Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

The Playdate was originally going to just get a small release of a few dozen units, handmade, until enough people demanded one. Initially it was created to allow Keita Takahashi and a few others to make a few crazy ideas on, and the idea took off from there. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

The more than likely success (which doesn't mean selling millions of consoles, but hundreds of thousands) of the Playdate can help the improve the perception of the Amico from hardcore gamers. Some of them are still crying "Ouya" in the comments of the recent Playdate event.

The Playdate will hopefully make obscure consoles cool again.

In what scenario can Playdate possibly sell more than the low tens of thousands of units even with a wholly unexpected wild sales success? It's an ultra niche product made even more niche by the high $179 price point. Do you really think there are hundreds of thousands of people clamoring for a black and white handheld with a crank?

And what do you mean by make "obscure consoles cool again"? The Amico, despite itself being a niche product, is wholly unrelated to anything involving the Playdate or anything else in my opinion. It will succeed or fail based on its own merits and frankly very reasonable gameplan the Amico team has come up with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

https://intellivision.com/shop

New merch in the IE shop.

I like the 70's, early 80's inspired styles of the new shirts available in the Amico/Intellivision store.

I do wish they would have these in the vintage baseball style tees with 3/4, alternate color, sleeves.

image.png

Edited by RREDDWARFF
  • Like 6

@Bill Loguidice This is why I specified "among hardcore gamers". As Tommy has pointed out, the Ouya and VCS made it more complicated to release new consoles for smaller companies, as every new console is now called the new Ouya by a portion of gamers on the Internet. Theoretically this shouldn't affect the Amico's main market.

I personally don't see the need to spend that money on the Playdate, but I find it a cool concept and also interesting as an experiment, even if it's not their goal. And I'm convinced it will sell reasonably well in a small scale because I know millions of modern gamers are into buying things that look cool. And at least this thing looks cool and you can also play a lot of strange games on it (which I personally hope they improve, as one of the developers even said he didn't know what he was doing).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

Hmm, these seems like clues too... (I am hoping the last one is the new Flying Tigers game :) )

Dolphin Quest and Soccer would be ones we haven't seen yet....* excitement rising *

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:
Check out our E3 2021 teaser.

Join us for the
Intellivision showcase at E3 Expo to see some new game announcements and gameplay footage!  🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

Monday, June 14th at 9:45am PT / 12:45pm ET
YouTube.com/E3
Facebook.com/E3expo
Twitter.com/E3
Twitch.TV/E3

Awesome!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Join us

:evil::P

JoinUs.gif

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

In what scenario can Playdate possibly sell more than the low tens of thousands of units even with a wholly unexpected wild sales success? It's an ultra niche product made even more niche by the high $179 price point. Do you really think there are hundreds of thousands of people clamoring for a black and white handheld with a crank?

And what do you mean by make "obscure consoles cool again"? The Amico, despite itself being a niche product, is wholly unrelated to anything involving the Playdate or anything else in my opinion. It will succeed or fail based on its own merits and frankly very reasonable gameplan the Amico team has come up with. 

Just me, but I assume by obscure consoles, he was referring to 1st and 2nd generation consoles and concurrent arcade games that seem to be becoming more passe amongst angsty gamers born in the 80s, 90s and 00s as they seem to be "boomer" consoles to them now.

I find it funny, because they'll be joining us before they know it. LOL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Swami said:

Just me, but I assume by obscure consoles, he was referring to 1st and 2nd generation consoles and concurrent arcade games that seem to be becoming more passe amongst angsty gamers born in the 80s, 90s and 00s as they seem to be "boomer" consoles to them now.

I find it funny, because they'll be joining us before they know it. LOL.

Nope! What I meant was consoles outside the big ones. The Ouya had nothing retro about it and I included it. Maybe I should have used another word. It would be great that consoles from smaller companies with their own catalogue of exclusive games are successful, and for that we need the Amico and Playdate to succeed (the Evercade may be helping, but all games are re-releases). The Ouya was discontinued 3 years later and the store closed 7 years later, but hopefully it will be different this time.

But you're right about everything becoming retro at some point, and I believe we're lucky... Kids born in 2010 will have a hard time playing their old PS4 and PS5 if Sony closes its servers at some point.

But we're in an Amico thread and we need to Amico more, so... Tommy, can you give us a hint about any of the E3 potential surprises?

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Dolphin Quest and Soccer would be ones we haven't seen yet....* excitement rising *

I think you are a spot on, especially considering the E3 crowd. I am guessing if we see Sesame Street or Shark! Shark! or something it will be in a brief "and we got these too" montage. Here are my guesses based on the E3 audience:

🐬🚀💣 🛩️ 

Dolphin Quest aka Ecco - we haven't seen an update on this one in a long time & it is a classic. Doubt if Shark! Shark! is going to appeal at E3 and I don't think there is another fish related game

Rigid Force Reduce Enhanced - rapid fire space shooter, still popular on all platforms. Could also be Astrosmash, but it has been shown a lot lately.

Dynablaster - This could be Bomb Squad shown as a party game, but I am going to with Dynablaster because Super Bomberman is still out on modern consoles & should be familiar

Soccer - sports games have an almost universal appeal, hope we get some more MLB baseball too

Flying Tigers - more of a hope on that one. I think Tommy said it is a vertical shooter, ala 1943 or something, so this would also fit into the more action oriented Amico games

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mockduck said:

The Playdate was originally going to just get a small release of a few dozen units, handmade, until enough people demanded one. Initially it was created to allow Keita Takahashi and a few others to make a few crazy ideas on, and the idea took off from there. 

I showed my daughter the video for the Play.Date. Her first reaction was that the games reminded her of WarioWare. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I like the 70's, early 80's inspired styles of the new shirts available in the Amico/Intellivision store.

