IGNORED

PS1. My first console I bought myself.

Elvis

Ok I want to talk about the PS1. It was my first console I bought myself. I was addicted to games in middle school. And high school. I dreamed of the Turbo Graphics 16. I got one later on. I loved the 3DO and the fighting game Way Of the Worrior. I never owned one though. I love the rock music. I used to go to Circut City. I got out of high school and lived at home. I got in 97 or 98 a PS1.

My family also bought me some games. I think we went half on the system? I used to trade games at a flee market. My school teacher sold games, toys, comic books etcc. He traded up to 20 dollars. Never cheated a soul. I never worked. So I never bought a game with my own money. Unless it was a gift and they gave you money.

Now the PS1 had been out for 3 years. I used to look at the display stands. The Atari Jaguar, PS1, and the 3DO. I finnaly bought the PS1. I should have bought the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO too. The display stands I should have asked for them when they threw them out. I noticed something? Remember I never bought games for that system. I bought for my Super Nintendo etcc. I first started working. I noticed a lot of games 20 dollars or less. Big box games cheap. Some used at the flee market. Big box games used. That Christmas I got Fighting Force, Power Moves Pro Wrestling, and WCW new. I got a bunch of games new. A lot. Here is a few I remember. Capcom first 3d polygon game Star Gladiator. Konami 2d game Project Overkill. Which I still love.

I could not figure out why the games were cheap? Then I learned. Too many games. 1 year later they are 20 dollars. And because of too many games a lot went to 20 dollars quickly. And I bough controlers, memery cards, game magazines, strategy guides etc.. I bought a PS1 game holder. Like the old Atari game holders. I have over 200 games. I never considerd myself a game collector. I bought most new at Game Stop and other places. Circut City. Most games I bought were great. Some were decent. Some were bad. But I kept them. some got stolen from me. I bought a few used also. Big box games. People would say how do you buy so many games? They bought the 10 most popular titles. 50 dollars. I bought them 1 year later. 20 bucks greatest hits. I went to Walmart. They had games in the for sale bins. You would pick them out. Game magazines said a lot of games were sleeper hits. I learned how to shope for games. And never had graphics like that before. I learned so much about buying games. Etc.. My PS1 had the port on the back for the blister pack to play imports, virtule memery card etc.. I bought my PS2 and other machines, and games the same way. What was the first console you bought and what did you learn from the experience?

Edited by Elvis
  • Like 3

As a console the PS1 was also the first gamesconsole i bought in 1996 i think. I did buy a Sega Game Gear in 1994, but that's a handheld.

Bought it because i was getting sick having to upgrade my pc every so often. I was doing a internship at a big electronics company. Got it from the money i got working there. Bought Ridge Racer, destruction derby and Croc as my first titles. In 1994 i did a internship in the UK and played Ridge Racer a lot in the arcade. So having it home on the console realy made me happy.

I think i only bought about 15 games new back then. I don't really collect much for the system so i only have 31 games for the system now. Every so often i buy a title when it's cheap.

It's always fun when you know you got those games at a good price, especially if you worked hard to do exactly that!

I'm mostly a cartridge collector, but I've always had a fondness for the PS1. Got my first ones (2 at once) at a yard sale for $2, taking a gamble that at least one would work. Started seeing them at throwaway prices at yard sales and the flea market and picked up so many, I eventually had to tell myself to stop taking them home because "it's only 2 dollars" or whatever.

I also really like the look and feel of the PS One (small, compact model).

One time when a Game Crazy was going out of business, they had hundreds of different titles for $.10, $.25, $.50 each and got a ton of them. I remember spending like $75 dollars for three boxes of games... I still haven't tried them all out.

I never had a PS during it's strong effective life time and ended up buying a new PSone+LCD combo box eventually in 2001 later in that year. I got exposed more so to it due to my new job at the time and loved the fact I could get games for it, good ones, cheap ones, and with the TV I could take it to work and use it on breaks which was a bonus as well. Not long after got the PS2, and then I've had all their other devices since too. Right now though after PS4 I can't see myself buying a PS5 anytime soon after it arrives if ever as they're just so PC like now and I don't care about their declining IP quality either.

Yet through all that the PSone, I eventually re-acquired one of those in the last few years with the screen, and on a very slow intentional crawl I've picked up games for it, other than a few of the nearly 20 I have kept I have now, they're all local pick ups. I don't collect for it, but I won't avoid a game that isn't trash I can pick up for like $5 or less, or in a rare case, something I really wanted to have/have back like Castlevania SOTN and Tomba. Sure they look crude, and they are kind of jaggy and stuff, but there are enough great titles if you get around the overkill quantity of shoveled out mediocrity and worse there. I think for me it also helps it's a desk toy for my setup as it's just next to my laptop and work setup on the same desk sitting on the left edge. I can easily flip it open and go to town and have fun randomly. The screen is very good, solid response, has a softness to it which gives the PS1 an almost pseudo-gentle AA effect which beats out how a CRT or even a normal LCD tv makes it look which is a plus.

