Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


Interesting that you mentioned those two.  Just sayin'

:)

 

 

 

 

Would be the next thing on the Mattel list, but we need to finish Colossal Crash first.

 


Google Moonbug Entertainment.

Wouldn't THAT Be Something!!!

:)

 

 

Not Cocomelon! 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

So what is the VCS then?  A game machine, video player, music box?  I'm a bit lost in the concept... and at this point have so many BT and electronic units all over my house that I fail to see the purpose of even owning it.

That is the problem with entering an existing market without a clear Point of View. Love it or hate it, the Amico has a very clear POV in the market (100% couch coop, family friendly, etc) which clearly distinguishes it. The VCS seemed to have focused on the hardware but their the key differentiator, the new classic joystick, doesn't seem ready for prime time - which really hurts what little uniqueness they had. On the software side they seem to mostly be just doing "build it and they will come" however "sell lots of it and they will come" is much more accurate for the software market. So with little uniqueness in the hardware, price point or software there is little compelling beyond the nostalgia factor.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

That is the problem with entering an existing market without a clear Point of View. Love it or hate it, the Amico has a very clear POV in the market (100% couch coop, family friendly, etc) which clearly distinguishes it. The VCS seemed to have focused on the hardware but their the key differentiator, the new classic joystick, doesn't seem ready for prime time - which really hurts what little uniqueness they had. On the software side they seem to mostly be just doing "build it and they will come" however "sell lots of it and they will come" is much more accurate for the software market. So with little uniqueness in the hardware, price point or software there is little compelling beyond the nostalgia factor.

Thank you for being honest.  I realize this is your opinion, and I appreciate it.  I'm still going to stay in the same holding pattern I've been in for a while on this one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I know it's not Amico related.  But I hope OEB Pete does a review like this one for the Amico.

YOu can Fraq'ing Count on it, 1 day, 5 day, 10, day, 30 day and so on and so on

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

What does a hybrid PC/console do?  What does that mean "open doors to new experiences"? 

That's just my wording... just how I see it, not the Atari marketing. I'll PM you about that. :thumbsup: 

Now, back to the topic here? Intellivision Amico. What is it about the Amico you want most?
Obviously, I read, not "5 min euphoric novelty feeling". :-D Nostalgia or couch co-op gaming?
Tommy wrote lots to catch up on, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

That is the problem with entering an existing market without a clear Point of View. Love it or hate it, the Amico has a very clear POV in the market (100% couch coop, family friendly, etc) which clearly distinguishes it. The VCS seemed to have focused on the hardware but their the key differentiator, the new classic joystick, doesn't seem ready for prime time - which really hurts what little uniqueness they had. On the software side they seem to mostly be just doing "build it and they will come" however "sell lots of it and they will come" is much more accurate for the software market. So with little uniqueness in the hardware, price point or software there is little compelling beyond the nostalgia factor.

If someone likes the atari vcs classic joystick, they can buy it separately and use it with emulators on their PC.  Bluetooth might be finicky but you can also use it as a wired usb game controller.  You can get more information in the atari vcs thread.  

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/314716-so-are-those-classic-controllers-any-good/

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, justclaws said:

That's just my wording... just how I see it, not the Atari marketing. I'll PM you about that. :thumbsup: 

Now, back to the topic here? Intellivision Amico. What is it about the Amico you want most?
Obviously, I read, not "5 min euphoric novelty feeling". :-D Nostalgia or couch co-op gaming?
Tommy wrote lots to catch up on, huh?

I really like the idea of having the room focused on the game, like Pictionary and some of the other fun family games do.  I'm most looking forward to that. 

 

I guess at this point with all the insane amount of retro-gaming options out there, I like the idea of looking back, but really think the new re-imagined game sets are looking better.  Hand's down, you can't re-create the exact pixel for pixel display of these old machines... unless you run the original one. You can get close, but it's never like the original.  So to put the kind of effort that IE is into the Amico being a retro-machine is almost moot so far into it.  Even playing old games on it won't be the same because of the controller.  A touch screen is nothing close to a bubbled plastic controller.  Fun and cool no doubt, but I can see the Amico being a lot more than that for the gaming community.  I don't need it to stream movies, run music players...store family pics...surf the net... etc.. I just would like a fun, useable, re-playable machine that has ties to the past in a fun retro-mod way... but breaks new ground for a few years to come.. like the Switch.

 

On a side note... I just would like to see more focused gameplay videos that show the games being played, not the users playing the games.  It looks fun, but I want to see the games at this point.  I was hoping for a system I keep coming back to and get to enjoy for years...free of licensing that points to a server that gets shut down, or a battery dies and you loose your game.   

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr_me said:

If someone likes the atari vcs classic joystick, they can buy it separately and use it with emulators on their PC.  Bluetooth might be finicky but you can also use it as a wired usb game controller.  You can get more information in the atari vcs thread.  

