IGNORED

Cosmi worst a8 developer?

Heaven/TQA

Just wondering...

Cosmi on C64 was cult with Aztek challenge and forbidden Forrest but the a8 versions are so bad... or look at Super Huey...

I've always hated Aztec Challenge on the A8 -- not only was loading this turkey from tape a lengthy and painful experience, but the game sucked too -- but there's a lot of competition here. Is Cosmi really worse than LindaSoft, which actually pirated most of its (substandard) library for the A8? And worse than 20th Century Fox's games, almost all of which were godawful?

• Like 2

Well,

worst developer ?!? I vote for General Masters Corporation and/or the publisher ALA Software...

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=8&type=G&publisher=1066&step=25

Most Cosmi tapes were single-stage, so they can be copied onto a bootdisk (or converted into a diskfile) quite easily... and afaik, they rarely used copy-protection. I would call that user-friendly, since no copy-protection and only single-stage format makes copying and converting/transfering their games very easy...

Hey, I played Aztec Challenge (version 2/newer version) several times and did not find it so bad. In the 80s I only had a tape recorder and the game loaded relatively fast with the 1010 (since it is only 8-16k in size). There were much more boring games, where you asked yourself, if they were really worth waiting for 30 minutes or longer to be loaded from tape...

@DavidCalgary29: Buy yourself a 1010 and load Gauntlet from tape! (Hint: Complete tape with all levels has approx. 1200 sectors on a single-density disk, I know, because I transfered the data from tape to disk.) Alternatively, load Nightmares from tape (complete tape with all levels has approx. 800 sectors on a single density disk.) You will never say again, that Aztec Challenge takes too long to load... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 6

I've always hated Aztec Challenge on the A8 -- not only was loading this turkey from tape a lengthy and painful experience, but the game sucked too -- but there's a lot of competition here. Is Cosmi really worse than LindaSoft, which actually pirated most of its (substandard) library for the A8? And worse than 20th Century Fox's games, almost all of which were godawful?

Loved the cover art of the game. That is all I remember of it.

post-4709-0-02103200-1550976364_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

one of the best game for a8

What these guys said (above + devwebcl)! Don't think we can slap Cosmi with the label of worst A8 developer since they are responsible for Caverns of Khafka! It's consistently on nearly every top-10 A8 list that I've seen, and for good reason.

You may be right that their C64 games are better - I wouldn't know anything about that personally - but perhaps they put their best guys on the C64 team.

Regardless, Caverns of Khafka is fantastic. Very glad that I got it put on cartridge for me by AA user wilheim!

I think your comment about Cosmi is rather harsh. Aztec Challenge wasn't that bad at all - haven't checked out the C64 version to see if it's that much better?

It's graphics wasn't that bad.

You might as well say that Kangeroo by Atari was a bad game - too plain graphics and gameplay.

Harvey

I think your comment about Cosmi is rather harsh. Aztec Challenge wasn't that bad at all - haven't checked out the C64 version to see if it's that much better?

It's graphics wasn't that bad.

You might as well say that Kangeroo by Atari was a bad game - too plain graphics and gameplay.

Harvey

The C64 Games are completely different ones except super Huey and forbidden forest.

What's amusing about Aztec Challenge is that, despite being an underwhelming port, it's a tricky game to emulate due to ANTIC abuse. It has several badly timed DLIs that write CHBASE and DMACTL too early and is one of the few programs I know of that depends on mismatched playfield start and stop widths.

Red Rat software gets my vote, any potential Atari 800XL/65XE purchasers seeing a Red Rat game on display monitors would pay the extra and get a C64 (Sinclair machines are not of the same class as A8/C64 at any price but you needed the 128k Spectrum which cost MORE than the 800XL just to get some freakin sound hardware).

I'm hoping to find a missing remake of Forbidden Forest within my disk archives, it was written by someone we knew in the mid to late 80's, he worked at Ocean Software for a while amongst several other software houses previously and then eventually moved to the states working for Electronic Arts. I last bumped into him in the early 90's where he said he'd retrieved all the Atari equipment from Ocean when it closed and asked to borrow all of my disks as he'd sold his original setup, I gave him all the disk boxes for him to copy but I never checked whether I got all of them back when they were returned. Aztec Challenge was one of the first games I ever fully disassembled I should still have that somewhere.

• Like 2