Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

25 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yo! 

I'm way behind on answering questions... just have a LOT going on this past week with E3 and everything else!

I'll make sure to carve out a few hours this weekend and go back a bunch of pages.

In the meantime...

We've been showing off a lot of our Retro inspired box artwork for some of our physical games.

Here is one that is more of a modern yet matching feel.

Dynablaster!

PMBox_Dynablaster_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.54fb660a363e65e7f5e6b1c33b9514ec.png

Love how you are loosely keeping the same artistic thread, will help people immediately identify Amico physical games & give collectors some shelf continuity too :)

1586989276_BiPlanesBoxArt.thumb.jpg.25b01d9dcd6a1bd3fb59188a4362a1e8.jpg431529023_MissileCommandBoxArt.thumb.jpg.2a845133a56e95a530469f2eb29e9488.jpg490385137_MoonPatrolBoxArt.thumb.jpg.9869b365da6c144c81b061cdb2c91b12.jpg

• Like 10

Just a quick GameStop update, considering some people are worried about them and Amico pre-orders:

Sales up 25%, quarterly losses cut by about 40% (really much more if you take out one time payments), over $180 million more cash on hand vs last year, long term debt reduced $504 million. Also Amazon hires of Matt Furlong as CEO and Mike Recupero as CFO  bolster their e-retail focus. Worth noting once again that GameStop's yoyo stock price does not effect the company's actual operations unless they issues shares to raise money (which they did and are looking to do once more) but once those are over it is back to basically no effect again. Don't confuse Wall Street pricing machinations with the business fundamentals, which are improving.

In what CEO George Sherman called a "strong start to the year," GameStop's net sales were up over 25 percent to $1.3 billion in the fiscal quarter ending on April 30. That's despite "a roughly 12 percent reduction in the global store fleet due to our strategic de-densification efforts and the continued store closures in Europe during the quarter due to the COVID-19 pandemic." The increased sales weren't enough to make GameStop profitable again, but they were enough to reduce quarterly losses to $66.8 million (or $29.4 million if you take out one-time payments), down from $108 million a year ago.

More than that, the last quarter saw GameStop's bottom line buoyed by the sale of 3.5 million shares of additional stock—$551 million worth—to a rabid market willing to pay an average of nearly $160 per share (compared to the sub-$20 share price at the beginning of the year). Thanks largely to that infusion of cash, GameStop has eliminated $504 million in long-term debts it had on its balance sheet a year ago, and it is now sitting on $770.8 million in cash on hand, up from $583.9 million a year ago.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/gamestop-stock-falls-sharply-amid-5m-share-sales-plan-sec-investigation/

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yo! 

I'm way behind on answering questions... just have a LOT going on this past week with E3 and everything else!

I'll make sure to carve out a few hours this weekend and go back a bunch of pages.

In the meantime...

We've been showing off a lot of our Retro inspired box artwork for some of our physical games.

Here is one that is more of a modern yet matching feel.

Dynablaster!

PMBox_Dynablaster_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.54fb660a363e65e7f5e6b1c33b9514ec.png

Another great hand drawn art cover this too me just gives the covers such personality 

• Like 8

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but kind of an interesting article from IGN about Microsoft starting to shift away from physical consoles/trying to get the Xbox experience in smart devices, etc. - https://www-ign-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.ign.com/articles/xbox-officially-moving-beyond-consoles-microsofts-support?

Just interesting in how the gaming sphere is further shifting away from "games" into mainstream "media experiences". Which to me and a lot of others is only more and more alienating as we're losing everything I loved about playing video games. Something about shelling out the cash to pay for a console was like psychologically planting a flag in that company's camp, like you're supporting their vision for the games/experiences that it makes possible.

And again, it's why I feel supporting Amico is so important. We aren't just paying for a console, we are supporting a vision for gaming centered around fun, family/friends, education, healthy play time, as well as celebrating a bygone era of gaming focusing on the art of play over all else.

Just my two cents. :)

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but kind of an interesting article from IGN about Microsoft starting to shift away from physical consoles/trying to get the Xbox experience in smart devices, etc. - https://www-ign-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.ign.com/articles/xbox-officially-moving-beyond-consoles-microsofts-support?

