as a business. They probably paid cents on the dollar when they cleared out the warehouses and not that much for storage somewhere in the sticks.

These are mostly one-man shows well beyond normal retirement age and you‘re probably right in that they would have made more over the last 25 years had they bought Apple or Berkshire Hathaway stock. The ones interviewed used to be Atari dealers before and kind of continued their business as well as they could.

Don‘t know about other systems, maybe they envy us Atari guys for our infrastructure.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I'm saying you should be lucky they carried enough to keep Atari alive all these years, It had to be for love of community, because after carrying cost of 20 years in inventory no matter how cheap that got the inventory they are not coming out ahead

And let's not forget the new parts that Best has had manufactured. It's not like he's buying a vacation home in Hawaii with these profits, it is clearly a labor of love.

• Like 5

Given how expensive and labor intensive making physical carts is, and how it sets a rather high minimum price on any new production on the jaguar, the convenience of using roms with a SD-cart, I predict that we'll quickly see a market for roms emerge, regardless of what people may think of it.

And I would much more like it, if creators was getting compensated for their work, than shady back alley dealers and rom sites.

While I respect and admire the boxed cart releases of the conversions, I have no interest to have them as collectables. For other systems I've gladly paid $10 - $20 for a ROM version of a game I want to play. I would do the same for the Jaguar if ROMs of those releases were available.

I really enjoyed when CJ was freely giving away the ST conversions. Made a number of them into carts for myself (never sold any). Too bad folks had to ruin that by selling them.

• Like 1

That never stopped. There will always be -Skunk releases.

I can't speak for everyone but I for one really appreciate that. I don't have the disposable income to purchase the carts but having Skunk releases gives me new software to play with.

Thanks again CJ