Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hahahha!  Just listened back now.  I didn't mean to do that... but it was kinda funny listening at it now.

:)

It could be the "Toasty" of the 2020s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

We haven't decided yet.  We've gone back and forth a few times but think we like the overall 2D nature of how everything is looking.  Very cartoon style.  Bringing in 3D shadowing could ruin the look and may seem out of place.

just to be clear I wasnt speaking about 3d generated engine produced shadowing throughout the game. I was speaking of using some basic hand drawn shadowing ( ex. below)  on the main character. Often it's little more than a oval beneath the character. I just mentioned this because when you use shadowing like this , when the character jumps its doesnt look floaty, the shadow beneath anchors the animation and character. Shadowing also can give a character and game a level of depth so that you can easily put in foreground and background and the character with a shadow gets to live and play in the space in between.

clipart-vector-002.jpg.81d2ce921ef439395cb67ca7427449da.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

Nobody but him cares about ambidextrous controllers. That's all he talks about!

In general, most people are silent or take-it-or-leave-it about details.

If you eat at a restaurant and think it's acceptable but not special you don't complain and go away afterwards.

If you like it very well but it's not the best you've had, or not that important, you silently consume it over and over. 

If it's inedible or sickening, depending on degree, you call the manager or your lawyer.

If it's awesome, you endorse it and see if you can get a sponsorship favors.

If you like most of it, but one detail is really off, you try to fix it.

Groups 1 and 2 are the largest pool of customers.  They are either typical customers or middle of the road people.

Group 3 is your obstacles.  That was me after 2 incidents that did seemed like you targeted me (cancelling online despite Netrogames, and announcing no ads within 1 overnight and business day of receiving my letter). Thank you for getting me past that phase by saying I was not on your radar until that letter and you handled it right.  That personal response plus legitimate chatter about the issues made me put the full 100% down on an Amico at GameStop.

Group 4 are your fans.  They are your word of mouth advertising budget.  

Group 5 are generally with you. and wish you well, but can see things you can't see.  They slipstream in ways to make lots of people happy, both themselves as well as initial objectors but compromise agreeers.

Like you said, the games you envisioned are best with a $10 or less license.  But if successful,  there might be other pro-consumer models that could work , like totally free Advergame with limited commercial content per time of content, no double dipping with both a paid license AND ads, using part of the ad  revenue for achievement money/ tournament winners, try before you buy, and stuff other people can think of.  Since Netrogames takes 30 seconds to establish a direct link anyway, that time can show a commercial and your "eyeball time" is the ONLY online fee you pay.  And you only pay it once every time you switch remote opponents and/or game titles.  That also encourages games vs friends and family over randoms.

Sounds better that the floated $60 for 6 months of Xbox Live. (before it was $60 a year, and before $50 a year).

As I said, Hori USA would have accepted the design if it weren't for a policy that all designs are done in Japan.  Has Hori done any Mortal Kombat, Injustice or other Midway (or any other US/non Japanese company's) art joysticks?  If so, that makes sense.

If you generally like video games, but find left handed sticks an obstacle to enjoying them  you have to break company warrantee regulations to get what you want

Is it okay to complain about joystick components and button layout, and even joystick artwork, but not deal with complaints on  joystick side?

Probably "goofy handedness" is the largest handicap that is not federally subsidized to overcome.

Baseball gloves, hockey sticks, golf clubs come in many sizes and both hands.  They probably have 20 different hand/size combos in stock.

Mini Golf courses proverbially doubles their house clubs by buying Ambidexterous putters.

If you can make an bidexterous joystick with a reasonable facsimile of a Japanese custom contour but add ambidedterity with only adding one button vs another 8, it makes more economic sense to "cover more bases" for the cost of 1 button per joystick.  You don't also have to predict the lefty to righty ratio.  One joystick sells to both markets.  The same person may be right stick in fighters but left stick in manual rapid fire schmups.  More likely they"ll buy extra games with the joystick money they save.

Also don't make joystick compatibility a 100% Compatibility requirement, just an add on for those who prefer sticks over pads in games that are not unplayable in digital stick mode.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

IE cares about it.  The amico controllers are ambidextrous and is a helpful feature for casuals.

