Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

34 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Off topic but Just out of curiosity, had anyone picked up the Arcade1Up Pong® 4-Player Pub Table ? It looks very cool. A bit pricy and no plexiglass on top but still looks very nice !

I've seen it.  It's really cool. If I did buy it, I'd get a piece of Lexan, cut it to size, drill out the holes for all the buttons and such... and mount it immediately.  With that, you'll have a permanent protection installed that will keep that artwork wear free for decades.

The artwork on those cabinets is outstanding, but the print methods leaves a lot to be desired.  It wears very fast. 

I build my own arcade machines and have seen quite a few of the 1-Up stuff.  I like their ideas, and what they're doing, but without some basic mods and protecting the art work, they don't last long.

• Like 3

It's interesting to see real excitement from people I've never heard of before.

An enthusiastic fan.

Another enthusiastic fan.

Scottish enthusiasm but mixed feelings due to price.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

I've seen it.  It's really cool. If I did buy it, I'd get a piece of Lexan, cut it to size, drill out the holes for all the buttons and such... and mount it immediately.  With that, you'll have a permanent protection installed that will keep that artwork wear free for decades.

The artwork on those cabinets is outstanding, but the print methods leaves a lot to be desired.  It wears very fast. 

I build my own arcade machines and have seen quite a few of the 1-Up stuff.  I like their ideas, and what they're doing, but without some basic mods and protecting the art work, they don't last long.

I’m wondering how difficult it would be to have someone cut a plexiglass or as you said Lexan (no idea what that is) and wonder if liquids would leak into the holes that were made for the buttons , spinners etc ? I can’t do that type of stuff myself . I would screw it up ! Lol 

Edited by Cranker

13 minutes ago, Cranker said:

I’m wondering how difficult it would be to have someone cut a plexiglass or as you said Lexan (no idea what that is) and wonder if liquids would leak into the holes that were made for the buttons , spinners etc ? I can’t do that type of stuff myself . I would screw it up ! Lol 

I realize we're going to spin off a little side conversation, but if no one else minds... 

Lexan is like cutting plywood.  You can use a fine blade jigsaw or circular saw.  It's what you should use on any arcade machine control panel instead of plexi.  It's bullet proof, bendable, cutable, drillable.. etc.  Plexi is only good if you know how to work with it.  It shatters in shardes, is very sharp...hard to drill...cracks... etc.

Anything will leak if you spill it all over, but chances will rapidly decrease with a little silicone on the edges of the buttons.  I did this with the Raiden cabinet I built for the FD Engine house I'm a member of.  Guys have split all kinds of beer and soda on it.  Wipes right off.

IMG_20210609_190741480.jpg

IMG_20210609_190734598.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here's my latest... just need to make the control panel.

I found this disaster of a Gorf cabinet and brought it back to life as a full-MAME machine.  The side-art is much larger than the original, but I like it.. so I kept it.  Just waiting on the interior panels to complete the "cockpit" look... then on to the control panel.  8 Months to complete.

what I bought... and what I made of it... LOL.  

Attach66434_20210614_201528.jpg

Attach66437_20210614_203411.jpg

IMG_20210614_201001129.jpg

IMG_20210614_200713951.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Alpha82 said:

I know Tommy has mentioned before a mini game between the levels of Moon Patrol and I think that’s what that screen grab is 

Yeah, it probably is.  I don't know why I thought it was Tempest.  Wishful thinking I guess.  But at first glance it did look like it for some reason.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I think it was a great presentation for people who doesn't know about the console, which was their main target.

I don't think showing the Care Bears for 2 seconds was an issue, Rev made it look as if they were focusing on that.

All the games look fun and many of them look pretty cool, and the only real negative point was a mistake that I believe was repeated: showing an early prototype of the soccer game that doesn't look too good.

I wonder if the baseball/soccer/insert sport reimagined games would have been better using the running man characters as in Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain. Not that I care about graphics, but there seems to be a bit of an indecision from the developers of these games compared to the rest when it comes to choosing which graphical style they will use. I hope Tommy understands what I'm trying to say, I don't think the problem is the graphical engine or lack of teraflops here, but the design, maybe a bit too generic? Just my advice. 🤏

I will reply myself to explain my point of view a bit better.

