Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Relicgamer said:

1 FE

1 galaxy purple 

1 Gto red 

1 EWJ4 4 

= 8 controllers lol

And no one needs any video games lol 

They want them. 

I do have my eye on that galaxy purple one.  So maybe I "want" one more....

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comment I'm most puzzled by that I keep seeing is "I don't like the look of that game or that game is not for me" as if every single game should appeal to you. Can anyone name a system they own that they like every single game that's been made for that system? I consider myself to be a fairly big Intellivision fan and I certainly don't love every game on the system. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure I'll like Astrosmash, Nightstalker, Cloudy Mountain, Skiing, Baseball, Fox, and a handful of other ones at a minimum. For me that's enough to buy the console. My 2 cents. 

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "my children like Fortnite and would never play Amico" logic is getting out of hand.

 

We're talking about 5-7 year old kids, for Satan's sake.

 

I didn't even play video games until 9 and some experts suggest that kids should keep playing with toys until that age.

 

I don't have children and I don't plan to have, but your 5 year old kid plays what you want them to play. Period.

 

If your kids are playing 3D first person shooters with microtansactions at 5 years old, yes: this console is not for you when it comes to games to play with kids. And perhaps you have bigger problems than the Amico, too.

 

Not so difficult to understand, folks.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, flickertail said:

It was better than having to watch Lawrence Welk

I remember once visiting my grandmother as a kid and she had Lawrence Welk on the tube. I thought there had to be something better on the other three channels she got.

 

Now? While I’d never search the show out, if I ran across it while channel surfing, I’d stop for a while. 

 

So I hope, somewhere on the future game list after Treasure of Tarmin, there’ll be a Lawrence Welk Teaches Music edutainment title. Each physical copy of the game will come with bubble solution and an Amico-shaped bubble wand.

 

And just for a nostalgia blast for those of you old enough...

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol9_0schMHs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter plays Fortnite. She also plays Minecraft. She casually plays PS4 games and plays a ton of mobile games. So is she a target market for Amico? Absolutely.  Why? Because Amico isn't meant to be the sole console for people like her. For those types of people, for people like myself, Amico isn't meant to replace the PS4, but to be a companion to it. 

 

I say this because while I enjoy playing video games, and while my daughter enjoys playing video games, when friends are over, we're not busting out the PS4 to play a game. When the grandparents come over, we don't fire up Fortnite to play a fun game together. That's when we always turn the Wii on. That (almost) 14 year old machine that still sits under the TV because it has games that play in such a way that everyone understands them. Games like Just Dance, Wii Sports, and Mario Kart are easily played by people of all skill levels. They are games my wife will play with us.

 

For some, Amico might be the only video game console they own. For others, it might be their 3rd. I don't think that looking at Amico as "the only console I'll ever own" is not going to be the case for most people in this forum. It won't be the only console you'll play. It has its place for very specific times when the other ones just don't provide you with what you need. Just because you like playing Fortnite, doesn't mean you don't also enjoy playing match three games on your phone. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmart604 said:

The comment I'm most puzzled by that I keep seeing is "I don't like the look of that game or that game is not for me" as if every single game should appeal to you. Can anyone name a system they own that they like every single game that's been made for that system? I consider myself to be a fairly big Intellivision fan and I certainly don't love every game on the system. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure I'll like Astrosmash, Nightstalker, Cloudy Mountain, Skiing, Baseball, Fox, and a handful of other ones at a minimum. For me that's enough to buy the console. My 2 cents. 

Firstly, I agree with this post 100%. That said.... to the members of this distinguished forum, how did nobody mention the Coleco Telstar as a counter-point? If you loved PONG, it's got you covered!

 

Seriously, on an Amico note: does anyone else really, like REALLY want to see a fishing game in action? Imagine casting with the controller, sort of like a Wiimote, using the dial to reel in. I'm sure there's a bunch of other little details that could be implemented here, it's just an idea that's been bounding about in my head recently.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flickertail said:

I really want to see all-age family games.

 

Games like Minecraft, Just Dance, Mario Party, and Mario Kart... don't require cutting edge systems and you can play them while sitting on the couch without internet.

