Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Intellivision Amico - Tommy Tallarico introduction + Q&A

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MonsterSky said:

Now that I saw I can buy Amico Glacier White on Amazon.it (https://www.amazon.it/dp/B089M6P1DJ/?coliid=I15XDDCOIQ6A1X&colid=AHIVW9QOYHTY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) I think that I'll keep my VIP and FE console in my collection and we'll play with the glacier one. :)

 

Since you mentioned it was on Amazon.it I did a bit of checking and it is available on these Amazon stores in Europe/UK so far (nothing on amazon.fr or amazon.nl yet)

Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B089M6P1DJ
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089M6P1DJ
Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B089M6P1DJ
Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B089M6P1DJ

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

 

Since you mentioned it was on Amazon.it I did a bit of checking and it is available on these Amazon stores in Europe/UK so far (nothing on amazon.fr or amazon.nl yet)

Germany: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B089M6P1DJ
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089M6P1DJ
Spain: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B089M6P1DJ
Italy: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B089M6P1DJ

 

That seems to be the countries they launch it first. First they only said Germany, UK and Italy... But inside the european union (not uk anymore) you can order with your SEPA bank account from your local amazon account. Im from germany and we have no Konamo Coregfx Mini here on Amazon (only the controllers ggg) but that one is avaible in Italy and France so I ordered mine from France with my SEPA Bank Account. For UK you need a credit card.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy how do you feel about a type of game of surviving a disaster. To get a idea of what I'm talking about look up disaster report from Irem yup same Irem that did moon patrol.  It was available on ps2. Its based on a reporter going to a floating city when a earth quake causes the city to start sinking and buildings falling.  Its alot about solving problems to get further. When it came out it to me was amazing approach to story telling.  It did have parts where people are trying to kill you with guns but you are having to hide and run from the threat. They did do a sequel but didnt seem as good. I know this console is 2d 2.5d and thats fine I just love this type of game style. What would be cool is if it had 2 to 4 players working together to survive a disaster.  Anyway maybe you can tap into the Irem crew. 

Edited by Relicgamer
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like promoting reasonable voices.  A ton.  Please show this new channel some love.. covers a range of new and vintage gaming coverage.  Thoughtful input on Amico, for its success and skepticism.  Check him out.

 

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RetroAdvisoryBoard said:

I like promoting reasonable voices.  A ton.  Please show this new channel some love.. covers a range of new and vintage gaming coverage.  Thoughtful input on Amico, for its success and skepticism.  Check him out.

 

 

It’s really nice to see someone cover Intellivision with balanced coverage he may have concerns and questions but it’s not driven by any kind of bias 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

Been enjoying watching  Anthium TwoTales try to beat the Moon Patrol challenge:

 

 

 

 

Very nice! Keep it up. The last jump in the Y checkpoint Y is brutal.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MonsterSky said:

Now that I saw I can buy Amico Glacier White on Amazon.it (https://www.amazon.it/dp/B089M6P1DJ/?coliid=I15XDDCOIQ6A1X&colid=AHIVW9QOYHTY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) I think that I'll keep my VIP and FE console in my collection and we'll play with the glacier one. :)

Aww, shoot! I need to add Italy to the testing list!  😂

 

(I'm kidding!)

  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Relicgamer said:

Tommy how do you feel about a type of game of surviving a disaster. To get a idea of what I'm talking about look up disaster report from Irem yup same Irem that did moon patrol.  It was available on ps2. Its based on a reporter going to a floating city when a earth quake causes the city to start sinking and buildings falling.  Its alot about solving problems to get further. When it came out it to me was amazing approach to story telling.  It did have parts where people are trying to kill you with guns but you are having to hide and run from the threat. They did do a sequel but didnt seem as good. I know this console is 2d 2.5d and thats fine I just love this type of game style. What would be cool is if it had 2 to 4 players working together to survive a disaster.  Anyway maybe you can tap into the Irem crew. 

I think we're already playing this game. It's called, "Survive 2020".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said on the "What game would you make if you were a game designer?" topic, the only reason for me to buy a PS5 or PS6 or PS7 would be if there was some sort of ultra-realistic simulation of things like exploring a natural environment (without missions) or the actual moment of a natural disaster/terrorist attack (i. e. a buliding collapsing and you're inside) that you can customize to try to escape.

 

Instead, escape-the-disaster games are usually pretty mediocre versions of Resident Evil replacing the zombies with earthquakes.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

As I said on the "What game would you make if you were a game designer?" topic, the only reason for me to buy a PS5 or PS6 or PS7 would be if there was some sort of ultra-realistic simulation of things like exploring a natural environment (without missions) or the actual moment of a natural disaster/terrorist attack (i. e. a buliding collapsing and you're inside) that you can customize to try to escape.

