Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

7 minutes ago, totalamico said:

With Tommy and the Intellivision team releasing the terrific cover artwork for Moon Patrol... hey, I was excited to add it to the imaginary game box series!

I know that the game cases and format are going to be a bit different to this but making the designs just keeps my enthusiasm going in the run-up to launch :-).

1668098391_Screenshot2021-06-08at13_22_22.thumb.png.fad2b7db247831832c88be94572c4d51.png

Love your box designs ! 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CurlyQ said:

@woobman made me do it. :lolblue: Perhaps he can further elaborate on this peculiar concoction.

intellivision-amico-controller-playdate-crank.png.a25a06cca4dc9b7161c3dac11bc258fa.png

With Play date's presentation just around the corner.....  The Amico has it's own crank. And a screen...   I know Tommy said the controllers can't do games on their own. If the Amico could transmit Data in real time over to the controller.. I wonder if it could do some little games like the above? 

Also.. I have full control over this forum at all it's minions. I mean Shills!! Tommy works for me. -insert evil laugh- 

After looking at another @CurlyQ masterpiece, I realized something: If the control disc is easily replaceable, a crank like that would make for a very intuitive fishing game.  Amico Fishing Derby any one?

Thank you @CurlyQ !!!!!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, woobman said:

Also.. I have full control over this forum at all it's minions. I mean Shills!! Tommy works for me. -insert evil laugh-

I'm the one who has full control.  For I am the master.  Hahaha.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, woobman said:

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

🤣 Looks like we have a Mexican Standoff (vid a bit NSFW but hilarious)

• Haha 3

On 6/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, woobman said:

For those wondering how true it is about small manufacturers and getting products out the door. On time. Here are a few articles to read about another system:

After many glowing articles including the cover of Edge Magazine, it was pretty much radio silence.

https://play.date/edge/

Here is the October 2020 announcement that the Playdate handheld was delayed until March of 2021.(After missing it's original window).

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30/21542841/playdate-games-handheld-panic-delay-2021

Now a few months after the release date passed and no real news... We get the info that it's delayed again.   

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22466184/panic-playdate-handheld-price-double-season-one-games-update-preorder

But don't worry. You get 4GB of storage. Up from 2GB! 24 games... And an almost 20% price hike... I have not found any negative info or YouTube videos. No one saying, wait.. For $20.00 more  you can get a switch Lite. Better screen. More games. Better than (original) Gameboy graphics. COLOR!!!! ETC. No multiple videos stating that there are inherent flaws in the yet to be released system. No one going on reddit with multiple fake accounts to post negative things. In fact.. Pretty much nothing. Except for some demos here and there. I couldn't find any. If you can, let us know.

If I sound negative. I'm not. I am intrigued by this little yellow thing. From what little I've seen of it, I want to see more. There could be some fun in those 24 games.  How much? I don't know. I'm holding off judgement until I have it in my hand to try out. Or a review from a source that I trust. I also want to see what games will be available as it's got an odd business model for software. You seem to have to buy "seasons" of games.  Depending on the cost of the seasons, and what the games are like to actually play I may pick one up. The group behind the device has been making software for 20+ years, so they kinda know what they are doing.. Plus I like some of the stuff that they produced. Is there a chance that this may be good? Yes.  Is there a chance that it will not be? Yes.   I'm keeping an open mind about it.

This just reminds me of some other system that has been delayed and has an experienced team of people behind. The difference in coverage, is that for some reason, there is a group of people that seem hell bent on bashing it, without ever laying their paws on it. EVEN AFTER BEING INVITED TO. Multiple times. I can't think of it's name.. Hmmm @Tommy Tallarico you have every system out there... Maybe  you can :)

Are both of the systems mentioned above for EVERYONE. No. But. Do they both have the potential of being a lot of fun? YES. 

So, the Play Date does look intriguing.  However, like you stated, it is only $20 less at this point than a Switch lite.  Granted, it does seem that price hike does come with more storage and more games.  Still, at $179, and as cool as this thing looks, this is a firm pass for me as a Switch lite for $20 more is a much better deal.  Also, note that an Evercade handheld can be had for, what, a $100 that comes with a handheld and 3 game collection carts.  At this point the Play Date is a gaming handheld novelty item that I really don't see being for any real regular mainstream gamers.  Still, I could be wrong and do look forward to seeing and learning more about the Play Date.  But, at this time and for the money they are wanting, I can think of better gaming related items to put money towards.

• Like 4

I know it's not Amico related but I watched the live video from Panic for the Playdate.  It was really good and had a few surprises.  The season one games were shown.  They said pre-orders start in July.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:
2 hours ago, woobman said:

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

🤣 Looks like we have a Mexican Standoff (vid a bit NSFW but hilarious)

You two make me laugh..  I love that K n P skit!!!!