Yes, there is already a game system with all those games you mention, but it doesn’t mean there is no other/new games that could become popular, especially for the target audience they are aiming for. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GrumpyOl'Guy said:

 

Seriously, on an Amico note: does anyone else really, like REALLY want to see a fishing game in action? Imagine casting with the controller, sort of like a Wiimote, using the dial to reel in. I'm sure there's a bunch of other little details that could be implemented here, it's just an idea that's been bounding about in my head recently.

Yes, the “casting” with the controller is a given, but imagine what could be done using also the force feedback, speaker, touchscreen etc, I really hope they get a nice fishing game out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vongruetz said:

My daughter plays Fortnite. She also plays Minecraft. She casually plays PS4 games and plays a ton of mobile games. So is she a target market for Amico? Absolutely.  Why? Because Amico isn't meant to be the sole console for people like her. For those types of people, for people like myself, Amico isn't meant to replace the PS4, but to be a companion to it. 

 

I say this because while I enjoy playing video games, and while my daughter enjoys playing video games, when friends are over, we're not busting out the PS4 to play a game. When the grandparents come over, we don't fire up Fortnite to play a fun game together. That's when we always turn the Wii on. That (almost) 14 year old machine that still sits under the TV because it has games that play in such a way that everyone understands them. Games like Just Dance, Wii Sports, and Mario Kart are easily played by people of all skill levels. They are games my wife will play with us.

 

For some, Amico might be the only video game console they own. For others, it might be their 3rd. I don't think that looking at Amico as "the only console I'll ever own" is not going to be the case for most people in this forum. It won't be the only console you'll play. It has its place for very specific times when the other ones just don't provide you with what you need. Just because you like playing Fortnite, doesn't mean you don't also enjoy playing match three games on your phone. 

Yeah, we're slouching back into the anecdotal, "my experience and opinion is the same as everyone's" comments. The Intellivision Entertainment's "50 million dollars and hundreds of employees on-the-line risk research and staff experience" is meaningless comments. We value people's personal view but trying to generalize it beyond that with no real qualification for doing that is not realistic. Also, nobody is saying how old these kids are that would prefer fornite to Amico games and hypothetically never play them or how they know the "Karen's" market (kind of over-generalizing there*) is imaginary.

 

*not to mention cliche

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow it is hilarious how it is the same old, same old. Some people think they got an opening because of the delay and are hoping beyond hope that people are beat down and about to bolt. So here comes the "What about the *DELAY*" posts. Then the never been in the industry video game 'experts' chime in with it is the same "those game already exist on other platforms", "kids now-a-days play Fortnite in the womb" and "it will only sell to a bunch of old guys" (it was nobody before that, but then it sold to a bunch of old guys so the goal post moved). All while assuring you that they just want the system to succeed. And Yarzzz trying to subtle troll by marking laughs or confused on any pro-Amico post (or they are the most confused human ever, or don't understand how the reaction system works - one or more of the three).

 

Anyway I am just enjoying my weekend, just cleaned up my entertainment center where one of my Amicos will go and having a great time laughing my ass off at the transparency of people with nothing better to do with their lives. Thanks for the unintentional entertainment! 😀

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, nightmonkeyii said:

A small run of limited edition hotwheels cars, that don't contain the game, but instead can be added to the garage that cannot be acquired any other way. These would be pretty special cars.

this would be a great way of getting kids to buy a amico, knowing it works in the game, like a amiibo. I dont think this crosses the line of micro transactions.

Yeah that's what I'm saying... Limited run can be pricey, but a great way to deliver exclusive and rare collections.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

And Yarzzz trying to subtle troll by marking laughs or confused on any pro-Amico post (or they are the most confused human ever, or don't understand how the reaction system works - one or more of the three).

Yes I’ve noticed Yarzzz clicking on those reactions too throughout this thread! They clicked “confused” on one of my posts when I said Intellivision was focusing on families. And that was literally all I said. I mean, what is so confusing about that?  So I sent a PM and asked what was confusing about my post, and never got a response. Typical! So I think not only are they trolling, but they are truly clueless and don’t know how the reaction system works as well. So it’s a combination of all 3 I think. Unbelievable. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I'm obsessed with trying to beat Moon Patrol demo on my crappy cell phone. The graphics, physics, sound, detail, and replay value is insane. Anyone beat it yet? The farthest I get to is the wide jump after the massive mine field in checkpoint Y.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yes I’ve noticed Yarzzz clicking on those reactions too throughout this thread! They clicked “confused” on one of my posts when I said Intellivision was focusing on families. And that was literally all I said. I mean, what is so confusing about that?  So I sent a PM and asked what was confusing about my post, and never got a response. Typical! So I think not only are they trolling, but they are truly clueless and don’t know how the reaction system works as well. So it’s a combination of all 3 I think. Unbelievable. 

maybe they're just confused who the system is for because one person was saying it was for people over 50 and other people are saying it's for kids it is pretty confusing. That's probably why they're reacting confused.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juice said:

maybe they're just confused who the system is for because one person was saying it was for people over 50 and other people are saying it's for kids it is pretty confusing. That's probably why they're reacting confused.