As a Spaniard, I'm a big fan of soccer games. Let's take a look at how these 20, 30 year old soccer games have a clear, distinct "art style" of their own:

Spoiler

virtua-striker-2-TEST.jpg

Virtua Striker 2 has its own style

zip_SoccerEuropeanChamps92_93_19049c9fcb

As well as Sensible Soccer (I could never get into this game, too chaotic, but it looks great)

1*5ewMvFT0_0ElhSas5pfOwQ.jpeg

This is Tecmo World Soccer 96

1*W-KlFVNKJUr3D5hphvfulg.jpeg

And this is how the game handles the feints, pausing the whole match until it's resolved

0Y5LADGYLnHeMQX-VhIF__UIjoX_5QfBqYdfbBi0

And speaking about arcades, how can we forget about Football Champ?

Nintendo_World_Cup-screenshot-1.png

But even 8 bit games had its own style, like Nintendo World Cup

Match+Day+II+(UK)+(1987)-image.jpg

Or Matchday II

3947_2.png

Libero Grande also had a style of its own, even if you only control only 1 player and it's not Amico-able

manchester-united-europe_020.png?resize=

This is Manchester United Europe, I had it in the early 90s for MS-DOS

Foto+PC+Futbol+4.0.jpg

And this is another MS-DOS title, the Spanish game PC Fútbol 4.0. Both games suck, but they look nice

Now let's take a look at the early Soccer prototype for the Amico:

image.png

And compare it to Night Stalker:

Portada_IntellivisionAmico.jpg

Yes, yes, it's unfair because it's only an early prototype. But my point is, hopefully we can help the game take one direction or another, to decide its graphical style, using this constructive criticism. By the way, it looks like teams won't have 11 players, maybe like 5-6 instead... that gives me a good feeling, some of the most fun soccer games have their own simple rules like this.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Swami said:

I’m thinking there must be a time limit or friends could swap controllers for a month to play each others’ games. The details were laid out once, but I don’t remember them now. 

Why time limit? As long as they have docked one controller at a friends house they can’t play any of their games at home, so it would basically be the same as exchanging each others complete consoles, I can now play all of your games and you can play all of mine.

• Like 1

Overall a good presentation. Pretty much not for this group as we've known a good deal of the info for quite a while. I believe Tommy even mentioned that a few times. We did get a few sprinkles of new stuff, here and there. It was nice to see all the box art for the physical games at launch. At least that is my interpretation of what that was. 

Adding the $$$ for the card looks amazingly easy.. Fingers crossed that it IS that easy.

I assume Tommy put Easter Eggs in the video.  (Maybe?). Anyone find anything yet?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cranker said:

Off topic but Just out of curiosity, had anyone picked up the Arcade1Up Pong® 4-Player Pub Table ? It looks very cool. A bit pricy and no plexiglass on top but still looks very nice !

I picked one up but haven't built it yet. Reviews seem to generally be glowing with the exception of the lack of plexiglass.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

I picked one up but haven't built it yet. Reviews seem to generally be glowing with the exception of the lack of plexiglass.

I would love to hear your thoughts . Most reviews are very positive except this one and he gives the idea that these other reviewers received perks for doing the reviews. I don’t know what to think. It’s so difficult  these days with some “paid” reviews out there. But so many positives , especially about the spinners. This review is quite negative about  the spinners and most everything else. I really want it but it’s 800$ in Canada and if the spinners have a delay that would suck.

Here is the review in question 

Edited by Cranker

5 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

Wow. Once I set it up I'll let you know what I think. I'm hoping to build it Thursday night.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Please ….feel free to message me if you want. Love to know how the spinner works , the power plug seemed to be awkward and whatever else you notice  . I am super interested and love all the games it has to offer but bad controls or laggy controls is a deal breaker 

Edited by Cranker

Please ….feel free to message me if you want. Love to know how the spinner works , the power plug seemed to be awkward and whatever else you notice  . I am super interested and love all the games it has to offer but bad controls or laggy controls is a deal breaker 
I'll post my thoughts on the forum and answer your questions too so everyone knows. I would really hope games like Warlords and Pong Sports come out on the Amico. They'd be perfect for the system.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

I'll post my thoughts on the forum and answer your questions too so everyone knows. I would really hope games like Warlords and Pong Sports come out on the Amico. They'd be perfect for the system.