Just interesting in how the gaming sphere is further shifting away from "games" into mainstream "media experiences". Which to me and a lot of others is only more and more alienating as we're losing everything I loved about playing video games. Something about shelling out the cash to pay for a console was like psychologically planting a flag in that company's camp, like you're supporting their vision for the games/experiences that it makes possible.

And again, it's why I feel supporting Amico is so important. We aren't just paying for a console, we are supporting a vision for gaming centered around fun, family/friends, education, healthy play time, as well as celebrating a bygone era of gaming focusing on the art of play over all else.

Just my two cents. :)

Totally agree, the concept behind the Amico is important and it is a direct pushback from the sometimes toxic and almost always isolating state of current gaming. As a parent, this is the antithesis of what I want in a gaming platform.

The article credits Spencer with say the same thing that Tommy has been saying for years - there are 3 billion gamers but only 200 million ish console gamers. However the article makes it sound like the issue is just getting XBox on their phones. Halo not running on Gran's phone isn't the issue. There is a lot of fancy business speak about creating a "unified gaming ecosystem" and a reference to creating "new connective tissue" of gaming & profitability, but again I don't think accessibility or platform is the issue - it is the philosophy, interface & the games. So for the Amico is the only platform that speaks 100% to these issues, which isn't to say that philosophy & methodology couldn't be replicated, but I see zero evidence that anyone really is. Creating a 'mesh' of gaming to drive profitability sound more like a desire to reach this wider market driven totally by the desire for profit, as opposed to an actual plan to appeal to a different set of consumers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Love how you are loosely keeping the same artistic thread, will help people immediately identify Amico physical games & give collectors some shelf continuity too :)

1586989276_BiPlanesBoxArt.thumb.jpg.25b01d9dcd6a1bd3fb59188a4362a1e8.jpg431529023_MissileCommandBoxArt.thumb.jpg.2a845133a56e95a530469f2eb29e9488.jpg490385137_MoonPatrolBoxArt.thumb.jpg.9869b365da6c144c81b061cdb2c91b12.jpg

It's all the little things that really make me want this console. Cover art is one of them. Cannot wait until we see the "physical" in Physical media.  Plus the collector stuff that will be packaged inside.

Time for an E3 Prediction: Most, if not all, Physical editions of the games will have soundtracks. It would be amazing if they were CD's. But download codes  are OK as well. Maybe the music could embedded in the physical media itself. Just a thought.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Basically I am just more 'wait & see ' on it.

Same here.  It looks like a intriguing handheld, but the cost and some other aspects have me at 'wait and see', too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, woobman said:

It's all the little things that really make me want this console. Cover art is one of them. Cannot wait until we see the "physical" in Physical media.  Plus the collector stuff that will be packaged inside.

Time for an E3 Prediction: Most, if not all, Physical editions of the games will have soundtracks. It would be amazing if they were CD's. But download codes  are OK as well. Maybe the music could embedded in the physical media itself. Just a thought.

I like the idea of maybe including the sound tracks in physical media - that is one bundle option I often buy on Steam for games I really like.

I just wonder generally if Amico physical media might not vary a lot on what is included? Maybe Telestrations comes with 2 stylus and a lenticular collectible card, while Astrosmash might come with a mini poster & a QR code for the soundtrack, while maybe something like Nitro Derby includes some racing themed controller overlays. So in other words, the consistency is in the box (not totally graphically, maybe different color schemes for retro vs strategy or something but otherwise consistent) but what is inside may vary quite a bit.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, woobman said:

Those are good calls! Yes, the box-art is really a great part of the old games.
People forget, the box-art was always such a big part of the game, because the graphics in our minds-eye, are always best.

The idea of sound-tracks with every game; that's an awesome idea, and would indeed give physical media a unique must-have.

• Like 7

I hope the final rate of millions of units sold between the Amico and the Master System is the same as the difference of quality between the game covers of both consoles.

Wouldn't that be some money printing thing?

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Totally agree, the concept behind the Amico is important and it is a direct pushback from the sometimes toxic and almost always isolating state of current gaming. As a parent, this is the antithesis of what I want in a gaming platform.