So is Yarzzz Pat and Juice Ian?? Haha now I'm the troll. 

 

But seriously the system is aimed at family and friends playing together. That includes people young and old. Pretty basic concept and not really confusing. The over-50 fun poking is just to tease the crowd who are initially interested in the system as it is the first new system in 30+ years on the Intellivision brand they grew up with 30+ years ago (people now between the current ages of 40-60 it seems). Don't let the trolls muddy the water.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Juice said:

maybe they're just confused who the system is for because one person was saying it was for people over 50 and other people are saying it's for kids it is pretty confusing. That's probably why they're reacting confused.

Then they’re using the reaction system all wrong. I simply stated a fact that they are focusing on families. If they are confused about that, then that’s their problem. All they have to do is click on the home page of IE and read about it. It’s that easy. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, martianman2012 said:

So is Yarzzz Pat and Juice Ian?? Haha now I'm the troll. 

 

But seriously the system is aimed at family and friends playing together. That includes people young and old. Pretty basic concept and not really confusing. The over-50 fun poking is just to tease the crowd who are initially interested in the system as it is the first new system in 30+ years on the Intellivision brand they grew up with 30+ years ago (people now between the current ages of 40-60 it seems). Don't let the trolls muddy the water.

Exactly. Very basic and not confusing whatsoever. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite game was Moon Patrol. I loved the graphics for it. I also loved the User Interface with the Amico robot. I don't care for 16-bit pixel art, it looks like needle stitch, so I'm fine without it and like the TOTALLY NEW Finnigan Fox game compared to the Fox and Forests one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite game was Moon Patrol. I loved the graphics for it. I also loved the User Interface with the Amico robot and like the look of the TOTALLY NEW Finnigan Fox game compared to the Fox and Forests one. I don't really care for 16-bit graphics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martianman2012 said:

So is Yarzzz Pat and Juice Ian?? Haha now I'm the troll. 

 

But seriously the system is aimed at family and friends playing together. That includes people young and old. Pretty basic concept and not really confusing. The over-50 fun poking is just to tease the crowd who are initially interested in the system as it is the first new system in 30+ years on the Intellivision brand they grew up with 30+ years ago (people now between the current ages of 40-60 it seems). Don't let the trolls muddy the water.

Is it so hard for people to understand it can be popular with different demographics?  Some gamers have no imagination. They just want to see what they've seen before or they crap themselves.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flickertail said:

As far as my posts go, the "maybe this system is not for you" comment was made by someone to one of my previous posts where I said that I didn't see any Amico games of the type - family games - that would draw my kids' attention away from other game playing options that my kids already like. Maybe it was said about other people's posts as well.

 

I felt that the comment "maybe this system is not for you" was really saying to me "shut up, if you are not going to say only positive things about Amico, you're not welcome here".

 

I've pre-ordered an Amico. I want it to be successful. And I hope Amico will have the all-ages family game playing experience that Tommy talks about. I really want to see all-age family games.

 

Games like Minecraft, Just Dance, Mario Party, and Mario Kart... don't require cutting edge systems and you can play them while sitting on the couch without internet. I mentioned Fortnite in a previous post, and that maybe requires a bit more power, but the truth is... if you're competing for kids attention through fun coop play, Amico will have to compete with titles like Fortnite.

 

I realize that a lot of very hard work goes into making video games. Even the most basic of video games takes people with real artistic skill to make the graphics, real audio and composing skills to make the music and sound effects, real coding skills to deliver a non-buggy smooth playing experience, and real creativity to design an engaging play experience.

 

I have tried this myself and failed on a scale and debt level that I won't describe here, so my criticism isn't of the effort behind the games shown so far or the performance of Amico hardware.

