Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


So I guess you're saying that Nintendo don't know what they're doing either??  Have they always had online multiplayer from day one?  Did Sony?  Hmmm.... 

 

Again, Switch had online multiplayer at launch, so did PS4 and XBO.   Are you using the standards of their past pre online systems to excuse Amico for not having online play?  The standards have changed. If you are seriously trying to capture the mainstream then online multiplayer should have been a priority. Its incredibly important to teens and kids these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

No, I bought a Wii at launch because of Zelda and to try out Wii Sports. The Wii was the right product at the right time.  It offered casuals something that no other platform holder was offering.  

In 2019 that same casual market has moved on to mobile devices and seem quite happy with them.  

Of course I played those casual games you speak of.  Thats the point, the casual market has their fix already.


Once again... because YOU bought a Wii for Zelda you think the rest of the world must be just like you!  I got news for ya... Wii Sports was a LOT more popular and sold a LOT more machines then Zelda ever did.

You think people are happy with the mobile market and all the in-app purchases, ads, data breaches, etc.?  Hmm??  You must have different data then what the biggest reports and the rest of the world has.  Please... do share.  :)

No you didn't.  You didn't play any of those games frequently and you know it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I do wish you luck though. I'd love to be proven wrong and see this be a huge hit for you and your team. I don't at all want you to fail, just throwing out my concerns that is all.


You certainly have an odd way of showing it... but thank-you for your concerns and I do look forward to proving you wrong....  some more.

:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommy Tallarico said:


Once again... because YOU bought a Wii for Zelda you think the rest of the world must be just like you!  I got news for ya... Wii Sports was a LOT more popular and sold a LOT more machines then Zelda ever did.

You think people are happy with the mobile market and all the in-app purchases, ads, data breaches, etc.?  Hmm??  You must have different data then what the biggest reports and the rest of the world has.  Please... do share.  :)

No you didn't.  You didn't play any of those games frequently and you know it. 

 

Yes Wii Sports did sell a crap ton of machines, but guess what nobody cares about the Wii anymore outside the modding community.  

The mobile market isn't declining last time I checked.  

Frequently no, but I did play them and I think Minecraft is a fantastic game for the kids.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


Me too!  It was one of my favorites growing up so you'll know it will get the extra love and attention it deserves.  :)
 

ya know Tommy you wouldn't believe how many people i know that still remember that game fondly

my family has been in the horse race business our whole life owning horses and my dad was a track announcer here in Chicago for years

and the main reason we even bought an Intellivision was because there was a horse race game on it and i know many other people in the business

who bought an Intellivision just because of that game...even a small niche like horse racing can move quite a few consoles 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

i'm fine with E for everyone games..i mean it's not like i'm looking forward to Tiny Mable flashing her boobs while waiting for Bashful Buford to save her on the Old Mutton building in an updated Beauty & The Beast


CRAP!!  You mean I'm going to have to take that part out of the new game???  DAMN!!!

:D

We are looking into it.  We don't think there will be a problem... especially if we call it... "Intellivision presents Beauty and the Beast by Imagic" or something of the sort.  :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Nintendo Switch did have online multiplayer when it launched.  It was their basic free service before they launched their paid service.  


Meant to say Nintendo Wii. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Sorry, but the majority of people right now who are praising this device are biased INTV fans. You know that super niche market?  They are simply happy a company is aknowledging their love for INTV and making a new console with the INTV name.  They'll take anything they can get at this point.  Of course these people don't care about online play or T rated games because they just want a modern take on their beloved INTV system. I'm not saying that is a bad thing for INTV fans to want a new INTV console, but there aren't enough INTV fans to make this device a huge hit. 



Glad to know that you've received all of the analyst data and focus testing information we've been doing for the past 3 years.  Glad to know that you consider yourself a smarter investor then the top investors in the world.  We should all hire you.  Clearly we're doing it all wrong.  ;)
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tommy Tallarico said:


Meant to say Nintendo Wii. 

