Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Tommy, the YouTube culture shenanigans are hurting Amico. Spelling errors in the fox video, the weird deluge of reaction vids instantly, the interviews where you talk about doing things to mess with haters, I’m sorry man but I’m out.

I love the idea of the system, I appreciated your willingness to engage the community but now there’s just two echo chambers at war and it’s not a good look. It leaves a segment of would be buyers with a bad taste in their mouths.

The world is a bad enough place and life is challenging enough that we don’t need this eternal conflict around something meant to bring the family together.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this post, but it is 100% meant to be constructive. Please understand that there are more people like me that would really like to see this do well but are turned off by what’s happening at the moment.

*edit for grammar 

Edited by themewsh
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Battlefish said:

Looking good! It's about time we got a look at the new office. :lust:

A week earlier than I thought, that's even better !

In the video, he says that next week we will have another video, this time talking about the new launch date.

So February 18 could be a real possibility ! 😃

• Like 5

3 hours ago, justclaws said:

It was similar to Super Monkey Ball which came out on the Gamecube, then Wii.
I'm not sure if such 3D games would be wanted on the Amico which aims at 2D. ???

Why not !? It's not an open world, so I think a game like this could be on Amico someday !

I don't remember if the player in Monkey Ball had to control the camera at the same time as controlling the character ?
If the answer is yes, then probably you are right, but with the Amico Controller, you would not need a second discpad or joystick !

With Motion control, that could be a great game with this feature.

Edited by LePionnier
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, themewsh said:

Tommy, the YouTube culture shenanigans are hurting Amico. Spelling errors in the fox video, the weird deluge of reaction vids instantly, the interviews where you talk about doing things to mess with haters, I’m sorry man but I’m out.

I love the idea of the system, I appreciated your willingness to engage the community but now there’s just two echo chambers at war and it’s not a good look. It leaves a segment of would be buyers with a bad taste in their mouths.

The world is a bad enough place and life is challenging enough that we don’t need this eternal conflict around something meant to bring the family together.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this post, but it is 100% meant to be constructive. Please understand that there are more people like me that would really like to see this do well but are turned off by what’s happening at the moment.

*edit for grammar 

I think Tommy will appreciate your point of view. You have good points.

Tommy isn't perfect (Who is ...?), but I don't think that's a reason to go out.

I really understand your point. Take a few weeks off, and come back later.

Don't let this "war" deprive yourself of playing with a very interesting console and having fun with your friends and families ! 👍

Edited by LePionnier
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here's a little story about the latest Finnigan Fox drama.

The game is by far the one that interests me the least (I'm not a fan of modern 2D platformers, I don't think the game fits the multiplayer approach of the console and I'm not too fascinated by the theme or visuals). Also, the game is a gift for the haters that are waiting for Tommy to show a not-totally-exclusive game with extra modes and improved graphics to attack the Amico.

So the video came out and I haven't even seen it. Which is okay, because you don't have to like every single game from a console's catalog (!).

But from the moment it was released, I knew Pat & Ian would jump on it. And I know their Youtube videos are parts of their podcast in other platform that appear some days later, so I was kind of waiting for them to bite.

And when a few hours ago, a couple of users here expressed their "concerns" (I'm starting to hate that word), I knew it had happened. So I checked P&I's channel and boom! There it was. It's not the first time this happens: after they criticize the Amico, some folks immediately come here and say things like "it's not a good day for the Amico" (see here for a list of amazing insights from that particular user in this thread).

I'm aware that these two users are not comparable with trolls like Juice, but what I mean is:

1) Let's try not to come here just hours after P&I attack the Amico to repeat their concerns. I think we should know better at this point. Nobody takes those 2 seriously anymore.

2) Tommy has chosen Finnigan Fox because it's a "classic" game, even if many of us don't like that style of games. And Tommy is showing it right now because, let's remember, they haven't started their marketing yet and they're still focused in retro gamers.

