Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

Back to the Amico …………unfortunately, I’m not optimistic  about the October release date and getting a feeling it won’t ship in 2021. They just don’t seem ready. It seems to be about more than just the few missing components.  As usual I hope I’m wrong since that would be very bad news for IE. 

Bring out the Amico when it's darn good n' ready.

Can we all agree the last thing we would want is a half-baked console that trips and falls straight out of the gate?

horse-fail.gif.254150e8f03f4646046d10d0358eaa81.gif

you-will-never-get-a-second-chance-to-make-a-first-impression.gif.6b9f23d4846a889a73674d88b855d727.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Wow... $600... 😳😳

I feel sorry for the guy.  He really looks like he got hosed and feeling some serious buyers remorse. That's hurts. Been there....

Dude wears his heart on his sleeve. I for one would not broadcast to the world that I just pissed away $600 of my hard earned money.  There is no excuse for not doing your own research and due diligence before buying anything these days.

• Like 5

You see, I think it's important to respect everyone's opinions about the Amico, even if they're only hunches and not based in facts.

For example, 25% of Americans (and 33% of Europeans!) think the Sun orbit around the Earth, and 52% don't believe humans evolved from other species.

As I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do, however, also believe debating with some people is totally useless, as they trust their unproven feelings more than anything else because this way they feel "special". 🖖

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Polling the room here, Soccer/Football fans, is there anything that you would want to see included as a feature/function/mode of play that you think would be essential to Intellivision Soccer?

I ask for a couple reasons, one I don't know much about the game (beyond playing soccer games on various legacy consoles lol) and would be curious to see what would get fans of the game excited about for the Amico release. Two, as a Baseball fan I'm super psyched to see what integration MLB Baseball will incorporate with Topps now that that company is working with Intv., and I wonder if Soccer fans might be wishing for a similar license or partnership that would get people equally excited. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pac in Blac said:

Polling the room here, Soccer/Football fans, is there anything that you would want to see included as a feature/function/mode of play that you think would be essential to Intellivision Soccer?

I ask for a couple reasons, one I don't know much about the game (beyond playing soccer games on various legacy consoles lol) and would be curious to see what would get fans of the game excited about for the Amico release. Two, as a Baseball fan I'm super psyched to see what integration MLB Baseball will incorporate with Topps now that that company is working with Intv., and I wonder if Soccer fans might be wishing for a similar license or partnership that would get people equally excited. :)

As a Spaniard who only stopped being obsessed about watching soccer and playing soccer games a few years ago, here are my suggestions (this time about gameplay, you can see my suggestions about art style in the previous page):

- Firstly, I think it's important to understand that soccer is a game where passes are key. In basketball, precise shooting gives you the victory even if you can't play as a team. In rugby or American football, you barely can do a couple of passes before violence strikes. Soccer is more similar to hockey, but there are more spaces and much less "legal" contact between players. Shooting is also different from hockey: in hockey games, you can't really see where the goalie is and you just shoot. In soccer, you can use a different shoot or even a "death pass" (a short pass that leaves a team mate alone before the goal, often without a goalkeeper or with a badly positioned one) depending on where the goalkeeper is. The fact that a soccer game is arcade doesn't mean the gameplay can't be based on passing. This is important, as some arcade (Virtua Striker, old FIFA games, Super Sidekicks) soccer games consist in doing long passes that may or may not arrive to their destination, and then having a forward player ready to push the rival defense player that just picked up the ball to steal it and have a goal chance. I belive Amico Soccer should move away from this approach (even if sometimes can be fun) and use the 90s arcade games Tecmo World Soccer 96 (only one passing button, but it's key) or Soccer Super Stars (from Konami, has a short and long pass and they are also key to reach the goal) as examples of how the flow of the game should be.

- This is probably taken for granted in 2021, but passes should go directly to your team mates and shoots directly to the goal (unless you're in your own area, in which case shoots should just clear the ball as far away as possible). Too many retro soccer games are a disaster because they chose a different approach in this area (with perhaps only Matchday II doing it properly when it comes to "free" passes and shoots)

- Most modern soccer games have at least 3 attacking buttons (shoot, pass, long pass) and many also include a fourth one (through pass). However, this wasn't always like this:

1) Until 1996 with the appearance of Winning Eleven/International Superstar Soccer Pro for the Playstation, soccer games just didn't have a "through pass" button (usually the triangle). Even the incredibly advanced International Superstar Soccer (originally Perfect Striker in Japan) releases for SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive didn't have this option.

2) Some retro (and probably modern), more arcade soccer games don't even have a second pass button and only have single "pass" button, that makes a short or a long pass depending on your position.