Wii did have online at launch but it was clunky especially with those friend codes you had to enter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Again, Switch had online multiplayer at launch, so did PS4 and XBO.   Are you using the standards of their past pre online systems to excuse Amico for not having online play?  The standards have changed. If you are seriously trying to capture the mainstream then online multiplayer should have been a priority. Its incredibly important to teens and kids these days.


No... I think it's incredibly important to you because you have no kids and no friends IRL.

KIDDING!!!   Sorry... someone was going to say it eventually.   ;)

Okay... leaving now.  Gotta get back to work so I can make more cool stuff for you to rag on and tell me how wrong I'm doing it.

:D

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


Me too!  It was one of my favorites growing up so you'll know it will get the extra love and attention it deserves.  :)
 

Same here Tommy Horse Racing and boxing were mine and my dads top games to play my dad always said he loved playing me in boxing because he would always win because little me liked the look of the faint button so I never punched.  Hours racing was always fun with the starting sounds and the crowd cheer at the end hours of play on those games for sure. I introduced my grandma to Intellivision with Horse Racing and she’s super excited to play the new system thanks to that experience and she hasn’t played video games since Tetris on NES

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


No... I think it's incredibly important to you because you have no kids and no friends IRL.

KIDDING!!!   Sorry... someone was going to say it eventually.   ;)

Okay... leaving now.  Gotta get back to work so I can make more cool stuff for you to rag on and tell me how wrong I'm doing it.

:D

 

 

I personally don't do as much online play these days, but doesn't mean I don't realize its importance to the vast majority of gamers.  

When it comes to modern gaming I prefer single player experiences with great gameplay and storytelling.  Red Dead Redemption 2 for example.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

ya know Tommy you wouldn't believe how many people i know that still remember that game fondly

my family has been in the horse race business our whole life owning horses and my dad was a track announcer here in Chicago for years

and the main reason we even bought an Intellivision was because there was a horse race game on it and i know many other people in the business

who bought an Intellivision just because of that game...even a small niche like horse racing can move quite a few consoles 

 


Totally agree with you.  We feel the same.  And there are a lot of those types of games and franchises that people have just flat out ignored or not put in real time, resources or budget.  I'll give you another example...

 

Horseshoes!!

A game every grandparent loves and people our age remind us of being kids and playing with our grandparents, etc.

How fun will a brand new high quality Horseshoes game be with gyro/accel controls?  

Simple, Affordable, Family, Fun!

Hits all 4 of our company pillars.  :)

Wii Bowling was NOT an anomaly.  Lots of non-gaming families have their Wii's still hooked up... 13 years later!  Why?  Because there is no alternative.  No one (including Nintendo) has followed up over the last 2 console cycles. 

We will.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I personally don't do as much online play these days, but doesn't mean I don't realize its importance to the vast majority of gamers.  

When it comes to modern gaming I prefer single player experiences with great gameplay and storytelling.  Red Dead Redemption 2 for example.  


Red Dead 2 - hardcore game (with multiplayer online) that is impossible for anyone but a hardcore gamer to pick up and play.

Candy Crush - no online mulitplayer and 293 MILLION active users PER DAY!

Starting to see my point?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


Totally agree with you.  We feel the same.  And there are a lot of those types of games and franchises that people have just flat out ignored or not put in real time, resources or budget.  I'll give you another example...

 

Horseshoes!!

A game every grandparent loves and people our age remind us of being kids and playing with our grandparents, etc.

How fun will a brand new high quality Horseshoes game be with gyro/accel controls?  

Simple, Affordable, Family, Fun!

Hits all 4 of our company pillars.  :)

Wii Bowling was NOT an anomaly.  Lots of non-gaming families have their Wii's still hooked up... 13 years later!  Why?  Because there is no alternative.  No one (including Nintendo) has followed up over the last 2 console cycles. 

We will.

 

exactly! horseshoes is a great example or maybe even something like Bocce ball 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Sorry, but the majority of people right now who are praising this device are biased INTV fans. You know that super niche market?  They are simply happy a company is aknowledging their love for INTV and making a new console with the INTV name.  They'll take anything they can get at this point.  Of course these people don't care about online play or T rated games because they just want a modern take on their beloved INTV system. I'm not saying that is a bad thing for INTV fans to want a new INTV console, but there aren't enough INTV fans to make this device a huge hit. 