That's it... @Intellivision Master When online gameplay on the Amico is a thing... Astrosmash/skiing/shark shark/farkle/Tron  at 20 paces..  :P

• Like 3

After looking at another @CurlyQ masterpiece, I realized something: If the control disc is easily replaceable, a crank like that would make for a very intuitive fishing game.  Amico Fishing Derby any one? 

This is an insanely good idea. Imagine how great it would feel holding one of the side buttons and then releasing it to cast.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Unrelated to Amico but some might find this interesting 

I saw it.  They showed a dock accessory that also has a speaker built-in.  And it charges the console as well.  It also comes with a pen.  I wonder if the pen could be a stylus?  Not sure if the handheld has a touch screen?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I saw it.  They showed a dock accessory that also has a speaker built-in.  And it charges the console as well.  It also comes with a pen.  I wonder if the pen could be a stylus?  Not sure if the handheld has a touch screen?

I don’t think so but they should include the dock at the 179$ price ! Looks quirky but cool and I’m a sucker for new tech so I’ll probably get it !

• Like 6

Just now, Cranker said:

I don’t think so but they should include the dock at the 179$ price ! Looks quirky but cool and I’m a sucker for new tech so I’ll probably get it !

Yeah, it probably isn't.  It would be nice if the dock was included with the $180 price.  Most likely it's not.  Lol.  Hopefully the dock isn't expensive.  The dock does look cool and the handheld attaches to it like a magnet.  At least it looked that way in the video.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yeah, it probably isn't.  It would be nice if the dock was included with the $180 price.  Most likely it's not.  Lol.  Hopefully the dock isn't expensive.  The dock does look cool and the handheld attaches to it like a magnet.  At least it looked that way in the video.

Your right, it is magnetic - he even mentioned it in the vid. They also have a $30 magnetic device cover too. Nice they are making more games but a speaker dock and a soothing music library? They don't do anything for me, I already have too many desk widgets. Still interested in the base unit however, and I was excited that they have a beginner RPGish builder coming for free with Pulp. That might make it a cool STEAM gift to a budding programmer.

Also notice how much they are hedging on when pre-orders might ship with the current parts shortage (I guess Intellivision isn't the only one feeling the parts pinch):
https://youtu.be/DeWGukDrc1U?t=711

Also one of the other unusual game systems, GameBoard1 (LastBoardGame) is still alive and kicking too: https://twitter.com/LastGameboard

• Like 2

5 hours ago, woobman said:

With Play date's presentation just around the corner.....  The Amico has it's own crank. And a screen...   I know Tommy said the controllers can't do games on their own. If the Amico could transmit Data in real time over to the controller.. I wonder if it could do some little games like the above? 

Thank you @CurlyQ !!!!!

LOL,  I thought this was some sort of child lock.  blocking disc use until Mom removes it!  :)

Actually,  That looks like it would work!  Imagine you are playing Shark Shark and I am messing with you.... Playing Fishing Derby!   :rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Cranker said:

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Overall a fun little presentation. Decent for a first one. Not enough info on why you would part with $180.00. We don't know what a subscription to a season is going to cost. Do we get to keep the games we want and let others download? You know. The little things.  I do admit, there was enough to make me want to learn more. But not enough to be first in line to pre-order.  I look forward to getting more details!

We've been spoiled with all the updates. Videos. Interactions. Combat.  You know, the usual.

Edited by woobman
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, woobman said:

Overall a fun little presentation. Decent for a first one. Not enough info on why you would part with $180.00. We don't know what a subscription to a season is going to cost. Do we get to keep the games we want and let others download?

Yes, I thought it was a good presentation.  I liked the animation at the start.  That was unique.  I don't think there's a subscription.  You do get to keep the games once they're on the console.  Which is nice.  Not sure how much a season will cost?  I was hoping you could choose certain games to buy from a season.  Most likely you must purchase the full season.  Perhaps you can skip seasons though.  Like jump from season 2 to season 4 or whatever.  But then I wonder if by doing that, you can go back and buy a season you skipped over?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woobman said:

Overall a fun little presentation. Decent for a first one. Not enough info on why you would part with $180.00. We don't know what a subscription to a season is going to cost. Do we get to keep the games we want and let others download? You know. The little things.  I do admit, there was enough to make me want to learn more. But not enough to be first in line to pre-order.  I look forward to getting more details!

We've been spoiled with all the updates. Videos. Interactions. Combat.  You know, the usual.

You do get 24 games which is not bad. Yes it is pricey but seems to be built well. I’m going to pre-order it and take a chance. If it ends up coming out after the Amico I might cancel it. We’ll see !   😀

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 4

On 6/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, Tommy Tallarico said:

Lots to catch up on!  Been slammed like crazy working on the big E3 video presentation.

