Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

9 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

🤣 Looks like we have a Mexican Standoff (vid a bit NSFW but hilarious)

A Turducken. He stuffs the cabbage in the rabbit, and the rabbit in the fox, and he eats all of them. 

That’s not the answer. 

It’s an answer. 

- Key and Peele, Fargo, Season 1.

• Haha 4

On 6/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, RREDDWARFF said:

I've never experienced controller lag with any of my consoles, from the Sega Master System to the latest Xbox, but my Series X randomly has a horrible sound delay. When it does this I just turn it off and find something else to do. The delay is 1-2 full seconds.

Only lag I’ve ever experienced was an early (pre BT) 2nd party IR NES controller. Was a total waste of money and turned me off to the whole wireless thing for quite a while.  I was thinking back then “how is this better than a cord?”  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vongruetz said:

My question: Who is this thing for?  I mean, who are they trying to target with this thing? It seems to be different and weird just to be different and weird. I'm trying to figure out why anybody would fork over $180 dollars for this when I can't see what it's really offering.

For me I think it is more of an 'experience' than a console. What I mean is it is a bit like one of those mystery box services you can subscribe too. Every week you get a game (now two) and you barely know anything about it before it arrives. That is fun and gives you something to look forward to, kind of like a gaming Advent Calendar.  I think the dock is trying to give it a purpose between game arrivals because of the screen technology it can be an always on clock and now a speaker/music player too. They are also leaning heavily into an open development platform for people who like to develop games and tinker around with coding.

Overall I am a lot more interested in the Playdate than the Atari VCS, but that says a lot more about the anemic and unfocused VCS store than the merits of the Playdate. The Playdate is more of a novelty or diversion, interesting hardware which might spawn interesting games and as a specialized development platform (I could see developing an always on monitoring app of some sort). Unless there is some sort of breakout game for it, I just don't see it selling more than tens of thousands of units. I applaud anyone trying something different in the gaming space and might even get one myself but, yeah, this isn't the next gaming platform for the masses. This is like the guy driving a Volkswagen Thing: it attracts attention, is fun, not really that practical but it is really about owning something different & the experience.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

For me I think it is more of an 'experience' than a console. What I mean is it is a bit like one of those mystery box services you can subscribe too. Every week you get a game (now two) and you barely know anything about it before it arrives. That is fun and gives you something to look forward to, kind of like a gaming Advent Calendar.  I think the dock is trying to give it a purpose between game arrivals because of the screen technology it can be an always on clock and now a speaker/music player too. They are also leaning heavily into an open development platform for people who like to develop games and tinker around with coding.

Overall I am a lot more interested in the Playdate than the Atari VCS, but that says a lot more about the anemic and unfocused VCS store than the merits of the Playdate. The Playdate is more of a novelty or diversion, interesting hardware which might spawn interesting games and as a specialized development platform (I could see developing an always on monitoring app of some sort). Unless there is some sort of breakout game for it, I just don't see it selling more than tens of thousands of units. I applaud anyone trying something different in the gaming space and might even get one myself but, yeah, this isn't the next gaming platform for the masses. This is like the guy driving a Volkswagen Thing: it attracts attention, is fun, not really that practical but it is really about owning something different & the experience.

I agree with your post and for me it is a diversion and hopefully one that turns out to be a fun experience . Yes it’s pricy but with COVID and all, I’m not spending much money so what the heck ! It’s an appetizer to the Amico assuming it comes out before the Amico 😎

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

I walked away from that video feeling like I was being talked to as if I was 7 years old.  I admit, sometimes I act that way... but please don't sales pitch me like I really am.

Completely passing on this one.  I get the uniqueness of the unit, but that's not enough reason for me to pony-up $200 for it.

I dunno, the way they presented the thing reminds me of a lot of TV commercials nowadays...More modern and "relaxed".

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Starpaddler said:

Only lag I’ve ever experienced was an early (pre BT) 2nd party IR NES controller. Was a total waste of money and turned me off to the whole wireless thing for quite a while.  I was thinking back then “how is this better than a cord?”  

Camerica? or something close to that?

The more than likely success (which doesn't mean selling millions of consoles, but hundreds of thousands) of the Playdate can help the improve the perception of the Amico from hardcore gamers. Some of them are still crying "Ouya" in the comments of the recent Playdate event.

The Playdate will hopefully make obscure consoles cool again.

• Like 6

We obviously need more Amico content on here when people are starting to talk about other products.  Anything that isn't Amico related is a pass for me.  New games are going to be coming out every week so my extra funds will be going toward that.  Just look at the list of some of the games that will be out in 2021 if the Amico gets released...