 

Instead, escape-the-disaster games are usually pretty mediocre versions of Resident Evil replacing the zombies with earthquakes.

No spoilers, but Arma 2 Eagle Wing. Yeah. Didn't see that coming...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, Juice said:

"If you don't like the system maybe it's not for you" that's a terrible argument I constantly see. sometimes people don't just speak for themselves but speak for what they find others May think, that's like saying hey if you say something positive maybe it's for you but other people won't feel that way. it's also dangerous saying stuff like that cuz what if you're talking to like a big retailer or someone who promotes family products? I just think that's a phrase that needs to be dropped. I think it's actually a very negative thing to say and I thought we were supposed to be about positivity? Amico could be great but I think we need to stop alienating potential customers. I have a lot of negative things to say about some of my favourite products. Constructive criticism is valuable.

Respectfully disagree. Fact is the system will not be for some folks and arguing that fact (and not respecting those opinions) may come off even worse. If someone comes across as not sure, there is both an opining to try and educate and inform them on the system and the ability to influence their opinion; however for those that comes across closed minded or as 100% sure they won’t like it, why waste time (both yours an theirs)?  I like the statement that the system may not be for them. Its short, factual, respectful and acknowledges there is potential for them to still change their mind once they actually play the system and games. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RetroAdvisoryBoard said:

I like promoting reasonable voices.  A ton.  Please show this new channel some love.. covers a range of new and vintage gaming coverage.  Thoughtful input on Amico, for its success and skepticism.  Check him out.

 

 

I like it. I get his criticisms. We can agree to disagree on some of the Amico points. But at least he's fair. Just because it's not for you, that doesn't mean that it's a "bad" system. Will watch a few more from him.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Starpaddler said:

Respectfully disagree. Fact is the system will not be for some folks and arguing that fact (and not respecting those opinions) may come off even worse. If someone comes across as not sure, there is both an opining to try and educate and inform them on the system and the ability to influence their opinion; however for those that comes across closed minded or as 100% sure they won’t like it, why waste time (both yours an theirs)?  I like the statement that the system may not be for them. Its short, factual, respectful and acknowledges there is potential for them to still change their mind once they actually play the system and games. 

The thing is, the system might not be for "you" but it doesn't mean they're not a potential customer for Amico. I still don't see Amico as the stand alone system for most people who like to game, but it does have a place for a lot of people who may not even realize it.

 

For example, if I'm playing a video game by myself, I have a dozen different options before me. PS4, PS3, Intellivision, Genesis, phone, etc. If I'm just looking to kill time by myself, I am not short on places to play.

 

If we change that to me and my daughter, then things narrow drastically. We have some PS4 games, the Wii or the Switch. If it's just me and my wife, it's the original Intellivision and sometimes the Wii.

 

If it's all three of us, it's only the Wii. Change that to include the grandparents and it basically becomes Wii Bowling or card/dice games. I think that Amico is being specifically designed for those extra equations. Yes, you alone may not sit around playing Bomb Squad, but when you throw in a few more people, suddenly Amico looks very enticing.  

 

One more thing that has me excited is the Karma engine. Yes, the Wii is fun for most everyone, but the games will never be balanced. I will always win at Mario Kart. My daughter will always win at Just Dance. My wife will play just to have fun, but really has no hope in beating either of us. If the Karma engine works as it's portrayed, then suddenly you'll be able to have everyone playing on a more balanced field.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vongruetz said:

The thing is, the system might not be for "you" but it doesn't mean they're not a potential customer for Amico. I still don't see Amico as the stand alone system for most people who like to game, but it does have a place for a lot of people who may not even realize it.

 

For example, if I'm playing a video game by myself, I have a dozen different options before me. PS4, PS3, Intellivision, Genesis, phone, etc. If I'm just looking to kill time by myself, I am not short on places to play.

 

If we change that to me and my daughter, then things narrow drastically. We have some PS4 games, the Wii or the Switch. If it's just me and my wife, it's the original Intellivision and sometimes the Wii.

 

If it's all three of us, it's only the Wii. Change that to include the grandparents and it basically becomes Wii Bowling or card/dice games. I think that Amico is being specifically designed for those extra equations. Yes, you alone may not sit around playing Bomb Squad, but when you throw in a few more people, suddenly Amico looks very enticing.  