Can't wait for everyone to see it!

I'll be back to answer questions and join in on the conversations over the next few days.  In the meantime...

Check out the cover art piece for our Moon Patrol physical product!

I can't wait to show people our approach to physical game products. It's a unique idea with a LOT of really cool benefits that haven't really been done before.

More info and a big reveal coming later this year.

PMBox_MoonPatrol_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.e1359285a4141dee5742df9e3ecbc21a.png

Really enjoying seeing this box art love this hand drawn works so rare in things now.  So it got me wondering are your digital releases going to have art like this for maybe the cover image before the game preview runs? 

• Like 6

Agreed.  It was a nice presentation and I think the device does look rather interesting.  However, why you would pay $180 for this and not just spend an extra $20 to get a Switch is going to be a hard question to answer.  Also, good point on the subscription/season thing.  Nice that people who get the Play Date get 24 games for 12 weeks.  However, what happens after that?  That is something that would be good to know for sure.  Finally, while the little speaker box thing is nice, how much is that going to cost?  I don't believe they mentioned anything regarding that.  I know it sounds like I am dogging this device, but I do find it intriguing and somewhat cool.  But, $180 for a handheld with a non-backlit black and white screen with a hand-crank is a bit of pass in my book at this time.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cranker said:

Unrelated to Amico but some might find this interesting 

My question: Who is this thing for?  I mean, who are they trying to target with this thing? It seems to be different and weird just to be different and weird. I'm trying to figure out why anybody would fork over $180 dollars for this when I can't see what it's really offering.

Intellivision is creating a console designed on making family friendly, co-op games that everyone can enjoy. Something you don't really find on other consoles. It's super focused and have been very open and transparent. They have hundreds of years of experience in the gaming industry. They've created numerous hit games and know exactly what they're doing.

The PlayDate video almost seems to brag that they have no idea what they're doing. They've never built hardware. Their game developers are first time creators and also don't really know what they're doing. What am I missing here? They're super vague about everything, and whatever shirt Cabel is wearing... just no. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Agreed.  It was a nice presentation and I think the device does look rather interesting.  However, why you would pay $180 for this and not just spend an extra $20 to get a Switch is going to be a hard question to answer.  Also, good point on the subscription/season thing.  Nice that people who get the Play Date get 24 games for 12 weeks.  However, what happens after that?  That is something that would be good to know for sure.  Finally, while the little speaker box thing is nice, how much is that going to cost?  I don't believe they mentioned anything regarding that.  I know it sounds like I am dogging this device, but I do find it intriguing and somewhat cool.  But, $180 for a handheld with a non-backlit black and white screen with a hand-crank is a bit of pass in my book at this time.

I want it because it looks cool 😎 I’m not the type to compare and say for 20$ more I could get a switch lite. If I want it and can afford it, I buy it ! It’s the same argument of why buy an Amico when tu can get a switch for 50$ more. Because I want an Amico and a Playdate. Value is subjective. I also agree that it’s overpriced and there is a risk of it being a novelty that may or may not hold my interest. 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Swami said:

I don't understand why the tin man's butt is sideways

i don't know but i hear Tin Man's girlfriend liked it in the can! 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, vongruetz said:

My question: Who is this thing for?  I mean, who are they trying to target with this thing? It seems to be different and weird just to be different and weird. I'm trying to figure out why anybody would fork over $180 dollars for this when I can't see what it's really offering.

Intellivision is creating a console designed on making family friendly, co-op games that everyone can enjoy. Something you don't really find on other consoles. It's super focused and have been very open and transparent. They have hundreds of years of experience in the gaming industry. They've created numerous hit games and know exactly what they're doing.

The PlayDate video almost seems to brag that they have no idea what they're doing. They've never built hardware. Their game developers are first time creators and also don't really know what they're doing. What am I missing here? They're super vague about everything, and whatever shirt Cabel is wearing... just no. 

I walked away from that video feeling like I was being talked to as if I was 7 years old.  I admit, sometimes I act that way... but please don't sales pitch me like I really am.

Completely passing on this one.  I get the uniqueness of the unit, but that's not enough reason for me to pony-up $200 for it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cranker said:

I want it because it looks cool 😎 I’m not the type to compare and say for 20$ more I could get a switch lite. If I want it and can afford it, I buy it ! It’s the same argument of why buy an Amico when tu can get a switch for 50$ more. Because I want an Amico and a Playdate. Value is subjective.

I would agree.  It does look cool.  Just for me it there are some answers left to be addressed yet.  Still, just like Tommy and IE, I wish the people at Panic the best of luck.  Definitely I am intrigued and look forward to more information.  But, for me, personally, this is a pass at this point.  Still, to each his/her own.  Nothing wrong with however and/or with whatever one chooses to game.

• Like 5