Thank you ! I appreciate that . Warlords and pong (not pong sports)  are both coming ! But even though it’s coming to the Amico, playing it with a spinner (assuming it works well) is a whole different experience. That being said , I look forward to the Amico version as well !!

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

I would love to hear your thoughts . Most reviews are very positive except this one and he gives the idea that these other reviewers received perks for doing the reviews. I don’t know what to think. It’s so difficult  these days with some “paid” reviews out there. But so many positives , especially about the spinners. This review is quite negative about  the spinners and most everything else. I really want it but it’s 800$ in Canada and if the spinners have a delay that would suck.

Here is the review in question 

Wow... $600... 😳😳

I have to agree on everything he points out.  I've hand built 6 of my machines and fixed countless others.  These 1-ups are cool, and fun to collect...but this one they're asking a lot for.  The electronics in them are nothing high-end...they're good, but not arcade quality.  If you ever felt a true Wico leaf switch, verses some of these quick clicking sticks you know what I mean. 

I feel sorry for the guy.  He really looks like he got hosed and feeling some serious buyers remorse. That's hurts. Been there....

Upside, it is a unique and really nice looking cabinet.  I'd be quick to snap one up cheap on discount and really beef it up with better controls and MAME it as well.

PS... He mentions Lexan as well.  Best stuff on the planet for arcade cabinets.  They go hand-in-hand.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Wow... $600... 😳😳

I have to agree on everything he points out.  I've hand built 6 of my machines and fixed countless others.  These 1-ups are cool, and fun to collect...but this one they're asking a lot for.  The electronics in them are nothing high-end...they're good, but not arcade quality.  If you ever felt a true Wico leaf switch, verses some of these quick clicking sticks you know what I mean. 

I feel sorry for the guy.  He really looks like he got hosed and feeling some serious buyers remorse. That's hurts. Been there....

Upside, it is a unique and really nice looking cabinet.  I'd be quick to snap one up cheap on discount and really beef it up with better controls and MAME it as well.

PS... He mentions Lexan as well.  Best stuff on the planet for arcade cabinets.  They go hand-in-hand.

I assume you have used this particular one ? (the Atari pub table) 

Edited by Cranker

I've seen it but not used it. I've played around with other 1Up stand ups.  

I was really considering buying it until I saw the price.  He got it for more than I saw it which was 400, but maybe with tax and shipping it gets to 600.

Too rich for me. I can build a good, standard sized MAME cabinet for around 700.

Also...the standard cabinet material thickness is 3/4".... These 1ups are usually 1/2".  That's a little thin to take a pounding an arcade machine normally does 

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

I've seen it but not used it. I've played around with other 1Up stand ups.  

I was really considering buying it until I saw the price.  He got it for more than I saw it which was 400, but maybe with tax and shipping it gets to 600.

Too rich for me. I can build a good, standard sized MAME cabinet for around 700.

Also...the standard cabinet material thickness is 3/4".... These 1ups are usually 1/2".  That's a little thin to take a pounding an arcade machine normally does 

I just want to know if the controls work well , especially the spinners in Tempest. I wish I could build my own cabs etc …but I suck at type of stuff 😩

• Like 1

They're good enough, and that's about the best I can say.  They're not standard arcade quality, but still better than a lot of other junk out there.

I've never played the Pong table, but the other models are OK.  Middle of the road stuff.

8 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

They're good enough, and that's about the best I can say.  They're not standard arcade quality, but still better than a lot of other junk out there.

I've never played the Pong table, but the other models are OK.  Middle of the road stuff.

Apparently the pong table has better spinners than the other most of the other arcade 1up products. I wish I could test it out before buying ! 

Back to the Amico …………unfortunately, I’m not optimistic  about the October release date and getting a feeling it won’t ship in 2021. They just don’t seem ready. It seems to be about more than just the few missing components.  As usual I hope I’m wrong since that would be very bad news for IE. 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1