By the way, I took the time to download the new office video and revert the mirror effect. Whoa! I'm such a nerd.

• Like 11

Not Amico related but nice to see the OG Intellivision games appear on modern systems, with the Evercade being a true standout in bringing back many classic retro games

• Like 12

2 hours ago, themewsh said:

*edit for grammar 

Wow

Tommy has taken the high road 99.9% of the time.  He is almost saintly!

Trying to correct misinformation is not WAR.  Letting lies go unchallenged...... leads to things like our Capitol being stormed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

(I'm not a fan of modern 2D platformers, I don't think the game fits the multiplayer approach of the console and I'm not too fascinated by the theme or visuals)

On my part, I like 2D platformers, but without pixels ! I know it's art, and nostalgia. There is a lot of really good metroidmania games that I didn't play because of that ! 😪

30 minutes ago, I ask my son which video he likes better between Fox n forest and Finnigan Fox. He is almost 9 years old, and without hesitation he said Finigan Fox.

Retro gamers are the majority liking amico right now, but it will not be the case forever. We will be minority. So I understand and agree with the new look for the game. 👍

Now about multiplayer, that's a bigger point I think. But we don't know a lot of things about it. So I will give the benefit of the doupt to them.

For now, just let say (brainstorming idea) that it could have been so cool to have something like a bird on your shoulder, and when crystals(magic) are fullfill, the second player can fly and help the fox.

The second player should also control seasons, but not when he is flying. So then player one would have to ask player 2 "Come back on my shoulder and change the season, I have to cross this river !!!"

With two players, you can also have more ennemies !

That's the kind of thing that could be a game changer and be very cool ! Two player it's multiplayer ! 😁

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

you don't have to like every single game from a console's catalog (!).

Absolutely !

Edited by LePionnier
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

Wow

Tommy has taken the high road 99.9% of the time.  He is almost saintly!

Trying to correct misinformation is not WAR.  Letting lies go unchallenged...... leads to things like our Capitol being stormed.

I'm sorry if you missed it, or just dont want to acknowledge it, but purposely messing with video content to "mess with the haters" to me isn't trying to correct misinformation. It is intentionally handing the YouTube frenzy fuel for a fire.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

Not Amico related but nice to see the OG Intellivision games appear on modern systems, with the Evercade being a true standout in bringing back many classic retro games

WoW ! That's great news ! I am listening right now.

And I think I have finally found a job (waiting for an answer today), so I will have money to buy this console and play Intellivision games ! (I will also not need to cancel all my Founders Edition and VIP orders !! 😅)

Thank you Tommy, and OEB Pete ( I think he is the one who thought of this idea ! ).  GREAT ! Intellivision is alive !

Edited by LePionnier
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, LePionnier said:

WoW ! That's great news ! I am listening right now.

And I think I have finally found a job (waiting for an answer today), so I will have money to buy this console and play Intellivision games !

Thank you Tommy, and OEB Pete ( I think he is the one who thought of this idea ! ).  GREAT ! Intellivision is alive !

First congrats on the new job! This may finally make me bite the bullet and get Evercade. I have been fence sitting for a very long time just because I have a lot of knockoff portable handhelds already. The Evercade library, however, is about 1000% better than I thought it would be. Quite frankly I thought it would be maybe a library of 6 cartridges of the same stuff everyone always thinks of classics (padded with filler) and that would be it. Instead they have beat the bushes and put out great collections of games and publishers like Piko, Codemasters, Jaleco, etc which, much like Pete say in the video, I missed growing up with Atari & Intellivision in the states. Of course how the games will feel with a conventional controller is always the question mark with Intellivision games but I am super happy yet another classic set of games is coming to the Evercade!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Battlefish said:

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but how about a glow-in-the-dark color for the Amico?

I mentioned to Tommy about a glow in the dark Amico.  I also asked him if we might get see through colors like the N64 had.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, themewsh said:

I'm sorry if you missed it, or just dont want to acknowledge it, but purposely messing with video content to "mess with the haters" to me isn't trying to correct misinformation. It is intentionally handing the YouTube frenzy fuel for a fire.

