Jump to content
Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Recommended Posts

Hey Tommy,

Any chance that you'll publish a book? I'd enjoy reading about your accomplishments, such as video games live and Intellivision Entertainment.  The title of your book could be "Wouldn't that be something," and if possible I'd like to get an autographed copy.

Edited by skylinesandsunsets
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on system. If I understand correctly, the USB-C on the back of the console cannot be used to charge the controllers.  If this is accurate, could this lack of ability limit options in the future WRT peripherals?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo!,  I have a lot of catching up to do, but just wanted to quickly pop in and say that our big (and first) public Intellivision Amico demonstration at the National Videogame Museum in Texas on Friday couldn't have gone better!!

Friends, strangers, families, etc. all playing Amico for the first time and REALLY loving it!  For the folks who knew about Amico, they said they had high expectations going in... and their expectations were exceeded.

They mentioned that holding and using the unique Amico controller and seeing casual, non-gamers & families immediately picking it up and loving it was really incredible and they now fully understand how successful we can be. We are currently working on a trailer of the event that should be out by the end of the week.

Here is a video from YouTuber Cyrus
Martin about his personal experience. More videos to come!
 

 

  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yo!,  I have a lot of catching up to do, but just wanted to quickly pop in and say that our big (and first) public Intellivision Amico demonstration at the National Videogame Museum in Texas on Friday couldn't have gone better!!

Friends, strangers, families, etc. all playing Amico for the first time and REALLY loving it!  For the folks who knew about Amico, they said they had high expectations going in... and their expectations were exceeded.

They mentioned that holding and using the unique Amico controller and seeing casual, non-gamers & families immediately picking it up and loving it was really incredible and they now fully understand how successful we can be. We are currently working on a trailer of the event that should be out by the end of the week.

Here is a video from YouTuber Cyrus Martin about his personal experience. More videos to come!
 
 

Well done Tommy. Dying to get my hands on the Amico. Please deliver me one by October!
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yay.  The countdown timer is back.  Thanks Pete.

you are most welcome, now if I jinx it it is all our fault LOL

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Have I missed something?

...eyes turn the other way, I don't want to see you cry.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

SAD

Sad as in wishing we could get our hands on an Amico now?  Definitely!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 10:05 AM, Cranker said:

I’m wondering if the control pad can be mapped to move only in 4 directions for a game like pac man. So for example, any of the 16 outputs for left would give you a “pure left”

 

I'd thought about this too - slicing the mapped inputs into four quadrants.  The thing I'll stress is that unlike a traditional d-pad, where you have a subtle tactile indication that you've switched from left to up position (in the feel of the crosspad) - the disc is absent that tactile feedback.  So if you were in left position and just pressed up slightly, you could still be in left position (one of those 16 sectors dedicated to "left").. and not get the response you thought.  Or your thumb may be slightly off center and you think you're in true left, but you're closer to that up quadrant than you intended, and a slight shift in pressure gives an "up" input.  How would you resolve that?  

 

Well, the shape of the disc being a basin helps tremendously, but players still need a little time with the disc to get accustomed to it if they're regularly lifting that thumb and re-placing it.  But also, the games could take advantage of some of those inputs and pressure sensitivity to gauge intent.  Intellivision would have to heavily playtest their assumptions:  When do you register a slight shift and when don't you?  If pressure is on 25 inputs on that radial and it's fairly evenly distributed for a game with only four real directional results, is that a move upward or is that still directional left (with a few up inputs pressed)?  What if most of the inputs are on left quadrant, but the weight/pressure is skewing to those couple up inputs pressed?  What if the pressure is closer to 50/50?  That's all stuff they've had to test and figure on that controller and the pressure sensitivity and I'm excited to play it - it should give the controller a very pseudo analog feel I hope (that's what the early feedback sounds like).  