There's lots of intellivision games that are eight directions or less and would play perfectly fine with an arcade joystick.  The Amico disc is pressure sensitive so something like Amico Astrosmash which looks like a 2-way control could have varying speed control.

Thank you @MrMe.  Plus there more to the pre-crash gaming universe than just Intellivision.

Out of 8 systems (!!!!!) That sold in 1983, 5 were Ambidexterous.  They are the Bally Astrocade, the original Intellivision (first multi button controller to do so) both of Colecovision's stick controllers, the Atari 5200, and Emerson Arcadia 2001.  The sixth, the 2600 ( PS why isn't the new Atari VCS called the 10400, pronounced one-oh-four hundred?) was intended to be right stick only, but third party joysticks,  dongles, and options in games will let you flip it for lefty.  Odyssey 2 was Righty only hard wired. And Vectrex was lefty only, but a flipper dongle was made when it was retro.

BTW I'm not a casual, I had a Colecovision as a kid.  The Nintendo looked less appealing both because if pad and not stick, and lefty not rightie.  I just did something to improve myself instead of quit playing with my brother and friends.  I asked Nintendo and Sega what to do if I want to play stick right, like in the pre-Nintendo days.  Nintendo said to practice and you'll eventually beat them with the licensed controllers out there.  At least Sega gave me a real solution, KY Enterprises, a controller maker for handicapped people.

Read my website if you want to hear about the victory that was worth $70 in pride and 1994 currency alone.

• Like 1

If we get a physical bowling game, it can come with a bowling ball.  Lol.  If we get a physical golf game, it can include a golf club.  Lol.  It'll be neat to see what comes with the physical media.  Hopefully Tommy is going to show what it looks like before launch.  I know he showed some people what it looks like.  

• Like 5

21 hours ago, LePionnier said:

It's quiet here ... So I have to show you this !

I laughed a lot ! :)

This is one of the most anticipated games for me on Amico ! 😀👍

This was cool.  Thanks for sharing.  By the way I like the music in this video.  It's a piece called the Carmina Burana.  It would make for epic boss music in an Amico game like Cloudy Mountain.  Especially when it gets more upbeat and the choir is getting louder.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yep!  We're doing soundtracks for a few of the games!

Night Stalker, Astrosmash & Finnigan Fox are a few of them!

This makes me VERY happy, one of the few Steam upsells I sucker into is the soundtrack. So much good music in games, even little indies sometimes. With Tommy at the helm I think the Amico will be a hot bed of great gaming music.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tripletopper said:

Thank you @MrMe.  Plus there more to the pre-crash gaming universe than just Intellivision.

Out of 8 systems (!!!!!) That sold in 1983, 5 were Ambidexterous.  They are the Bally Astrocade, the original Intellivision (first multi button controller to do so) both of Colecovision's stick controllers, the Atari 5200, and Emerson Arcadia 2001.  The sixth, the 2600 ( PS why isn't the new Atari VCS called the 10400, pronounced one-oh-four hundred?) was intended to be right stick only, but third party joysticks,  dongles, and options in games will let you flip it for lefty.  Odyssey 2 was Righty only hard wired. And Vectrex was lefty only, but a flipper dongle was made when it was retro.

BTW I'm not a casual, I had a Colecovision as a kid.  The Nintendo looked less appealing both because if pad and not stick, and lefty not rightie.  I just did something to improve myself instead of quit playing with my brother and friends.  I asked Nintendo and Sega what to do if I want to play stick right, like in the pre-Nintendo days.  Nintendo said to practice and you'll eventually beat them with the licensed controllers out there.  At least Sega gave me a real solution, KY Enterprises, a controller maker for handicapped people.

Read my website if you want to hear about the victory that was worth $70 in pride and 1994 currency alone.

I am with you, I think ambidextrous is important especially when you want to reach a wider audience. It isn't just a right or left handed thing, people just have preferences or maybe injuries or arthritis in a hand. Having a flexible controller that can play disc left, or right or bottom just is another way to make people feel comfortable about playing. I am not certain the Amico needs a fight stick, but I am all for having an ambidextrous one in general. The interface between you and the game is really important.

• Like 3

That was good to see the new Finnegan Fox trailer.

I agree with some of the criticism- mainly minor things like the shadows and animations which I assume can be easily modified.