The article credits Spencer with say the same thing that Tommy has been saying for years - there are 3 billion gamers but only 200 million ish console gamers. However the article makes it sound like the issue is just getting XBox on their phones. Halo not running on Gran's phone isn't the issue. There is a lot of fancy business speak about creating a "unified gaming ecosystem" and a reference to creating "new connective tissue" of gaming & profitability, but again I don't think accessibility or platform is the issue - it is the philosophy, interface & the games. So for the Amico is the only platform that speaks 100% to these issues, which isn't to say that philosophy & methodology couldn't be replicated, but I see zero evidence that anyone really is. Creating a 'mesh' of gaming to drive profitability sound more like a desire to reach this wider market driven totally by the desire for profit, as opposed to an actual plan to appeal to a different set of consumers.

Wholeheartedly agreed! It's 100% a money opportunity to Microsoft over everything. Which I get, but it doesn't get me excited about Xbox in the slightest. Intellivision has a true mission and a philosophy centered around PEOPLE over just strictly business. THAT has me excited.

• Like 3

Tomorrow I should be catching up on the past week or so of questions, comments, etc.

So if you have any... now is a good time to ask!

In the meantime...

Another classic hand drawn art piece for the box cover of our exclusive Evel Knievel game! It's one of the most fun games that people enjoy and the multiplayer mode is super addicting, fun and uses our motion controls.

It's been a great honor working with the Knievel family on this and of course, the incredible developer Barnstorm Games.

I can't wait to reveal some of the surprises of our physical boxed games that we have planned!

PMBox_EvelKnievel_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.990b298350ef8150a9821376d2ec2995.png
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I can't wait to reveal some of the surprises of our physical boxed games that we have planned!

I can't either Tommy.  Tell/show us now.  Lol.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
Tomorrow I should be catching up on the past week or so of questions, comments, etc.

In the meantime...

Another classic hand drawn art piece for the box cover of our exclusive Evel Knievel game! It's one of the most fun games that people enjoy and the multiplayer mode is super addicting, fun and uses our motion controls.

It's been a great honor working with the Knievel family on this and of course, the incredible developer Barnstorm Games.

PMBox_EvelKnievel_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.990b298350ef8150a9821376d2ec2995.png

I need it all now !!!!!! 😜

• Like 4

In the meantime...

The person/people you got doing the cover art are doing a great job of capturing the essence of the games (and in this case the character). If anyone doesn't think this is great box art - here is an real counter example: I guess the Nintendo Seal of Quality didn't extend to cover art. ;) Also I didn't realize Mega Man was a middle age guy with a spine condition & a terrible sense of fashion, blowing up stuff in a pastel tropical city designed by a 5 year old. 😱 🤣

196708045_BadCoverArt.thumb.jpg.9b4b94945b03f93d04d9562e8584a27f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, justclaws said:

Those are good calls! Yes, the box-art is really a great part of the old games.
People forget, the box-art was always such a big part of the game, because the graphics in our minds-eye, are always best.

The idea of sound-tracks with every game; that's an awesome idea, and would indeed give physical media a unique must-have.

So true.  How many times we bought games based on how cool the box art looked, thinking how great the game would look...and got hosed.  Lol. 

• Haha 6

In the meantime...

Wow!  This is great!  So cool to see a childhood hero come "back to life" again.  

Whoever is doing your artwork is really getting it!  They're a true blast from the past!  Jerrol Richardson would be very impressed as well. Thanks for making this console a true trip down some of the best memories of our lives.  

Can't wait to own some of these boxes!

BTW... Isles smoked the Bruins....😁

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

In the meantime...

Love the cover artwork so far as well.

How many additional levels will your version of Evel Knievel include? Just the skycycle location or also more jump locations for single player mode? Can you post a screenshot highlighting some of the visual improvements you added?

I must say I wasn't superexcited about this game at first hand, but the multiplayer alone seems to be big fun. 🙂

Will all digital counterparts of the physical releases also have the same price? Are they all in the 9.99 segment, as you said rigid force will come out at that price if I remember correctly?

Could there be one or two total surprise launch titles (in addition to the 6th packed-in game) that you do not tell us anything about until you reveal all the launch title close to release?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Another good one Tommy.

You failed to respond with a YouTube video.  When you want something from your wife, do you send her a YouTube video? :P

Wife: "Hubby, can you get something from the garage?"

IM: "Makes YouTube video to tell wife he has no time to go to the garage, because he is making a video."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3