IGNORED

ST Informer Magazines for Archiving

ballyalley

This past weekend I was given part of a large collection of Atari 8-bit items. Mixed in with this collection was some miscellaneous Atari ST documentation and a few games. I will be holding onto these, even though I don't have an Atari ST right now. Also, mixed in among these Atari 8-bit items were about twenty issues of a magazine called ST Informer. I figured that these magazines, printed on newsprint paper, have been archived already. However a rather quick look around the Internet only showed a couple of issues have been turned into PDF files. The issues that I have are from 1989-1991.

Has ST Informer been archived in digital format? If not, then I would be willing to send off my twenty or so issues to be scanned. Keep in mind that this magazine is very large. It is newspaper-size (about 11 1/2 " wide x 15" tall). The following pictures will help give you a better idea of what the magazine looks like:

post-4925-0-76899800-1550789649_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-94942800-1550789654_thumb.jpg

First, I would like to know for sure that these magazines need scanning. If they do need to be scanned, then who is a reliable person who can scan them?

Adam

• Like 6

I know that I have been unable to find more than a couple scanned issues of ST Informer. I used to subscribe way back when and wish I had hung onto my issues - though I had never seen that tabloid newspaper format, only a more traditional magazine style.

Thanks for replying to this post in this thread. ST Informer had a regular magazine-style format; that's cool. Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that magazine from the Atari user group I was a member of in the mid-to-late 1990s. I think that the group had a subscription to the magazine. I know that they had a subscription to a magazine direct from Atari.

"lp060" sent me a private message suggesting the following:

I also checked archive.org and could not find a single issue.

https://archive.org/

I would send them to this guy:

http://69.60.118.202/index.htm

He scans whole books and does really nice work. He's also pretty quick at getting stuff online. I highly recommend him.

I'm an ST user and all I can find online is one issue at:

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazine-st-informer_91.html

I can't say if they have scanning ability or if they only accept stuff already scanned. You would have to contact them and ask.

This is what I said to "lp060:"

"Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded some Commodore and Amiga docs from this site. I'm going to hold off on contacting him for now. I want to see if anyone else comes forward and says that these magazines have been scanned already."

Are there any Atari specific sites that have the ability to scan large-size documents like these issues of ST Informer? I believe it will be the Atari community who will appreciate these magazine the most and put in the required effort to get them scanned properly.

Adam

ST Informer started out in the traditional newspaper format before converting to the traditional magazine format. This allowed for faster turnaround print times, so they usually came out with the latest news faster than STart or ST-Log. I looked at my collection and see that this conversion happened with the January 1992 edition. December 1991 was the last issue in the newspaper format.

I started but never finished scanning my magazine format copies of ST Informer. I am stuck about how to scan the newspaper versions though. I would think you need an 11x17 scanner which are quite expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have contacted David at "DLH's Commodore Archive." He is willing to scan these "ST Informer" magazines. He has scanned other magazines of this large-format before now. Here's an example of an Amiga magazine of this size that he scanned:

http://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/magazines/amiga-news/amiga-news.htm

He said these scans can be tricky, but that he should be able to work it out. I hope to be able to send these magazine to him by the end of next week.

Maybe, when these magazines are scanned, this will encourage other people who have the rest of the "ST Informer" magazine collection to get them scanned as well.

Adam

• Like 2

David, at "DLH's Commodore Archive," received the box of twenty Atari Informer magazines yesterday morning. Last night he sent me a complete test scan of all 40 pages of the entire 30'th issue of ST Informer (December 1989). It looks fantastic! He's going to tweak his scanning technique a bit and then scan in the rest of the issues as time allows.

Adam

• Like 3

David, at "DLH's Commodore Archive," received the box of twenty Atari Informer magazines yesterday morning. Last night he sent me a complete test scan of all 40 pages of the entire 30'th issue of ST Informer (December 1989). It looks fantastic! He's going to tweak his scanning technique a bit and then scan in the rest of the issues as time allows.

Adam

Fantastic to hear! =)

• 2 weeks later...

David wrote me an update about the ST Informer scanning process. He asked me to post his update here. He says:

"All 24 issues scanned. Just cleaning up the address labels and redoing a few pages here and there. Won't be long now."

The magazines will be posted here (the link works, but the magazines can't be downloaded yet):

http://commodore.bombjack.org/atari-st/st-magazines/st-informer/st-informer.htm

At the top of this webpage, he wrote:

"Not much known about this magazine. Adam Trionfo donated 24 issues to be scanned. I received them on Mar 18th, 2019. The 24 Issues donated are 30-52 & 54. All 24 have been scanned and I am working on cleaning up the scans, removing address labels, ect.. Won't be long now... Mar 30th. 2019."

Can someone write a short description/background of the ST Informer magazine for David to add to the top of this page?

Thanks for all your dedication to scanning in documents, David. It's time consuming and I'm sure that the Atari ST community will be thrilled to see this magazine!

Adam

Ok. Here's what I have:

May #71

July#73

Sept#75

Oct#76

May/June #83

Dec #89

Jan/Feb #90

March/April #91

July#93

So a total of 9 issues.

I'm ready to share/donate these for scanning for the archive.

• 2 weeks later...

@DLH-Bombjack

Magazines shipped today, see attached photo of tracking number in PM.

Unfortunately I forgot to snap a pic ot the lot before shipping.. :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of [the ST Informer magazines] are up guys!

They look great and they're searchable. I'm very thankful that someone was able to take these magazines that were given to me and get them out into the awesome Atari community.

I like the idea of the many missing magazine's having a placeholder that says "DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE." Maybe this will prompt people to step forward and send the missing issues in to be scanned.

Adam