I was also confused by the multiple hearts and easy mode, since it was not mentioned in the video that there would be a hard mode. Additionally info I was seeing on the subreddit was echoing the "Amico made for kids, therefore only easy games" which put me off- that would be nice to know if there'll be multiple modes in future demo trailers, given I didn't read all the comments.

Otherwise, and now that I know what I know, I'm still excited about this title. Based on the launch library, I think this'll be my first purchase.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, seventh sage said:

That was good to see the new Finnegan Fox trailer.

I agree with some of the criticism- mainly minor things like the shadows and animations which I assume can be easily modified.

I was also confused by the multiple hearts and easy mode, since it was not mentioned in the video that there would be a hard mode. Additionally info I was seeing on the subreddit was echoing the "Amico made for kids, therefore only easy games" which put me off- that would be nice to know if there'll be multiple modes in future demo trailers, given I didn't read all the comments.

Otherwise, and now that I know what I know, I'm still excited about this title. Based on the launch library, I think this'll be my first purchase.

I find Redditers generally fall into 3 basic categories, especially for r/Amico

Small Minority: There are handful of people who shit on everything Amico related, just look back at their comment history. Those people I write off because they are just butt hurt over something and it doesn't matter if the Amico shot out gold and a cure for Covid as you played, it would still suck.

Majority: Quick glance analysis: Hey that looked cheesy or glitchy or why didn't they show that it must not be there at all, ever! - totally ignoring the giant "Game in Development, Not Finished" warning at the front of the video

Small Minority: Actually watched the video and understand it is an early peek and comment based on that basis.

r/Amico is fine as a news feed, but as with most of Reddit, I don't pay much attention to the comments unless it is an actual discussion topic - and this is coming from an /r/Amico mod

• Like 7

I think I asked this question before but I forgot the answer. Will I be able to pre-order extra controllers , physical media , Amico case and whatever else so I get it all together with my FE ? Or will I be able to pre-order the rest in Canada 🇨🇦 ? Be fun to get it all in one box but will I get abused on border charges ? Lol 😂 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cranker said:

I think I asked this question before but I forgot the answer. Will I be able to pre-order extra controllers , physical media , Amico case and whatever else so I get it all together with my FE ? Or will I be able to pre-order the rest in Canada 🇨🇦 ? Be fun to get it all in one box but will I get abused on border charges ? Lol 😂 

I would love to know this as well though I am in the US.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 10:35 PM, CurlyQ said:

intellivision-i-love-skiing-tshirt.thumb.png.c5e73507389c5669d9a83c4de610e399.png

Graphic must be from one of the harder levels given the size of those mountains.  🤪

For those that may have noticed, I haven't been here since the end of December as I came down pretty hard with COVID.  Had high fever at home for 10 days before needing to be hospitalized for nearly 3 weeks. Finally back at home 😁 and on my way to recovery. 

Getting stronger every day, but I’m told I will likely be closer to being in the 3 months camp, then the 6 weeks camp estimated for recovery (seems like there may be 2 trajectories for those knocked down like me)

My wife and son caught this as well, all of us on the same day.  My son was down 2 days and bounced back immediately, my wife was sick for about 2 weeks and is still fatigued from time to time but is generally doing well.  She was fortunate to avoid the hospital. 

Happy to finally be back here and need to catch up on posts (over 30 pages worth)

Stay safe all and take it from me; make that plan A, cause plan B sucks. 

One thing I did learn - My understanding was you head to the ER if you have issues breathing, which for me didn’t happen until day 10; but because I had been infected for so long before going in, they almost didn’t give me the anti-virals that I believe ended up saving my life (some of the docs felt it was too late to provide benefit). As such, my recommendation is to ensure you are SEEN for any symptoms lasting longer then 5 days to ensure you make the window I nearly missed.  

Edited by Starpaddler
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, Starpaddler said:

Getting stronger every day, but I’m told I will likely be closer to being in the 3 months camp, then the 6 weeks camp estimated for recovery (seems like there may be 2 trajectories for those knocked down like me)

My wife and son caught this as well, all of us on the same day.  My son was down 2 days and bounced back immediately, my wife was sick for about 2 weeks and is still fatigued from time to time but is generally doing well.  She was fortunate to avoid the hospital. 

