IGNORED

Wizard of Wor Arcade Maze Design Contest

johnnywc

Maze design (KC Munchkin) AND disappearing maze pieces as you advance levels (Pick Axe Pete)? The Odyssey 2 influence is strong here...

Honestly, I didn't even know you could design mazes in KC Munchkin! :o I am a big fan of Pick Axe Pete (I even started a 2600 port way back when that I should finish someday).

I always had an affinity for the Odyssey 2, but I only played it at friend's houses or at retail stores back in the 80's (and most recently on emulation). Maybe one of these days I'll pick up an actual system. :D

• Like 1

Yes, you can also design mazes in the excellent sequel, KC's Crazy Chase (which mixes Pacman and Centipede, sort of, it was obviously designed by somebody under the influence). And Monkeyshines lets a third player screw with the same sort of game grid during play, though I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, I didn't even know you could design mazes in KC Munchkin! :o I am a big fan of Pick Axe Pete (I even started a 2600 port way back when that I should finish someday).

I always had an affinity for the Odyssey 2, but I only played it at friend's houses or at retail stores back in the 80's (and most recently on emulation). Maybe one of these days I'll pick up an actual system. :D

Edited by doug0909
  • Like 1

Thought I'd give this a go, too. :)

#1: Chamberz of Wor:

You've stumbled across some mysterious chambers in the Wizard's dungeons... what horrors await?

post-2641-0-35561500-1551997643_thumb.png

#2: Cagez of Wor:

Deeper still in to the Wizard's dungeons, you've found the cages where the beasts are kept - and you've accidentally let them out!

post-2641-0-90970300-1551997641_thumb.png

#3 Dead endz of Wor:

Dead indeed! Alcoves abound in this area of the dungeon, where creatures lie in wait for you to pass by unexpectedly!

post-2641-0-66402000-1551997642_thumb.png

(Incidentally, if you're using Stella, you can save your mazes by using Save States.)

• Like 1

Thought I'd give this a go, too. :)

Cool mazes Nathan (and cool namez too! ;)). I actually thought of letting the users name their mazes too (like THE ARENA/ THE PIT, etc) up to 12 characters, but I didn't want to use another save slot on the AtariVox (need to save some of those for other games :)).

(Incidentally, if you're using Stella, you can save your mazes by using Save States.)

That's cool! I was originally going to have people send me Save States and write a utility to read the mazes from the data, but it'll probably be much quicker to do it by hand once the 3 winners are announced.

18 hours left for anyone who wants to participate! :D

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

Cool mazes Nathan (and cool namez too! ;)). I actually thought of letting the users name their mazes too (like THE ARENA/ THE PIT, etc) up to 12 characters, but I didn't want to use another save slot on the AtariVox (need to save some of those for other games :)).

That's cool! I was originally going to have people send me Save States and write a utility to read the mazes from the data, but it'll probably be much quicker to do it by hand once the 3 winners are announced.

I named my levels too. I would be nice to have implemented using one slot on the atarivox.

I named my levels too. I would be nice to have implemented using one slot on the atarivox.

Hmmm, maybe I can see about adding that feature if it doesn't take up too much ROM. If I do get it done, once I have the 3 mazes chosen I'll ask the winners what they want to call the mazes (actually I'll do that anyway so we can include them in the manual :)).

Thanks!

John

UPDATE:

First, thanks to all for your submissions, they are all very creative and fun to play! There were 35 entries and I have trimmed the list down to 12 by picking the best maze from each of the 12 participants, so everyone is still in the running. :)

Since there are so many entries, I am breaking the judging into rounds. The next round I will trim the list down to 6 and will post those results tomorrow.

In the final round I will announce on Sunday the 3 winning mazes that will be included in the final version of the game. :D

Thanks again for everyone who participated!

John

• Like 2

Round 2 results - the final 6!

Thanks again to everyone for their entries. The 3 winners will be announced tomorrow! :)

devwebcl - Maze 2:

post-30-0-24405800-1552788115.png

Ferf13 - Maze 3:

post-30-0-00034200-1552788122.jpeg

Machine - Maze 3:

post-30-0-05647100-1552788127.jpg

Mountain King - Maze 3:

post-30-0-32314400-1552788132.png

save2600 - Maze 3:

post-30-0-84256400-1552788136.jpg

TheMrVideo - Maze 1:

post-30-0-85143800-1552788142.png

• Like 2

Congratulations to our 3 winners!!!

Thank you again to all the participants, it was really difficult choosing only 3!

The Winners:

devwebcl, Maze 2

post-30-0-82313600-1552870259.png

Ferf13, Maze 3

post-30-0-48192900-1552870265.jpeg

Machine, Maze 3

post-30-0-60887700-1552870270.jpg

I will send a PM out to the winners to get the their info to be included in the official Wizard of Wor Arcade manual!

Thanks again!

• Like 8

Congrats all! I look forward to playing these later when the game is released. :)

Btw, question for Johnny: I realize this isn't the final version, but noticed there isn't much fanfare sound wise when you defeat the Worluk or Wizard... is that something we can look forward to in the final release?

• Like 1

Congrats all! I look forward to playing these later when the game is released. :)

Btw, question for Johnny: I realize this isn't the final version, but noticed there isn't much fanfare sound wise when you defeat the Worluk or Wizard... is that something we can look forward to in the final release?

Yes! Mike Haas (aka iesposta) is working on the sounds now and they will be included in the final version! :D Dave Dries is currently working on the label/box/manual and it's coming out great! Nathan Tolbert is finishing the design on the multi-tap interface (for those who want to play two player with the Atarivox speech/hi score saving) so everything is coming together nicely for a mid-2019 release!

• Like 5

Yes! Mike Haas (aka iesposta) is working on the sounds now and they will be included in the final version! :D Dave Dries is currently working on the label/box/manual and it's coming out great! Nathan Tolbert is finishing the design on the multi-tap interface (for those who want to play two player with the Atarivox speech/hi score saving) so everything is coming together nicely for a mid-2019 release!

This is all great news, especially the multi-tap interface. I look forward to that.

• 5 months later...