 

One more thing that has me excited is the Karma engine. Yes, the Wii is fun for most everyone, but the games will never be balanced. I will always win at Mario Kart. My daughter will always win at Just Dance. My wife will play just to have fun, but really has no hope in beating either of us. If the Karma engine works as it's portrayed, then suddenly you'll be able to have everyone playing on a more balanced field.

Bomb squad can be the new wii sports or mario party. @Tommy Tallarico bomb squad should be the 7th or 8th pack in

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, vongruetz said:

The thing is, the system might not be for "you" but it doesn't mean they're not a potential customer for Amico. I still don't see Amico as the stand alone system for most people who like to game, but it does have a place for a lot of people who may not even realize it.

 

For example, if I'm playing a video game by myself, I have a dozen different options before me. PS4, PS3, Intellivision, Genesis, phone, etc. If I'm just looking to kill time by myself, I am not short on places to play.

 

If we change that to me and my daughter, then things narrow drastically. We have some PS4 games, the Wii or the Switch. If it's just me and my wife, it's the original Intellivision and sometimes the Wii.

 

If it's all three of us, it's only the Wii. Change that to include the grandparents and it basically becomes Wii Bowling or card/dice games. I think that Amico is being specifically designed for those extra equations. Yes, you alone may not sit around playing Bomb Squad, but when you throw in a few more people, suddenly Amico looks very enticing.  

 

One more thing that has me excited is the Karma engine. Yes, the Wii is fun for most everyone, but the games will never be balanced. I will always win at Mario Kart. My daughter will always win at Just Dance. My wife will play just to have fun, but really has no hope in beating either of us. If the Karma engine works as it's portrayed, then suddenly you'll be able to have everyone playing on a more balanced field.

Fully agree, great post, I think this is what many people get confused with, that from a pure single player gaming perspective, the amico would have very tough competition (price/value), but when you look from a 3-4 player gaming, the Amico offer really stands out, and if you ad very different skill level and gaming experience between players, I would say it makes the Amico compleatly unique. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 9:39 AM, Starpaddler said:
On 8/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, bigdaddygamestudio said:

 

Cartoon art style is cool, but the art style should fit the game. Art style for the games on the system should be as varied as the library. If there is a similar art style for 80% of the games, Amico may alienate (maybe not the right word) a portion of their intended demographic.  Taking Astrosmash as an example, looks highly stylized and may appeal to different folks if it was a simpler style. 

Have been traveling and not much time these days to get here too often or leave posts, and as such also running little farther behind then usual.

 

To expand on the above, if there are some simple setting that can be added to games as to make them appealing to a larger audience, that would have to considered be a major positive (there are negatives too). The fore mentioned option in the card game to have a second more mature skin is just one example.  
 

Another could be slders in Astrosmash that let the player select the size of the asteroids and a second for the size of the turrets. This allows the user to set things to their preference and also add variations to the game play. Want to bump up the asteroid size and appreciate the graphics, easy; want to balance graphics and scale, just slide the sliders and view the setting impact on the live preview screen;  want a vast play area with a lot of real estate, slide it all the way to the left. A second slider could adjust the size (and therefore the speed) of the turrets and bring in additional elements to the game. A third slider could be employed to select the quantity of asteroids. Maybe include an easter egg that if you set all 3 to the correct setting, you get to play the OG game. Of course high scores then becomes an issue, but a note and default button could be added to direct the user to select the IE regulation (default) settings for high scores to be submitted online. 
 

If this paradigm were employed on a large scale IE could call it something like the “vantage” gaming engine. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just really, really wish they would’ve gone for a less “flash” style. Most of the games (with the exception of Skiing, the breakout game, and Nightstalker) just look too much like mobile stuff to me. I HATED what they did to Astrosmash :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, Juice said:

Some of us are non gamers though. I'll give my honest opinion. That moon patrol game made me quit right away because I couldn't get anywhere. I think you guys may be right as a non gamer this system probably isn't for me. My wife tried the moon patrol game too and she couldn't play it. my suggestion for the amico is that it doesn't have invisible buttons on the screen like the mobile Moon patrol it's pretty confusing and hard to get used to. And yes you may be thinking I'm stupid or an idiot but hey I'm a non-gamer lol.

Thank Juice, you just nailed the confirmation that Amico is addressing one of mobiles biggest issues. Moon patrol is basically two buttons with an accelerometer twist, and control wise it doesn’t get much simpler than that for an action game. Amico controllers will not have these control issues.  Watch some of the videos on Amico controller and you will see how many resources IE’s invested to ensure the get them right. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...