Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

Intellivision's channel's copy of the Amico E3 presentation (no scrolling through the E3 live stream, yay!):

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Using NFT tech to share game libraries and associate purchases to a master account actually makes a lot of sense, even if blockchain and such is a (not wrongly) bad word to many at the moment. That plus requiring Internet to connect a controller largely makes this possible to be seamless to the end user if done right, and I'd trust them to do this right. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Using NFT tech to share game libraries and associate purchases to a master account actually makes a lot of sense, even if blockchain and such is a (not wrongly) bad word to many at the moment. That plus requiring Internet to connect a controller largely makes this possible to be seamless to the end user if done right, and I'd trust them to do this right. 

Totally agree on the 'ugh' factor of crypto currency generally, but non fungible tokens are one cool offshoot of that technology and have the potential to make electronic goods just as own-able as physical. Sure I would prefer an actual cart with the game code, but this is the 2nd best option I think.

• Like 4

I think it was a great presentation for people who doesn't know about the console, which was their main target.

I don't think showing the Care Bears for 2 seconds was an issue, Rev made it look as if they were focusing on that.

All the games look fun and many of them look pretty cool, and the only real negative point was a mistake that I believe was repeated: showing an early prototype of the soccer game that doesn't look too good.

I wonder if the baseball/soccer/insert sport reimagined games would have been better using the running man characters as in Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain. Not that I care about graphics, but there seems to be a bit of an indecision from the developers of these games compared to the rest when it comes to choosing which graphical style they will use. I hope Tommy understands what I'm trying to say, I don't think the problem is the graphical engine or lack of teraflops here, but the design, maybe a bit too generic? Just my advice. 🤏

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

No launch date announcement so I’m guessing either a delay or maybe they will get out the FE and possibly the VIP but none for sale to those who did not  pre order  ? 🤔 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

EDIT: Tommy just said in the E3 video "as long as my controller is there, my games are there as well" so it looks like I am totally off base with the "time limit" stuff:

Correct on being connected for the download. As far as how long and if it reverts back if the controller is reconnected to the base, I am really not sure. I am *guessing* because the guest console has to be connected to the Internet but the host console might not be, it would be a simple time limited system and not rely on the docking back & forth to trigger the game's availability. Could easily be wrong however. Tommy has hinted that ownership will be represented by non-fungible tokens (a rights ownership method spun out of cryptocurrency). This could theoretically mean that your ownership exists in a blockchain outside of Intellivision itself and potentially live on forever (or at least until the Internet collapses in the great bagel plague of 2097). Will be interesting to get the details on this.

I’m thinking there must be a time limit or friends could swap controllers for a month to play each others’ games. The details were laid out once, but I don’t remember them now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I thought maybe it was Tempest.  Some others in chat thought so too.

Looks more like a Gyruss remake lol. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mockduck said:

The presentation seemed clearly not aimed at us; this was about introducing the Amico to the wider gaming community, particularly the less hardcore gamer looking at E3. Might also make for easy news articles about the next "family console". I thought they did great. 

The only thing I personally thought was new to me was the ability to share your library temporarily by docking your controller. Does that mean the game data is on the controllers rather than the console? Is the Amico "box" mostly a docking station similar to the Switch? Did Tommy just not add that after docking the controller that Amico would need to download the games? Cool thing, anyway. 

I agree 💯.  We keep looking for that next level of info or another wow effect level but we really can't when it comes to this presentation.  This is meant to show that this system is NOT another PlayStation or Xbox.  It's not meant for hardcore games...neither was the original system if we look that far back again. The original Intellivision was meant for family game night when all we had were board games.  All of a sudden we're playing games on TV...gambling, sports...etc.  

That's what I got out of this.  I don't think this is a video meant to be dissapointed in.  It's the Amico sales pitch to the common household.  A smart angle in my book.  Get them into households then the fun, crazy and other stuff we hoped for will follow.  

One step at a time.  Good work by the IE team and Tommy as well.  I like it... We don't see them as competition, we seem them as compliment.  Wow... Spot on smart marketing angle!  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I’m thinking there must be a time limit or friends could swap controllers for a month to play each others’ games. The details were laid out once, but I don’t remember them now. 

I doubt there will be a time limit. If you want to let your friends borrow your controllers for a month, that's up to you. No different than letting them borrow your discs for a few months. It was once alluded to though that your friend would then be given the option to purchase those games at a discount (perhaps you'd get a coupon as well for making the referral?) So if your friend doesn't want to pay the $5-10 that the game will cost, then what kind of cheapskate friends are you hanging with??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cranker said:

No launch date announcement so I’m guessing either a delay or maybe they will get out the FE and possibly the VIP but none for sale to those who did not  pre order  ? 🤔 

We’ll hopefully find out soon.

Edited by Jeffrey Bouchard
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey Bouchard said:

We’ll hopefully find out soon.

I had so thought you were responding to this post immediately above yours. I chuckled.

53 minutes ago, vongruetz said:

I doubt there will be a time limit. If you want to let your friends borrow your controllers for a month, that's up to you. No different than letting them borrow your discs for a few months. It was once alluded to though that your friend would then be given the option to purchase those games at a discount (perhaps you'd get a coupon as well for making the referral?) So if your friend doesn't want to pay the $5-10 that the game will cost, then what kind of cheapskate friends are you hanging with??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's what Atari Creep said in his video.  How about a Gyruss/Tempest hybrid?

S.T.U.N. Runner comes to mind as well...

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I forgot about that one.

I know Tommy has mentioned before a mini game between the levels of Moon Patrol and I think that’s what that screen grab is 

• Like 5

Off topic but Just out of curiosity, had anyone picked up the Arcade1Up Pong® 4-Player Pub Table ? It looks very cool. A bit pricy and no plexiglass on top but still looks very nice !

• Like 1

I thought the E3 presentation was on point.  Explained what the Amico was, what it can do, and showed off some games.  Only got me more excited to get my hands on it, especially with that unexpected sneak peak at soccer :)  Forza Italia!!!!!

• Like 8