Glad that you and your family are on the mend. The unpredictability of this virus is really one of its scariest traits. Hopefully we all we be able to get back to normal just in time for the release of the amico later this summer.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

I am with you, I think ambidextrous is important especially when you want to reach a wider audience. It isn't just a right or left handed thing, people just have preferences or maybe injuries or arthritis in a hand. Having a flexible controller that can play disc left, or right or bottom just is another way to make people feel comfortable about playing. I am not certain the Amico needs a fight stick, but I am all for having an ambidextrous one in general. The interface between you and the game is really important.

First of all,   calling it a "Fight Stick" is limiting.  It's also a Schmup Stick, a Maze Stick, a platformer stick, a digger stick (Dig Dug, Mr Do, Boulder Dash)

The problem is that Pre Crash games at home has had at least 8 different experiences at home.  It wasn't 90% unified in the US, like  Nintendo in the US.  

The arcade joystick was a common experience to all on quite a few games pre-Crash.

Pre-Crash it was mainly  about player attraction.  Then Jamma was a quarter-eating scheme attracting machine Ops by promising the intentional left hand stick as a hidden credit shortener. Operators get paid by the 3 lives, not by the minute (where an ad based model would be better)

It's the Second Golden Rule : he who has the gold makes the rules.  In arcades, left stick made business sense, unless they're was a quarter-plunker boycott.  But at home doesn't the customer have more choice.

Between Nintendo's dominance and an Arcade Owner collusion forced by JAMMA  (the J in JAMMA stands for Japanese). I feel like I listen to music on a cylinder, not a platter. (Though technically a platter is a cylinder of differing proportions )

I really wasn't a champ at Nintendo much. The controller held.me back. 

Probably enough pre crash gamers would like a 4 way / 8 way switchable ambidexterous joystick.

I had little experience with INTV until the 90s when I got them on Ken Awesome trips to Goodwill hunting.   In the 80s, I HATED  the disc, (but I was under 10.  It ages better like wine or cigars [or so I hear] or seeing the neighbor 10 year old neighbor  when I'm 13,  vs her at 18 and me at 21.)

I could have quit.  But I found a way to stay in it.  I was a pioneer,  buying a custom made right handed fight stick when no one bought a custom stick. I had to ask Nintendo and Sega where to go.  (Sega said KY Enterprises, Nintendo basically said Hell without using that word.)

PS when I find a game I work well with, I do really well, I'm number 1 one-credit score on Simpsons (Arcade) according to Twin Galaxies (with an original arcade machine. A couple scores beat me on Xbox Live Arcade emulated.). Unless I'm an early natural prodigy (at least compared to friends), I rarely stick with a game, though I play games I usually lose like Saturn Bomberman socially with 7 friends.  I never won.  But on Dreamcast Bomberman online I won 3 out of 4 games online vs randoms.  And games were 4 player games

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

Graphic must be from one of the harder levels given the size of those mountains.  🤪

Bahahaaa!! I've been waiting for somebody to deliver that keen observation. :lol:

All the best to you and your family. Stay Safe and speedy recovery!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In Short, enough people would be interested in ambidexterous arcade joysticks.  Not every Amico is an INTV-specific fan, but may like pre crash games in general.

And Joysticks are not just for fighting games and beat em ups.  Pads were made because they were cheaper, not better.

3 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

For those that may have noticed, I haven't been here since the end of December as I came down pretty hard with COVID.  Had high fever at home for 10 days before needing to be hospitalized for nearly 3 weeks. Finally back at home 😁 and on my way to recovery. 

Happy to finally be back here and need to catch up on posts (over 30 pages worth)

One thing I did learn - My understanding was you head to the ER if you have issues breathing, which for me didn’t happen until day 10; but because I had been infected for so long before going in, they almost didn’t give me the anti-virals that I believe ended up saving my life (some of the docs felt it was too late to provide benefit). As such, my recommendation is to ensure you are SEEN for any symptoms lasting longer then 5 days to ensure you make the window I nearly missed.  

Glad to see you back safe and well! Must of been a worrying time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

Wow, so glad you are out of the hospital and feeling well enough to admire the moguls ;) . Had a few family members with Covid but only one required hospitalization (but a serious bout at that - had to be transferred to a bigger hospital for better care). It really is an unpredictable disease and not one to be taken lightly especially if you are older or have existing conditions - great advice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1