I don't often find stuff for it so it's a slow grow, but strangely in the last week I've found for $3 ea at different times long boxed Street Fighter the movie and SW Ep1 Jedi Power Battles, and also a $1 pick up of Tomb Raider 2(black label.) Also $5 got me Tenchu as well. I can't resist a good game for classic after market price levels.

Ok so when I first started buy games was when I first started working. Super Nintendo. Because that was what I owned. When I started buying for the PS1 It tought me more about buying games than anything. Back then the new games came out every quarter. They were to many games being produced. So I took advantage of that. I found out a lot of PS1 games quickly went into the for sale bin. And the most popular games wre 50 bucks or higher would come down in price a year or so later. I read alot of game magazines. Tips And Tricks etc.. I found a lot of third party stuff. Controlers etcc.. cheap. I have a lot of those. But i'm missing a lot of PS1 offical licend products like the flight stick etcc.. I was born in 1975. I'm older than the Atari 2600. So I never really bough me any games untill then. Then I bought a PS2, SNK Neo Geo Pocket, and others using the principles I learned buying the PS1. The guy at Game stop used to get me to tell people about my game collection. Get me to talk about it as well. I bought stacks of PS1 and PS2 games. I never considerd myself a collector. I bought what I wanted and never got let go of anything.

To this day I try to get what I want and keep it. I have some awfull games but love them too. But do not play them much. I have a Big Games Williams Arcade cabinet. Crappy CRT, geat sticks, butons decent games are spot on and play perfect. A lot of plug and play controlers. And other things. The PS1 has great games. A few are trash. But I love them all. Battle Arena Toshidan all 3 games, fighting games, SNK King Of Fighter 95, any game really. Any gener. And am glad I owned them. Cheat disc etcc.. I bought most of the stuff on sale or 20 dollars or less.

Edited by Elvis

The PS1 was the first non-liquidated console I bought for myself. (32X and Jaguar came before that, but on heavy discount). Great system at the time. I was years late but picked it up right as the Dual Shock bundles appeared and I played it a ton over the coming years. Dreamcast was my next, then the PS2, then original Xbox, etc.

I worked in Electronics at Target when the PS1 was out. I remember seeing pallets full of Playstations and Saturns at Christmas. I bought my Playstation there and a ton of games. The Playstation eventually quit working. It was doing that thing where you had to turn it upside down to work. But that was righ about the time I got my PS2, and it was backwards compatible so I didnt care.

• Like 1

I had already gone through lots of consoles and computers and was still gaming on a few by the time the PS1 came about. Had watched its progress since the early Nintendo/Philips/Sony talks... exciting times for gaming and loved the system when it finally came out! Bought and enjoyed many of the early big box games like Destruction Derby, Battle Arena Toshinden, Return Fire, Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Need for Speed (especially cool since I never bothered to invest in a 3DO), International Track and Field, Extreme Pinball and Raiden. Kept the PS1 for a short time afterwards and purchased a handful of the second round of games that were finally trickling out, but have to admit that the system didn't hold my attention for too long after. Ended up selling it and focused my gaming budget on other systems.

Today, I only have a PAL mini PS1 that I keep around for War of the Worlds and a handful of PS1 games like Iron Soldier 3, Darklight Conflict, X-Files and Colony Wars that I (haven't in a looong time) play on the PS2. And even though I still have Destruction Derby, am in the camp of those that feel certain 3D games on the system haven't aged well at all. Can't be bothered to go anywhere near the likes of Tomb Raider or Toshinden today. Okay, maybe Toshinden, but definitely not Tomb Raider. :lol:

• Like 1

I was a really late-adopter of the PS 1 -- I bought one second-hand in Spring 2004. Someone in my apartment building offered the console and a bundle of games for Cdn$50. It worked very well for many years.

Stores were still selling new PS 1 games, albeit mostly on clearance, and local rental places were also selling games cheaply. I discovered classic arcade game compilations and, more importantly, JRPGs.

• Like 2

The PS1 was an amazing jRPG heaven. That's what I loved about the system. Parasite Eve 1&2, FF7-9, Lunar 1&2, Suikoden series, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Xenogears...

The list goes on and on of great games I sunk anywhere from 10-100 hours into a piece (Parasite Eve 1 was pretty short, lol). There were some great games in other genres, but that's what made the PS1 for me. It was an amazing system, and I still have one today. Love it.

• Like 1

I bought it off of a buddy after he showed me Final Fantasy Tactics, but I guess the PS1 was the first console I bought for myself, as well. I was a fairly late adopter (I was a Saturn man, and I was annoyed when SEGA dropped support for it to make way for Dreamcast, so I wasn't buying any new games) and bought it off of him around 1998 or 1999. Greatest Hits were very helpful to building a collection, as well as budget titles and stores just liquidating stuff randomly.