Battle Tanks

Biplanes

Bomb Squad

Breakout

Cloudy Mountain

Golf

Missile Command

MLB Baseball

Moon Patrol

Night Stalker

Pong

Pool & Billiards

Soccer

That doesn't even include the pack in games or others that I haven't listed as they are not on my radar.  Either way, the Amico should give us enough to keep us busy for a long time!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

The more than likely success (which doesn't mean selling millions of consoles, but hundreds of thousands) of the Playdate can help the improve the perception of the Amico from hardcore gamers. Some of them are still crying "Ouya" in the comments of the recent Playdate event.

The Playdate will hopefully make obscure consoles cool again.

As usual I think they are missing the point. I think the people who get the Playdate will love it because it is quirky, fun & different - because it has a distinct point of view as a product. If you are anything like me, I am bored to death of even going to a mega store - mostly the same products as everybody else, organize in the same way - rarely anything new. How about the staple restaurants you run across in every town in the US: Chili's, Fridays or Applebee? Pretty much the same mixed Americana menus across the board - ugh! Like the mega stores, nothing wrong with them, but generally I am bored to death of their products. People might get a Playdate even if they have a Switch or a PS4/5 or XBox Series XS/S/M/L/XL just for that reason - it is nothing like those other things.

Plus even if they sell 80,000 units (a pretty modest number) that is throwing off $14,400,000.00 in revenue at $180 a unit (not counting the dock, cover or future subscription revenue - undoubtably millions more). Even with pretty modest margins that could well be over $1.5 mil in profit (plus ongoing revenues) more than enough to make it an interesting side project for a company like Panic. The 'Ouya!' crowd has the same mentality as someone who laughs at a guy with a fleet of septic trucks, what they don't think about is that sewer guy is probably a millionaire - *small thinking*.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

If you are anything like me, I am bored to death of even going to a mega store - mostly the same products as everybody else, organize in the same way - rarely anything new.

It's good when a company does something different for a change.  Makes them stand out more from the crowd.  Like what IE is doing with the Amico.  Innovation is great.  It works well for Nintendo.

• Like 4

Check out our E3 2021 teaser.

Join us for the
Intellivision showcase at E3 Expo to see some new game announcements and gameplay footage!  🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

Monday, June 14th at 9:45am PT / 12:45pm ET
YouTube.com/E3
Facebook.com/E3expo
Twitter.com/E3
Twitch.TV/E3

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Join us for the
Intellivision showcase at E3 Expo to see some new game announcements and gameplay footage!  🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

YouTube.com/E3
Facebook.com/E3expo
Twitter.com/E3
Twitch.TV/E3

🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

Hmm, these seems like clues too... (I am hoping the last one is the new Flying Tigers game :) )
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Join us for the

YouTube.com/E3
Facebook.com/E3expo
Twitter.com/E3
Twitch.TV/E3

I love this:

Pretty much every other game company/console CEO making a video: "we need an interesting, gamery background, I will go stand in front of this green screen"

Tommy: "Lets just film in my home or office, which doubles as a video gaming museum"

• Like 7

Hmm that was Tempest in the background…..I wonder……we can hope. I like the new white, looks really nice👍😀

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

https://intellivision.com/shop

New merch in the IE shop.

You can't tell me this isn't directed directly at DJC Game Studio & Retro Bro 🤣

image.thumb.png.25ce85a2e06e5c08085058448f0a5fe9.png

Also a new discount code is in the latest Intellivision email & and an even better one is hiding in a recent r/Amico Reddit post.

Plus the Distressed "Running Man" Ball Cap is finally back in stock! I got one already and I love the slightly scruffed, worn look of it.

• Like 4

They've had the tank tops for a while.  Some of the new stuff are water bottles and a tie dye hat.  They always put a 15% discount code in the email.  Which is nice.  I'm still waiting for a Puffy shirt then I'll use the code.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 4

I've never watched an E3 before but I will this year just to see the Amico presentation.  Can't wait.

• Like 6

Is this the official start to the E3 predictions thread? OK then...Pete started off with a few good ones in his video.

Let the predictions begin!

On a side note:

image.thumb.png.7807ba92a2f4fc2b2803f36a5f8a51b8.png

Is it just me? Or is that a Face?!?!?!?

• Like 9

Just now, woobman said:

Is this the official start to the E3 predictions thread? OK then...Pete started off with a few good ones in his video.

On a side note:

It does look like a face.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, woobman said:

On a side note:

It’s Tommy 😜

• Haha 4