 

My point is, people can't bury their heads in the sand and pretend the games shown so far are going to capture the attention of families when they have other family-friendly options, not only video game options, but those including physical board games and card games as well.

 

Sales to console-less families headed by Karens, and well-meaning grandparents is a fictional market. And relying on nostalgia will only go so far.

 

Back in the day my grandpa bought us a 5200 to play when we visited his house, AFTER the NES had been released. We appreciated him thinking of us, and we thought he was cool for having the idea. It was better than having to watch Lawrence Welk, but it wasn't like what we were used to playing. And he never really invested a lot in it. It only ever had 3 games... Pacman, Popeye, and Joust.

 

Don't count on the Karen/grandparent market to drive sales.

 

Getting nostalgic 50yo guys like me to buy an Amico will be no problem. Getting guys like me to spend money on classic Inty games and Earthworm Jim for play on Amico, will be no problem.

 

Getting the rest of my family to sit on the couch and play Amico on the regular when there are other family-friendly options will be difficult, unless there are game titles that my kids want to play. These games don't have to be cutting edge, they just need gameplay that can compete with the other options that my kids care about.

Well ask yourself this.

What does these things have in common?

Analog nt, sg, super nt, pocket,  arcade1up,  and the pong coffee table?

Ues there is a pong coffee  table and its $3500.00

Compare the cost of these different things and ask if retro sells or doesnt? 

Ask yourself if they rely on young gamers or nostalgic old gamers?

Now ask yourself what is the most successful tv and the movies depicting a specific generation? And what generation is hyped up the most for it, 50+year olds or the younger generation?  

I think if you do the research you will be surprised what you learn.  

There is something today that is missing and many long for that time even if thats a time they didn't live through. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Loafer said:

I am all for positivity and if the answer to everyone’s concerns are “maybe this system is not for you”, then that’s not a good response.  But let’s be clear here, if a dude or dudette only plays FPS games and has no love for any other genre, then ... maybe the system ISN’T for them.  It’s not wrong to say so.

I agree, nothing wrong is letting people know this may not be the game console they may be interested in. This system will not be doing violent adult games, its not doing online games, its not doing open world 3-d games, so for some hard core gamers this isnt a system that is tailored for them, nothing wrong letting people know that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Swami said:

Is it so hard for people to understand it can be popular with different demographics?  Some gamers have no imagination. They just want to see what they've seen before or they crap themselves.

Some of us are non gamers though. I'll give my honest opinion. That moon patrol game made me quit right away because I couldn't get anywhere. I think you guys may be right as a non gamer this system probably isn't for me. My wife tried the moon patrol game too and she couldn't play it. my suggestion for the amico is that it doesn't have invisible buttons on the screen like the mobile Moon patrol it's pretty confusing and hard to get used to. And yes you may be thinking I'm stupid or an idiot but hey I'm a non-gamer lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok heres one for everyone, including Tommy seeing he has some knowledge on gaming. And maybe there is a name that describes it already. 

We hear the term hardcore gamer all the time. But when I hear that its usually describing people that play modern games either on xbox 1 ps4 and pc, often online gaming. If I'm wrong correct me. 

And when we hear about people into retro games its often thought of people 50+ years old and are called boomers by younger gamers. Even have casual gamers and hyper casual gamers 

This brings me to the world of perfomance cars like Lamborghinis Porsches and Ferrari's and are called supercars. And the koenigsegg Bugattis and ect are known as hypercars. 

So what do you call someone thats into retro games like arcades pinball up to all current games? Basically no game left behind kind of person. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Juice said:

Some of us are non gamers though. I'll give my honest opinion. That moon patrol game made me quit right away because I couldn't get anywhere. I think you guys may be right as a non gamer this system probably isn't for me. My wife tried the moon patrol game too and she couldn't play it. my suggestion for the amico is that it doesn't have invisible buttons on the screen like the mobile Moon patrol it's pretty confusing and hard to get used to. And yes you may be thinking I'm stupid or an idiot but hey I'm a non-gamer lol.

A non-gamer that visits a retro gaming site regularly?  That’s an interesting one. Lol. But seriously, are you saying you are a non-gamer because you haven’t played any of the newer systems and you stick with the retro ones, or do you not play games at all?  If you don’t play any games, I am curious as to why you are on this site then? Honestly wondering, not meant negatively. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...