 

So in Cranker's suggestion, you'd just split those into four quadrants, but maybe that gives some un-intentional responses?  So I could see them also trial a layout where.. maybe 8 or 10 or 12 inputs nearest those cardinal up/down/left/right directions are in play, and the 16 or 8 left unmapped (basically in the No Man's Land [NE, SE, SW, NW] positions) are "dead" zones that won't register feedback.  That may make a miserable play experience, or it may encourage the player to more deliberate presses.. maybe continuing left and not accidentally going up in a maze game is better, or maybe stopped movement is better?  Not sure not having tested any of that, but it's one of the ways the controller is definitely equipped to be a different beast.  And yield unique results for different games - it could be optimized or dialed back to the needs of the game.  Can't do that with a d-pad.  Can't do that with a thumbstick.  And you hear Cyrus and Grudge talking about it, how it needs a minute or two to orient what's going on with the disc's layers of responsiveness to mentally click.  That's friggin fascinating.  I can't shout from enough rooftops how cool that is.  Someone is trying something different.  That's innovation.  I could give two flying, uh, biplanes.. how much a dismissive faction laments that Intellivision is marching ahead with this silly controller (we all know the original Intellivision controller was a Soviet torture program leaked and procured by Mattel to be unleashed upon the masses).  When the modern controller is perfect, the gaming gods' gift to mankind - "We've done it - we've created controller nirvana in the much repeated crosspad/ABXY/left stick/right stick/left & right top shoulder/left & right back trigger/start/select layout, it's ambrosia in your hands.  Lap it up.  Now go etch it on the sacred Holies and throw stones at anyone who looks back or forward or elsewhere for design considerations.  Big stones."

 

All right maybe I get a little exaggerative there.  Maybe.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RetroAdvisoryBoard said:

 

I'd thought about this too - slicing the mapped inputs into four quadrants.  The thing I'll stress is that unlike a traditional d-pad, where you have a subtle tactile indication that you've switched from left to up position (in the feel of the crosspad) - the disc is absent that tactile feedback.  So if you were in left position and just pressed up slightly, you could still be in left position (one of those 16 sectors dedicated to "left").. and not get the response you thought.  Or your thumb may be slightly off center and you think you're in true left, but you're closer to that up quadrant than you intended, and a slight shift in pressure gives an "up" input.  How would you resolve that?  

 

Well, the shape of the disc being a basin helps tremendously, but players still need a little time with the disc to get accustomed to it if they're regularly lifting that thumb and re-placing it.  But also, the games could take advantage of some of those inputs and pressure sensitivity to gauge intent.  Intellivision would have to heavily playtest their assumptions:  When do you register a slight shift and when don't you?  If pressure is on 25 inputs on that radial and it's fairly evenly distributed for a game with only four real directional results, is that a move upward or is that still directional left (with a few up inputs pressed)?  What if most of the inputs are on left quadrant, but the weight/pressure is skewing to those couple up inputs pressed?  What if the pressure is closer to 50/50?  That's all stuff they've had to test and figure on that controller and the pressure sensitivity and I'm excited to play it - it should give the controller a very pseudo analog feel I hope (that's what the early feedback sounds like).  

 

So in Cranker's suggestion, you'd just split those into four quadrants, but maybe that gives some un-intentional responses?  So I could see them also trial a layout where.. maybe 8 or 10 or 12 inputs nearest those cardinal up/down/left/right directions are in play, and the 16 or 8 left unmapped (basically in the No Man's Land [NE, SE, SW, NW] positions) are "dead" zones that won't register feedback.  That may make a miserable play experience, or it may encourage the player to more deliberate presses.. maybe continuing left and not accidentally going up in a maze game is better, or maybe stopped movement is better?  Not sure not having tested any of that, but it's one of the ways the controller is definitely equipped to be a different beast.  And yield unique results for different games - it could be optimized or dialed back to the needs of the game.  Can't do that with a d-pad.  Can't do that with a thumbstick.  And you hear Cyrus and Grudge talking about it, how it needs a minute or two to orient what's going on with the disc's layers of responsiveness to mentally click.  That's friggin fascinating.  I can't shout from enough rooftops how cool that is.  Someone is trying something different.  That's innovation.  I could give two flying, uh, biplanes.. how much a dismissive faction laments that Intellivision is marching ahead with this silly controller (we all know the original Intellivision controller was a Soviet torture program leaked and procured by Mattel to be unleashed upon the masses).  When the modern controller is perfect, the gaming gods' gift to mankind - "We've done it - we've created controller nirvana in the much repeated crosspad/ABXY/left stick/right stick/left & right top shoulder/left & right back trigger/start/select layout, it's ambrosia in your hands.  Lap it up.  Now go etch it on the sacred Holies and throw stones at anyone who looks back or forward or elsewhere for design considerations.  Big stones."