I can understand your point there but I can also see it from the other side too.  I mean this same group claimed terrible lag on the controller on a video where Tommy had to explain using a spitter because in the previous videos they had accused the footage of being faked my point being if that 3 seconds of video hadn’t been there it wouldn’t have stopped them from trashing the video for a different reason because all that group ever does is find any reason to hate on it because it has the audacity to try and be different from other consoles.  

• Like 8

I’m not sure what those guys are criticizing, and I hope nobody minds if I ask a couple of questions about it. I’m just seeking to understand what the criticism is, even if it isn’t valid; because everyone seems to know what they’re talking about except me.

10 frames of lag: what the heck does this mean? Contextually it’s something bad, and I gather it means 10 frames of lag between activating the directional control and your endgame avatar actually moving. But I’m not certain and I’d love an explanation.

Inverted controls: this was the other thing I wanted to ask about. They act like inverted controls is a bad thing, but I thought that was the whole idea behind Amico’s unique control system which based on that of Mattel’s Intellivision unit. Why would inverted controls be something bad to these guys?

Let me repeat this is merely a request for information. I don’t buy into these guys’ criticism, I’m just seeking to understand it.

Edit to add: OK, I received a reply over on Reddit to the same questions.

You have the idea correct on lag. Basically it will feel sluggish and not very responsive. Lag like that will make it very hard to play any game that requires some type of skill.

The controller was inverted to probably hide the lag. So that when he pushed the buttons back and forth quickly, it wasn't as noticeable that the fox was super sluggish. It really is concerning either way that this would be deliberately done and bragged about.

Edited by TMPiper
Additional info
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, themewsh said:

*edit for grammar 

Great points. I too find all of that questionable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LePionnier said:

On my part, I like 2D platformers, but without pixels ! I know it's art, and nostalgia. There is a lot of really good metroidmania games that I didn't play because of that ! 😪

30 minutes ago, I ask my son which video he likes better between Fox n forest and Finnigan Fox. He is almost 9 years old, and without hesitation he said Finigan Fox.

Retro gamers are the majority liking amico right now, but it will not be the case forever. We will be minority. So I understand and agree with the new look for the game. 👍

Now about multiplayer, that's a bigger point I think. But we don't know a lot of things about it. So I will give the benefit of the doupt to them.

For now, just let say (brainstorming idea) that it could have been so cool to have something like a bird on your shoulder, and when crystals(magic) are fullfill, the second player can fly and help the fox.

The second player should also control seasons, but not when he is flying. So then player one would have to ask player 2 "Come back on my shoulder and change the season, I have to cross this river !!!"

With two players, you can also have more ennemies !

That's the kind of thing that could be a game changer and be very cool ! Two player it's multiplayer ! 😁

Absolutely !

8 Eyes for the NES did this with the falcon Cutrus. There were certain buttons or switches that only the falcon could reach. I don't have much experience with the game to know if how or if the falcon could attack the monsters, but it would be awesome for my son to play the game and his sister (or I [or mom]) could help out as needed. It would also be cool for a third player to take control of random monsters or even bosses. I wish games like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage let the second player take control of the bad guys. Talk about a gauntlet.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, TMPiper said:

I’m not sure what those guys are criticizing, and I hope nobody minds if I ask a couple of questions about it. I’m just seeking to understand what the criticism is, even if it isn’t valid; because everyone seems to know what they’re talking about except me.

10 frames of lag: what the heck does this mean? Contextually it’s something bad, and I gather it means 10 frames of lag between activating the directional control and your endgame avatar actually moving. But I’m not certain and I’d love an explanation.

Inverted controls: this was the other thing I wanted to ask about. They act like inverted controls is a bad thing, but I thought that was the whole idea behind Amico’s unique control system which based on that of Mattel’s Intellivision unit. Why would inverted controls be something bad to these guys?

