IGNORED

The Atari 7800 is going to die will someone become it's savior?

redsteakraw

So the writing is on the wall the original hardware may still work but many will not be able to hook it up. TVs are dropping the antenna rf port and analog av ports meaning if you don't have an HDMI or compatible signal you won't be able to hook it up to a modern TV. While there are clone systems that mimic the system there is nothing that gives real accurate low latency authentic hardware representations. So what can be done when no one is making these chips and they were never meant to be used with digital outputs. The answer is FPGA a chip that can literally change it's internal connections to mimic actual hardware and clone actual chips so you have a low latency authentic system that acts almost identically to real hardware but can be reconfigured to run on modern TVs.

There is an open source project to resurrect and preserve gaming platforms in FPGA form that can be used by the community to create hardware projects commercial or personal. The name of the project is the MiSTer FPGA and they have working Atari 2600, 5200, Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis, Arcade Boards and other platforms. There are no 7800 cores but more than half the work is already done given the processor and 2600 chips are already there. Without someone's help the 7800 may fade to even more obscurity and will not be playable.

Here are some links for further information:

A news article detailing the project

The 2600 core

The hardware

And Hardware Addons

Wiki

So what are your thoughts and what do you think the future or fate of the 7800 is?

It's no different than plenty of other old consoles that are difficult to hook up these days.

Hopefully, we'll get a modern clone that outputs HDMI, or a converter board that converts an original to output HDMI. IT's all about demand though. Sadly, the 7800 isn't very popular outside a small group. It's not likely to garner enough support to warrant a hardware clone.

Kickstarter is probably the only way it will happen. And, well, you know how those tend to go for classic gaming hardware.

It's no different than plenty of other old consoles that are difficult to hook up these days.

Hopefully, we'll get a modern clone that outputs HDMI, or a converter board that converts an original to output HDMI. IT's all about demand though. Sadly, the 7800 isn't very popular outside a small group. It's not likely to garner enough support to warrant a hardware clone.

Kickstarter is probably the only way it will happen. And, well, you know how those tend to go for classic gaming hardware.

Kickstarter may be the way forward but we are mostly there with a FPGA based clone system. Give it a Genesis cartridge slot also and you may have a good starting point. The 7800 core needs to be started though.

So the writing is on the wall the original hardware may still work but many will not be able to hook it up. TVs are dropping the antenna rf port and analog av ports meaning if you don't have an HDMI or compatible signal you won't be able to hook it up to a modern TV.

So what are your thoughts and what do you think the future or fate of the 7800 is?

Please stop with this non-sense. This is your second thread in as many days complaining and now fearmongering about the 7800 and it's video signal. You clearly don't know what you're talking about and making multiple threads about such uniformed drivel does nothing to further any cause. You want a better video output solution? Design one. You want an FPGA to mimic the 7800? Program one. The 7800 isn't dying and it doesn't need saving. Quit the crap.

• Like 8

Please stop with this non-sense. This is your second thread in as many days complaining and now fearmongering about the 7800 and it's video signal. You clearly don't know what you're talking about and making multiple threads about such uniformed drivel does nothing to further any cause. You want a better video output solution? Design one. You want an FPGA to mimic the 7800? Program one. The 7800 isn't dying and it doesn't need saving. Quit the crap.

I am sorry for my hyperbolic title bringing you great distress. However where do you see preservation wise the 7800 20 years from now? If nothing is done between the hardware failures and the limitations of emulation there will be a point where it is too difficult for un-modded systems to be played let alone how many will still be in good condition. Yes in the short run you may still be able to be played but the writing is on the wall.

I am sorry for my hyperbolic title bringing you great distress. However where do you see preservation wise the 7800 20 years from now? If nothing is done between the hardware failures and the limitations of emulation there will be a point where it is too difficult for un-modded systems to be played let alone how many will still be in good condition. Yes in the short run you may still be able to be played but the writing is on the wall.

You also posted a thread with the title

Atari Age has come to an end!

A little less drama would be appreciated by all. Stir shit up on your Twitter or something instead.

It's not news that old stuff is old and that analog connections are no longer considered standard.

People are going to craft FPGA solutions, or not, whether or not you scream into web forums with clickbait headlines. This is not YouTube.

• Like 2

You also posted a thread with the title

Atari Age has come to an end!

A little less drama would be appreciated by all. Stir shit up on your Twitter or something instead.

It's not news that old stuff is old and that analog connections are no longer considered standard.

People are going to craft FPGA solutions, or not, whether or not you scream into web forums with clickbait headlines. This is not YouTube.

Did you even read the Atari Age has com to an end? I was stating that in a newly built modern arcade there were no Atari games or fully classic cabinets. In that location yes the Atari Age is over. Am I jaded like someone in that thread stated, maybe I am not going to deny that. I am not trying to stir things up to destroy but rather to get people to think about preservation and things going forward. I am new to this community so maybe I am doing this all wrong. How would you have titled the post Flojomojo?

Did you even read the Atari Age has com to an end? I was stating that in a newly built modern arcade there were no Atari games or fully classic cabinets. In that location yes the Atari Age is over. Am I jaded like someone in that thread stated, maybe I am not going to deny that. I am not trying to stir things up to destroy but rather to get people to think about preservation and things going forward. I am new to this community so maybe I am doing this all wrong. How would you have titled the post Flojomojo?

Atari Corp has been dead since 1996 and Atari Games is a different thing. Arcades have been gone for ages. This site exists for enthusiasts and people who want to preserve things. How would I title it? I would drink a nice steaming cup of stfu and read and learn.

• Like 1

If you can't play nice you should go play somewhere else.

• Like 1

Problem solved. VCR or modded system + RetroTINK.

Yes I was aware about the VCR and RetroTINK but lets face it it is a clunky hack and to have to mod a system so it can be played is an even more clunky hack. Wouldn't it be great if you can just get a box with a cartridge port and a pair of db-9 controller ports and be able to hook it up to a modern tv with no extra hardware? Maybe the original hardware is best played on CRTs but going forward having a FPGA 7800 core that is open and available would help ensure boxes and hardware can be made that will just work going forward even if HDMI gets depreciated in favor of Display port V4.3 or USB type G. But yes right now the best you can do without modding is a VCR + RetroTINK or with modding a S-Video + RetroTINK. Well on the bright side at least you can also watch '10 Things I Hate About You' with the VCR setup. icon_biggrinwink.gif

Yes I was aware about the VCR and RetroTINK but lets face it it is a clunky hack and to have to mod a system so it can be played is an even more clunky hack. Wouldn't it be great if you can just get a box with a cartridge port and a pair of db-9 controller ports and be able to hook it up to a modern tv with no extra hardware? Maybe the original hardware is best played on CRTs but going forward having a FPGA 7800 core that is open and available would help ensure boxes and hardware can be made that will just work going forward even if HDMI gets depreciated in favor of Display port V4.3 or USB type G. But yes right now the best you can do without modding is a VCR + RetroTINK or with modding a S-Video + RetroTINK. Well on the bright side at least you can also watch '10 Things I Hate About You' with the VCR setup. icon_biggrinwink.gif

I thought kevtris 7800 core on the NtMini was pretty good.

I don't have one but that's what I heard ... so maybe convince Analogue to make an Atari only FPGA or to add the cores to the MegaSg (they already have DB9 and already planned a couple of cart adapters .....)

• Like 1