 

All right maybe I get a little exaggerative there.  Maybe.

The issue often is, with controllers that allow presses of two right angle directions at the same time, one frequently accidentally applies slight pressure to the right angle direction. You don’t have to be off by much for this to occur. The 4 way gate absolutely prevents any pressure being applied to a right angle. 

 

EDIT: This is probably too much of a pain for programmers of game software or controller firmware or it would have been done with modern analog thumb sticks, but, with the multiple levels of pressure sensitivity in the Amico controller, it seems like, for 4 way games, you could program games to only accept the direction with the most pressure. This would be in addition to allowing only the four directions. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tommy Tallarico I'm anxiously awaiting an Imagic video.  Your recent poll about which Imagic games we'd like to see first has gotten me excited.  Please say a preview video for an Imagic game is close!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zee said:

@Tommy Tallarico I'm anxiously awaiting an Imagic video.  Your recent poll about which Imagic games we'd like to see first has gotten me excited.  Please say a preview video for an Imagic game is close!!

I second this.  We need an Imagic video.  Hopefully we get one in April.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Have I missed something?


It was directed against me. He apparently got upset with me when I reported his reply to him for gratuitous profanity. He then quoted my private communication right here in the board with a reply of “yes” the size of the “sad” you see above. Then he deleted that and my reply requesting account deletion. I didn’t and don’t see the point in all that drama, but since he’s a mod and I’m just a yo-yo it looks like I’m the one who will have to leave. 
 

If anyone can advise me on how to delete my account here on AA I’d appreciate it. See you around the galaxy! 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont care about new consoles more (I sold xbox one, 3ds,...) but Amico is the real hope on modern consoles with funny games (not sad, depressed, endless farming and interactive movies) I love highscore leaderboards.

 

I cant wait to see Imagic games and Seaquest, Centipede and more games from Atari.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all the lucky people that got to lay their hands on a controllers. See the console. Plus the bonus hanging out with Tommy. Congrats! It sounds like it was both fun, and informative. 

 

I do have a semi difficult question for all of you: From what you have seen. And given there will be more optimizations of the games. Do you see any potential issues with the console? limited CPU/GPU Power? Memory? Playing certain games on the controller? The size of the controller?  I don't think durability will be an issue unless you put it in a campfire, or run it over with a mower.  Bear attack? Not trying to add fuel to any negativity fire. I think EVERY system ever has had something about it. Just wonderin' 

 

PS - Every few months I mention Tron or ET in a post.. So I'm sending out vibes that these are still in the potential bucket.  Hoping for a Wouldn't that be somethingtm post soon :)

PPS - I know Tempest is in early works as well. Would love to see at least a screenshot.

PPSSPP - Adventure too.

 

I'll stop there.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MegaTurrican said:

I don't care about new consoles more (I sold Xbox one, 3ds,...) but Amico is the real hope on modern consoles with funny games (not sad, depressed, endless farming and interactive movies) I love high score leaderboards.

 

I cant wait to see Imagic games and Seaquest, Centipede and more games from Atari.

Hello and welcome to the Amico Q&A. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, woobman said:

To all the lucky people that got to lay their hands on a controllers. See the console. Plus the bonus hanging out with Tommy. Congrats! It sounds like it was both fun, and informative. 

 

I do have a semi difficult question for all of you: From what you have seen. And given there will be more optimizations of the games. Do you see any potential issues with the console? limited CPU/GPU Power? Memory? Playing certain games on the controller? The size of the controller?  I don't think durability will be an issue unless you put it in a campfire, or run it over with a mower.  Bear attack? Not trying to add fuel to any negativity fire. I think EVERY system ever has had something about it. Just wonderin' 

 

PS - Every few months I mention Tron or ET in a post.. So I'm sending out vibes that these are still in the potential bucket.  Hoping for a Wouldn't that be somethingtm post soon :)

PPS - I know Tempest is in early works as well. Would love to see at least a screenshot.

PPSSPP - Adventure too.

 

I'll stop there.

 

Yes. Please tell Tommy your concerns from hands on experience. Despite the rumors, I’m sure he doesn’t want yes men or to be a snake oil salesmen. Insisting that your speculations are reality and shared by everyone in the world over and over again is a different story. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...