3) Finally, modern FIFA games have a game mode where you play with only one button, that makes the most logical action in each case depending on the position of the player (of course, this means you sometimes want to try to shoot from a distance and the game assume you want to pass instead!).

4) Conclusion: Amico Soccer will only have around 5 players on the field and it will clearly be more arcade than simulation, so I wonder which approach should they take. Maybe 2 buttons (shoot/pass) should be enough, with the pass going to one team mate or another (and therefore turning into long or shot) depending on the pressing time/area of the screen pressed/direction on the disc. When close to the opposite corners, the pass button should do a cross looking for a header if pointed to the goal or team mates close to the goal. The pass button should also do a through pass if pointed to a team mate which is running to goal. Finally, the shoot button should do a variety of shoots depending on the position, time pressed and direction on the disc, as well as (maybe) the player stats.

- Regarding defense, usually there are two buttons, one for a sliding tackle (risking a fault or even a yellow/red card and a second one for a more subtle press to the player who has the ball. This approach should work well, as it's simple enough.

- And what about the feints? In my experience, a digital instead of analog approach works much better for feints (see early PES games with digital control or the "Feint!" moment in Tecmo World Cup 96, where the whole match is paused until the situation is resolved. This could prove to be difficult to apply in the Amico, but the directional disc is quite versatile.

So those would be my advices. Soccer games don't need 12 buttons, realistic graphics and 11 players to be fun, and I hope the Amico soccer game can achieve that. Sadly, the name Alexi Lalas International Soccer is already taken, so they will have to choose another name.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pac in Blac said:

For me, keeping it simple is the key. Basically mirroring Sensible Soccer, with basically kick, pass & header if you got the ball and side tackle if you don't. I often say I don't play sports games, but the truth is I *once* played sports games before they became simulations with a 3 page fold out instruction sheet for the controls. Simple soccer is what has me excited.

Licensing for soccer (football) seems tricky. With the overarching organized crime, er, organization FIFA being taken (and undoubtedly way too expensive) this leaves a ton of leagues around the world. The problem with picking one, like the Premier League is that is very UK based. Similarly MLS is only the US and Canada. With football being so worldwide and very fractional, having a licensing deal with a league outside your area could actually be a detriment.

One thing I would like to see, but totally as an option, is the ability to customize the team names, jersey & shorts colors & maybe even the players names and/or number so even though the game isn't licensed, you can localize it for your favorite team. A cool bonus would be a team logo builder. Since these are trademarks, you would just offer a selection of generic shields, circles & crests with a variety of animals & symbols you could layer on to build up something resembling your team's logo. Between that, the team name and the colors you could get pretty close to your team from Brighton to Brazil.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

You see, I think it's important to respect everyone's opinions about the Amico, even if they're only hunches and not based in facts.

For example, 25% of Americans (and 33% of Europeans!) think the Sun orbit around the Earth, and 52% don't believe humans evolved from other species.

This is why I'm glad I live in New Zealand.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Cranker said:

Back to the Amico …………unfortunately, I’m not optimistic  about the October release date and getting a feeling it won’t ship in 2021. They just don’t seem ready. It seems to be about more than just the few missing components.  As usual I hope I’m wrong since that would be very bad news for IE. 

Well, it was nice to take a break for a few posts... lol.

I said it from day 1... I'm willing to wait for a console that is complete and ready out of the box.  I anticipate some needed firmware updates here and there... what release hasn't done that... but I certainly won't accept something that looks rushed, poorly made, or a quick money grab junk pile.   Let them take the time they need.  It's not IE's fault were in the middle of a global shit show for computer chips.  No one ever built that into a production plan.  So I'm more than willing to wait if that's the case.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CurlyQ said:

Dude wears his heart on his sleeve. I for one would not broadcast to the world that I just pissed away $600 of my hard earned money.  There is no excuse for not doing your own research and due diligence before buying anything these days.

Agreed.... and exactly why I don't do the youtube thing... or social media... 

And of course... this factor as well...

"You did WHAT with our money?!"

tenor.gif

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Haha 6

I'm thinking along the lines that there could be a delay to the launch date; at least for the bulk of shop/retail console deliveries. I kinda feel that the lack of further talk about that 10 October date and no date being mentioned in the E3 presentation is an indicator that Intellivision are probably having a tough time sourcing the components required.

Of course, this isn't a criticism of the Intellivision team and I can imagine that they're working extremely hard to get things ready for launch. Like all folk here, I want to see the system arrive and be a big success but, right now, I get the impression that we're going to have to wait for longer than expected.