I do wish they would have these in the vintage baseball style tees with 3/4, alternate color, sleeves.

image.png

I agree... That would look great with some of the designs...or even just the Running Man in the center.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, woobman said:

I showed my daughter the video for the Play.Date. Her first reaction was that the games reminded her of WarioWare. 

She has a pretty savvy comparison. I suspect they have doubled the number of games being released in season one, but I worry that half will be more 'experiences' than full games & even the full games might not be very deep. Still I like the system & the novel grab bag subscription service but with season one just lasting 3 months, I really want to know what the quality is and how much money season two will be. With seasons lasting 3 month, or 4 seasons a year, a $50 season would add up to $200 a year. Now that is only $2 a game at the current number of games provided, so I certainly don't think that is unreasonable, still $200 is a lot of money to me for a bit of a novelty system.  Even more worrisome, it is very low $s to the developer - hence my concern about 'experiences' more than games. Heck a dollar or two is probably the sales *bonus* the more 'hired gun' Amico developers are getting after Intellivision has paid all of their development costs, not their full revenue stream on a game.

Personally I would rather have the seasons be like 6 months & twelve good games with maybe an 'experience' coming in the alternating weeks (or something) to keep the quality higher. Still, a cool system with a chance for really unique games and a novel experience. Basically I am just more 'wait & see ' on it.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

She has a pretty savvy comparison. I suspect they have doubled the number of games being released in season one, but I worry that half will be more 'experiences' than full games & even the full games might not be very deep. Still I like the system & the novel grab bag subscription service but with season one just lasting 3 months, I really want to know what the quality is and how much money season two will be. With seasons lasting 3 month, or 4 seasons a year, a $50 season would add up to $200 a year. Now that is only $2 a game at the current number of games provided, so I certainly don't think that is unreasonable, still $200 is a lot of money to me for a bit of a novelty system.  Even more worrisome, it is very low $s to the developer - hence my concern about 'experiences' more than games. Heck a dollar or two is probably the sales *bonus* the more 'hired gun' Amico developers are getting after Intellivision has paid all of their development costs, not their full revenue stream on a game.

Personally I would rather have the seasons be like 6 months & twelve good games with maybe an 'experience' coming in the alternating weeks (or something) to keep the quality higher. Still, a cool system with a chance for really unique games and a novel experience. Basically I am just more 'wait & see ' on it.

I agree with you. I plan on pre-ordering the Playdate because I love to have everything on day 1 but it would probably be wiser to

wait Until user reviews are in but then I might have to wait months to get it. I guess there is a bit of FOMO involved ! 😂 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 3

Back on topic... 🙄

If the Amico is supposed to be out in October, I would think we would find out something for sure by the end of July.  I'm guessing at this point the first run of consoles will be a limited run.  That being said, the woodgrain has the highest demand.  I'm looking at getting the graphite.  Hopefully those will be available if we get a limited run in October...

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cranker said:

I agree with you. I plan on pre-ordering the Playdate because I love to have everything on day 1 but it would probably be wiser to

wait Until user reviews are in but then I might have to wait months to get it. I guess there is a bit of FOMO involved ! 😂 

Nothing wrong with that and who knows, I may pre-order one myself. I do think the first included season will be strong and I would likely sucker into at least one more season as a trial. Not sure after that but it would make a nice clock/programmable widget with the dock and I guess my desk isn't THAT crowded (the difference between my logical brain and my 'oh look a new, shiny object' brain LOL). It is cool & different, so 👍 to anyone trying something new.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

If the Amico is supposed to be out in October, I would think we would find out something for sure by the end of July. 

Tommy said he would let us know in mid-July I think.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Back on topic... 🙄

If the Amico is supposed to be out in October, I would think we would find out something for sure by the end of July.  I'm guessing at this point the first run of consoles will be a limited run.  That being said, the woodgrain has the highest demand.  I'm looking at getting the graphite.  Hopefully those will be available if we get a limited run in October...

LOL your right, I think we are all just waiting for the E3 presentation because we know it will mostly be radio silence from Intellivision until then. I definitely think the pre-order will get priority & from what I hear graphite black is the most popular base color so I think you are good. It is likely general retail that will get bumped if production is limited & again the advantage is if the retail push occurs next year that will give Intellivision plenty of time to build up the software library, work out any kinks, get things like the leaderboards implemented, get out of the dreaded 'pre revenue' phase (even if in a limited way), etc. That will make the product a lot more mature when Jim & Janell Consumer start hearing about it. Basically I would love to see pre-orders ship 2021, Oct 10 or not.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GrudgeQ said:

LOL your right, I think we are all just waiting for the E3 presentation because we know it will mostly be radio silence from Intellivision until then. I definitely think the pre-order will get priority & from what I hear graphite black is the most popular base color so I think you are good. It is likely general retail that will get bumped if production is limited & again the advantage is if the retail push occurs next year that will give Intellivision plenty of time to build up the software library, work out any kinks, get things like the leaderboards implemented, etc. That will make the product a lot more mature when Jim & Janell Consumer start hearing about it. Basically I would love to see pre-orders ship 2021, Oct 10 or not.

Here in the UK on Amazon, Argos and Game you can only order the White one………….so White it is! 👍😂

• Like 3

Yo! 

I'm way behind on answering questions... just have a LOT going on this past week with E3 and everything else!

I'll make sure to carve out a few hours this weekend and go back a bunch of pages.

In the meantime...

We've been showing off a lot of our Retro inspired box artwork for some of our physical games.

Here is one that is more of a modern yet matching feel.

Dynablaster!

PMBox_Dynablaster_Cover_Illustration_01.thumb.png.54fb660a363e65e7f5e6b1c33b9514ec.png

• Like 10