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/314716-so-are-those-classic-controllers-any-good/

I've seen this on Amazon as well... seems like it has a lot of very good reviews.  I don't own one, but was considering it for my Retropie unit.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Joystick-Controller-PC-Mac-Raspberry/dp/B08R23BTZ9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=atari+controller&qid=1619094531&sr=8-3

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

I've seen this on Amazon as well... seems like it has a lot of very good reviews.  I don't own one, but was considering it for my Retropie unit.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Joystick-Controller-PC-Mac-Raspberry/dp/B08R23BTZ9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=atari+controller&qid=1619094531&sr=8-3

It lacks the paddle function that the atari controller has.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, Intellivision Master said:

Yeah.  Where are these so called videos?  April is almost over.  But there's always next month.  Come on Tommy.  We need the videos.

 still no April videos 😢😢😢

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cranker said:

 still no April videos 😢😢😢

We can always hope that a video will arrive before the month is over.  Next month should have videos.  There needs to be videos each month leading up to launch.  Like I've said before, you have to keep the momentum going.  Tommy did so well with the videos in January & February this year.  I really hope he drops a lot of videos between now & launch.  Also, I can't wait for the TV commercials and seeing Amico being advertised.  It's going to be awesome.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IMBerzerk said:

I've seen this on Amazon as well... seems like it has a lot of very good reviews.  I don't own one, but was considering it for my Retropie unit.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Joystick-Controller-PC-Mac-Raspberry/dp/B08R23BTZ9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=atari+controller&qid=1619094531&sr=8-3

It's...ok. Will be fine for a wired Retropie setup. Worth about $15 of the $20 it costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

This looks cool and could be on Amico.  It has pixel art.  I know Tommy isn't a fan of that.  But he could change it like he did with Finnigan Fox.

Wow, this is a nice looking game. I like how it looks retro, but yet carries a modern play animation.  Definitely smoother than the "card style" or "flash" style animation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

It's...ok. Will be fine for a wired Retropie setup. Worth about $15 of the $20 it costs. 

Like mr_me said, and I agree, missing the rotating aspect.  But I like the look of it.  I agree.. for $20... it's worth it for the look alone.  LOL.

 

Nice Warduke avatar by the way... personal D&D fav!

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

It's...ok. Will be fine for a wired Retropie setup. Worth about $15 of the $20 it costs. 

Off topic but I am looking for the best wireless controller for my Retropie set up. Any suggestions ? I was checking out 8bitdo pro 2. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, woobman said:

Leading me to a question for @Tommy Tallarico - Have you disclosed all the cool features of the controller or hardware in general? Or are there still some surprises lurking under that LCD (LED?) panel? Or possibly under the hood of the console itself? Curious droids want to know.

 

Some cool stuff that is physical media related and using your controller over a friends house (game sharing) that we haven't announced.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

 

Some cool stuff that is physical media related and using your controller over a friends house (game sharing) that we haven't announced.

Tommy Tease alerts is back on the Menu Boyz.... week GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Battlefish said:

I understand this information is most likely under NDA, but Intellivision isn't planning anything like this, are they?

 

No.  We have a pretty cool set up going and every one of our games (digital & physical) is an NFT.  We even received a special technology grant because of it!

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

So what is the VCS then?  A game machine, video player, music box?  I'm a bit lost in the concept... and at this point have so many BT and electronic units all over my house that I fail to see the purpose of even owning it.

 

 

I think a lot of folks have been asking that same question.

 

For me personally... it's a Steam box for my TV.  I think that is probably it's strongest point marketing-wise (if I were running the joint).  :)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OEB_Pete said:

YOu can Fraq'ing Count on it, 1 day, 5 day, 10, day, 30 day and so on and so on


What about Day 2???  

:)

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Off topic but I am looking for the best wireless controller for my Retropie set up. Any suggestions ? I was checking out 8bitdo pro 2. 

I can say it's one of the most popular.  It works well... does have issues here and there with configuring some games.  But you can always post in the Retropie forum if you have issues.  Mitsu is an awesome guy...just don't direct post to him.  He hates that.  LOL. 

 

I still use 2 wired SNES controllers... but plan on switching to the 8bitdo pro 2 as well.  I've been using and building my unit for over 5 years... I'm well versed.  LOL

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

This looks cool and could be on Amico.  It has pixel art.  I know Tommy isn't a fan of that.  But he could change it like he did with Finnigan Fox.


I like this one.  I could see it on Amico for sure.

 

Yes... it's pixel art, but it's really well done and artistically beautiful.  It's more like mid 90's as opposed to late 80's/early 90's.  Or maybe another way to say it is that it looks more like a 32-bit game than an 8 or 16 bit one.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...