Let me repeat this is merely a request for information. I don’t buy into these guys’ criticism, I’m just seeking to understand it.

Edit to add: OK, I received a reply over on Reddit to the same questions.

You have the idea correct on lag. Basically it will feel sluggish and not very responsive. Lag like that will make it very hard to play any game that requires some type of skill.

The controller was inverted to probably hide the lag. So that when he pushed the buttons back and forth quickly, it wasn't as noticeable that the fox was super sluggish. It really is concerning either way that this would be deliberately done and bragged about.

The important question is what is the reason for the lag.  Is it because the game was ported from other platforms and hasn't been optimised for the amico hardware?  How much control latency is there in games that are more finished e.g. missile command, skiing?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The important question is what is the reason for the lag.

That is a good question. My take?

I figured it was a beta version for demo purpose, one that has yet to be fine-tuned to take advantage of Amico’s architecture and hardware. 

YMMV

• Like 3

No offense to anyone, but some Internet 'expert' has declared there are 10 frames of lag because of some comment that Tommy made (and quite frankly I wouldn't put it past him to troll them on that comment) about a BETA program. Please wake me up when there is something to actually talk about beyond wild speculation from people who are pre-biased anyway (which means I throw away their opinion before they even start).

If the Amico ships with a bunch of laggy games, the *actual* reviews will be terrible, people will hate to play it and it will tank (rightfully so) and Pat and Ian will literally pee themselves with delight. As a long timer coder and gamer, I don't even worry about what beta previews look like except for a general direction of where things are going. I know what beta code is like & been through thousands of game previews to know that none of this means much when it comes to the shipping product (good, bad or indifferent).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I know this has already been commented on, but I feel the need to say God bless you man. I'm sorry to hear that you went through that, but I'm happy to hear you're doing so much better than you were. 

My wife and I were diagnosed with Covid at the beginning of this month; It's awful. I seriously can't state enough how bad this thing is. I went to the hospital for dehydration and my wife has been twice due to her asthma. Thankfully we are going strong, but it hasn't been easy

Thank you, and wishing for you and your wife’s continued recovery. 

take care

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

No offense to anyone, but some Internet 'expert' has declared there are 10 frames of lag because of some comment that Tommy made (and quite frankly I wouldn't put it past him to troll them on that comment) about a BETA program. Please wake me up when there is something to actually talk about beyond wild speculation from people who are pre-biased anyway (which means I throw away their opinion before they even start).

If the Amico ships with a bunch of laggy games, the *actual* reviews will be terrible, people will hate to play it and it will tank (rightfully so) and Pat and Ian will literally pee themselves with delight. As a long timer coder and gamer, I don't even worry about what beta previews look like except for a general direction of where things are going. I know what beta code is like & been through thousands of game previews to know that none of this means much when it comes to the shipping product (good, bad or indifferent).

I agree, nitpicking lag before anyone has their hands on a system in person is a waste of time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

A lot of valid criticism in the video.. A lot of BS type criticism.  But for those of you who have an issue with the graphics/animation. A new Ghosts'N Goblins game is coming out.

They have gotten rid of the pixel Art and have gone more like a cartoon like flash game.. In this case, a HIGH-END flash game.  Still looks like a blast to play though..  

I like to see how the sausage is made, so keep the videos coming!

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Jeffrey Bouchard said:

Just an idea, do you think a game such as Angry Birds would work on the Amico? I’d also like to see Bowling, Darts, Crazy 8s and other card games. 

Why settle for angry birds when you can have JOUST! 😀

Image result for Joust arcade artwork

• Like 11

3 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

This should be a separate thread. It will get burried here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrudgeQ said:

No offense to anyone, but some Internet 'expert' has declared there are 10 frames of lag because of some comment

Sorry! Like I said, I was just trying to understand the gentleman’s criticism. I meant no offense to anyone here. I’m a fan of Amico and didn’t see or hear anything to concern me about the hardware or software release.

• Like 6