This is all pure speculation on my part, of course - I'd love to be proved wrong and to join in the celebrations if things are all lining up for October!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Without knowing the orientation of this game (a unique league license, for example), is it club or international, etc. any feature(s) that I would be interested in seeing would likely depend on that.

That said, soccer has Panini stickers, which would be the equivalent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a big(ger) channel covering the E3 Amico coverage. Impressive reply.
He definitely gets that the console is not for hard-core gamers!

• Like 9

Yo!

I know that I'm so far behind on everything in here.  Probably 10 pages at this point!  I'll catch up. I'm probably hours behind!  Just been an absolutely crazy week as I'm sure you can imagine.

And, me & my wife planned a little cabin vacation around the timing of E3 so I'm not sure how much time I'll have while I'm on the road.  Although... I'm typically up 3 or 4 hours earlier than her so maybe I'll be able to sneak in some quality AA time!

:)

In the meantime... wanted to share this article I just saw and have been sharing on social media.

We've been getting an incredibly positive reaction from the media, retailers and new fans since our E3 showcase!  And from a lot of folks who never knew about us or had casually heard about us.

Make sure to check out the hundreds upon hundreds of new and positive comments on our YouTube video of the presentation.  Really incredible! 

And only 1% of the folks who watched it (over 30,000 views at this writing) downvoted it.  :D

Here's a great article and example of what people are saying.

The article states...

"The Amico is arguably the most interesting announcement to come out of E3 this year, but it is a welcome one since it is the perfect device for people to easily share their love of gaming with those around them."

https://www.cgmagonline.com/2021/06/14/intellivision-amico/

• Like 17

@justclaws I just realized you're now a mod... congratulations! And...

Spoiler

By the way, that channel is not really that big... I was expecting some kind of Game Sack, but most new videos are under 1K views. It's probably one of those channels that has seen better days. Still, Tommy said that they didn't really need big youtubers until a bit later. Also, I'm afraid the biggest youtubers I follow probably won't cover the Amico until 2040 or so (if they're still around), when it's totally retro instead of retro inspired.

(Interestingly, I'm a retro Sony/MS-DOS/Amstrad fan, but most of my favorite youtubers are retro Sega fans. Including Game Sack, even if he also covers Nintendo, NEC and others)

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 5

This one from Tommy's friend and co-host from Electric Playground, Vic.
I watched this on the day.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

@justclaws I just realized you're now a mod... congratulations! And...

Just to clarify for others, I'm not fully a mod for this forum. I seem to have (a few) inherited superpowers.
(My no#1 real-life superpower is the ability to tangle cables, remotely. It's never been useful to-date, but...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

"You did WHAT with our money?!"

tenor.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you-nailed-it-coffee-mug.jpg.077f81c1faeb590de8bf7827b7930abe.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 6/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, CurlyQ said:

intellivision-amico-e3-presentation-2021.thumb.png.b03e700f7b4024aa3f3f1372068149cf.png

@CurlyQ
Since people only either LOVE or HATE the Amico, please, add to your list, my request for a MARMITE edition!
For those who don't know what Marmite is, check Wikipedia, but in simple terms, it's a DELICIOUS wonder! 🙂
The Australians have something similar, called Vegemite, which with all due respect, is horrible. Life is cruel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think it's unlikely that the Amico comes out this year, as much as I want it to.  As long as we get some more information about the launch games and also the physical media soon, I'm fine with waiting until the system is ready to launch the right way.  Maybe April 2022 is a more realistic goal.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noah98 said:

I think it's unlikely that the Amico comes out this year, as much as I want it to.  As long as we get some more information about the launch games and also the physical media soon, I'm fine with waiting until the system is ready to launch the right way.  Maybe April 2022 is a more realistic goal.  

Nooooooooooo 😂 

• Haha 1

It looks like either Italy or the Netherlands will win the Euro this time. I hope it's the Netherlands (I don't cheer for my own country, Spain, for political reasons, since a couple of years ago, which is ironic because I cried as a child when they lost and celebrated their World Cup and Euros in 2008-2012).

Which European nation are you guys cheering for? (Yes, this is another offtopic, even if it's slightly Amico-related).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

@CurlyQ
Since people only either LOVE or HATE the Amico, please, add to your list, my request for a MARMITE edition!
For those who don't know what Marmite is, check Wikipedia, but in simple terms, it's a DELICIOUS wonder! 🙂
The Australians have something similar, called Vegemite, which with all due respect, is horrible. Life is cruel.

Thats ridiculous. Vegemite is vastly superior to the  flavourless Marmite. There is also Promite which like Marmite is also rather bland.

Vegemite rocks!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1