Tommy has already stated this:  There are several hundred million "GAMERS" in the world.  Those that want the PS4, Xbox etc. and love the shooter and epic games with a lot of depth.  That leaves approximately 6 Billion more people in the world, that do not like those types of games.  This is the market Tommy is after.  So E rated games that turn the "GAMERS" off looks to be just right for those that are not "GAMERS".

I play Epic games on my PC, but I do still like to take on a game of Burger Time, because it is casual and I can play for 20 minutes before I go on an appointment or some other reason where time is short.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Sorry, but the majority of people right now who are praising this device are biased INTV fans. You know that super niche market?  They are simply happy a company is aknowledging their love for INTV and making a new console with the INTV name.  They'll take anything they can get at this point.  Of course these people don't care about online play or T rated games because they just want a modern take on their beloved INTV system. I'm not saying that is a bad thing for INTV fans to want a new INTV console, but there aren't enough INTV fans to make this device a huge hit. 

 

For me this isn't true. I have a Intv sure but got it randomly and not because i had fond memories of it. Yeah I had a 2600 but I'm mainly a product of NES and SNES. I would venture to guess I am on the younger side on average (mid 30s) as well.

 

Do I know if this will be a success? No clue but I know I am extremely interested in what the vision for this console is. I think the new Ataribox is a better example of backers taking whatever they can get. Honestly, I am surprised I haven't heard more, "can it play my old carts?" Or, "No legacy cart slot, no buy."

 

Someone asked about raising kids. I have experience with 3 younger siblings, one of which I semi helped raise, have a kid of my own, and work with kids on a daily basis. I have a big family and out of all the systems (Atari 2600 -XboxOne) which systems have provided the most family fun? NES and SNES early on with multiplayer games like Caveman Games, Original Mario Kart, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Goof Troop. Then games like PacMan vs on NGC, and Smash. Then on Wii there was a plethora of games we all play.

 

What about the the Ps2 or XboxOne? Not nearly as much. Even a good game like Rocket League which we can do split screen on two Xboxes? Not so much. And what is funny my mother use to have the Pitfall map memorized, played NES, SNES, and Wii. I couldn't convince her to play any Xbox game if I tried. I turn on the SNES and put in Goof Troop or ZAMN she will play.

 

Don't get me started on what I think games like Fortnite are doing to kids, or them using a cellphone.

 

I am excited to see what more is coming. If it is remotely close to what I hope it is I will probably get one. However, I am not just going to get one because I will take anything at this point. That sounds more like rabbid Sega fans who would just be happy to get a modern Sonic game worthy of a grade higher than D+. 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:


Red Dead 2 - hardcore game (with multiplayer online) that is impossible for anyone but a hardcore gamer to pick up and play.

Candy Crush - no online mulitplayer and 293 MILLION active users PER DAY!

Starting to see my point?

 

I wasn't comparing the two, just simply talking about what I personally play.  

Yeah Candy Crush was/is hugely popular, nobody is arguing that.  

Here's the thing though, people can play Candy Crush games on the convienence of their phones anywhere they go.  

You know what would have probably helped the Amico greatly.  If kids could take those controllers with them outside their homes and play games on those mini screens.  Then that might have been a great alternative than buying a kid a phone.  Unless I'm mistaken and you can indeed play INTV Amico games on the go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Tommy has already stated this:  There are several hundred million "GAMERS" in the world.  Those that want the PS4, Xbox etc. and love the shooter and epic games with a lot of depth.  That leaves approximately 6 Billion more people in the world, that do not like those types of games.  This is the market Tommy is after.  So E rated games that turn the "GAMERS" off looks to be just right for those that are not "GAMERS".

I play Epic games on my PC, but I do still like to take on a game of Burger Time, because it is casual and I can play for 20 minutes before I go on an appointment or some other reason where time is short.

And like I said many times before that market is currently be taken care of with mobile devices.  Nothing caters more towards casuals than tablets and smartphone gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I wasn't comparing the two, just simply talking about what I personally play.  