I bought a PS2 whenever The Last Waltz was released on DVD a couple of years later, and we kind of decided we needed a DVD player, so I guess that's the first console I bought new. Bought it at a Fred Meyer (a Kroger for east coast types), and the clerk was a twenty-something gamer who was super nice and told me what was worth buying and what wasn't (yes, buy a remote if you're gonna watch movies. No, don't bother buying a stand. Use your old PS1 Dualshocks if you want, etc.). The PS1 still works. The PS2 saw an awful lot of use, and eventually had to be replaced with a Slim, which still works.

• Like 2

My parents bought me an Atari PONG unit and me and my friends played the hell out of it on an old Black and White TV my folks picked up at a garage sale for 50 cents.

(Now Really showing my age here) Later I would see an Atari 2600 VCS at my friend's house and decided I wanted one. I believe my mom's exact comment was "You'd better start saving!"

So yes the Atari 2600 was the first console I bought with my own money and I did so at age 12 in 1980 if memory serves. Needless to say, I bought all my own consoles from then on out...

Back to the Atari...I had made it a Long Term Goal to be able to buy one. And I worked my ass off to get it. I saved allowance, I did odd jobs around the house, and asked the neighbors if they had anything for me...I seem to remember cleaning rain gutters and mowing lawns, even once getting paid to remove these caterpillars out of the neighbor's garden who were eating flowers and vegetables etc., Later I'd get a paper route and have plenty of game money :)

Anyway I remember seeing an ad in the newspaper for an Atari VCS on sale at Grand Central; A store within walking distance of my house. The ad showed a retail price of $149.99, but had them on sale for $129.99! saving $20 might not seem like much in today's dollars but in 1980 it was Huge!!

I had just a little over $80 saved up and I didn't know if they'd go for it or not, but I asked my parents and they said OK. My mom said she'd loan me the money and I could pay her back, and (thinking about it now) she seemed proud of me for finding the sale on my own.

At first all I had was Combat (which came with my light sixer), but I had friends who came over all of the time...We usually hung out at my house more often than anyone else's. Some of these friends would later buy Ataris and ColecoVisions too and we'd always be talking and playing games...

Anyway my sister later surprised me by buying me a game as a one-off Halloween gift! Now I had Space War and Combat! Although now I'm all about single player games if possible, in those days I had friends over pretty often so 2 player games were just fine...

For Christmas that year my sister bought me 5 Atari games and the collection had begun! My sister was Awesome!

Like I say later I'd get a paper route and could always buy games...My mom once suggested I could pretend I was at an arcade and save a quarter every time I played a game, then when I'd saved enough, I could go buy another game. I always liked that. My mom was Awesome too! (R.I.P.)

Later I'd buy a ColecoVision, an ADAM, an NES, a SNES, and a Genesis...

I bought a PlayStation probably around March or April of 1996 after seeing Twisted Metal at my friend's house and realizing I had to have it. I was a huge PlayStation fan, (Not even getting an N64 until a few years ago),...Buying mostly Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby, or Driver type games, platformers, arcade comps, shooters, and of course RPGs...

• Like 3

I've got lots of nostalgia for the good old PS1. It's probably my favorite system along with the NES.

It was also the first system I bought myself, as I was a college student flush with cash from my "part time" job (actually 40 hours a week between two part time jobs) and no living expenses. :)

I remember getting my Playstation along with Soul Blade, Tekken 2, and Wild Arms. I remember picking up Resident Evil and Twisted Metal 2 shortly after that. My second part time job, by the way, was at a game store specifically so I could get the 20% discount. :)

The Playstation had one of the greatest libraries of all time, and 3D graphics were still new enough that small teams could come out with some very interesting games. It also has some of the best music hardware ever (most people do not realize that a lot of PSX games use music generated on the soundchip; it sounds that good).

I've got a PSone that still works fine, but my new obsession is my PSPgo with custom firmware loaded with PSX ISOs ripped from my collection (no lie... small lie, I have some ISOs from US region games I can't get here). The PSPgo not only offers video output (even at native res for PSX games if you set the system to "interlaced" strange enough), but can be paired with a Dual Shock 3... making it into the ultimate mini PS1 console. The only downside is some input lag with the Dual Shock 3, but if you play on a low latency TV it's not even noticeable outside of rhythm and golf games.

Edited by newtmonkey

Ahhh the PS1, the first console to fail on me and the first console I had to repurchase. The second one I had to repurchase was the PS2. I had A LOT of problems with early Playstations. Very frustrating, but I did have some good times with them playing Final Fantasy Tactics, Alundra, and the Metal Gear Solid games.

Edited by Ramses