Yeah Candy Crush was/is hugely popular, nobody is arguing that.  

Here's the thing though, people can play Candy Crush games on the convienence of their phones anywhere they go.  

You know what would have probably helped the Amico greatly.  If kids could take those controllers with them outside their homes and play games on those mini screens.  Then that might have been a great alternative than buying a kid a phone.  Unless I'm mistaken and you can indeed play INTV Amico games on the go.

I have been wondering if this was going to be a thing for some of the legacy games. It would be very interesting if they had some basic memory in them. Also remember I think they are working on connecting your phones to the system. So with an app on your phone it could maybe be possible????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrBeefy said:

I have been wondering if this was going to be a thing for some of the legacy games. It would be very interesting if they had some basic memory in them. Also remember I think they are working on connecting your phones to the system. So with an app on your phone it could maybe be possible????

Yeah I have no idea what hardware are in those controllers, but if I were making that Amico console those controllers would have enough power to handle those 2D games on the go.  Plenty of low power SoCs that could handle the kind of games Tommy wants to see on the Amico system, just at lower resolutions obviously to match the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Yeah I have no idea what hardware are in those controllers, but if I were making that Amico console those controllers would have enough power to handle those 2D games on the go.  Plenty of low power SoCs that could handle the kind of games Tommy wants to see on the Amico system, just at lower resolutions obviously to match the screen.

Well and I don't think we've heard everything about them yet. It wouldn't require much memory for the legacy stuff. The only hard part is that the old Intv games had an overlay which might make that harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We keep a Dreamcast setup at my parents house. The games that get the most play are actually the Neo Geo emulation games (horse racing, King of Monsters, Neo Mr. Do!, Top Hunter) and native titles like Bomberman, Rush Rush Rally Racing, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi. All non-violent and attractive to the “non-gamer” like parents and grandparents and also it’s OK to play them in front of 7-year-olds. Just an example of the kind of niche you could grab.

 

 

I think that marketing strongly will be the key to reaching those “non gamer” masses, however. For example, if you have a track-and-field game and advertise in the right places like the Olympics you might reach a lot of people that don’t consider themselves “gamers” but you will get the attention of the masses you want. If you advertise a track-and-field game with Pewdipie’s YouTube channel I doubt you will gain a thing. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

And like I said many times before that market is currently be taken care of with mobile devices.  Nothing caters more towards casuals than tablets and smartphone gaming.

Did I play Intellivision as a kid yes but I would be excited for the machine no matter the name because the game style I miss most is couch gaming which outside of sports games has been difficult to find on PlayStation and Xbox and frankly Nintendo 64 controllers were too complicated for my limited coordination due to disability.

 

That being said is the casual market playing on tablet and cellphone yes they are but Intellivision has the idea that Intellivision can get into that market well they get everyone from the market of course not. However mobile /tablet gaming has its own issues. Not really good for playing together with friends in the same room.  As much as the internet has brought us, in some ways it has also affected us negatively by making us less social and isolated to an extent. So Intellivision hopes to use technology to bring family and friends back together.  Another way Intellivision is improving on Mobile gaming no in app purchases or dlc that is a huge plus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Sorry, but the majority of people right now who are praising this device are biased INTV fans. You know that super niche market?  They are simply happy a company is aknowledging their love for INTV and making a new console with the INTV name.  They'll take anything they can get at this point.  Of course these people don't care about online play or T rated games because they just want a modern take on their beloved INTV system. I'm not saying that is a bad thing for INTV fans to want a new INTV console, but there aren't enough INTV fans to make this device a huge hit. 

From a unbias position I'm kind of in your corner as far as you being allowed to share your opinion. It's only when we give some weight to unpopular opinions that we really grow.  But man, please don't think for a second you know what goes on with my head.  My appreciation for what is attempted here is because, and it's been said many times, there's a vision and an effort to bring something different.  IT's not about bringing back the intellivision of old.  So please, don't speak for me and since you are starting to sound like a broken record, please come back in spring when you can judge from facts on gameplay videos, etc.

 

Jeez...

Edited by Loafer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   2 members

×
×
  • Create New...