Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico - Fun Amico Conversations

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

That’s how I feel. I have been nothing but positive about this project from the start but I feel like I can’t just keep ignoring the growing number of issues. The controls don’t seem ready  , the games don’t seem finished, we don’t even see any proper gameplay demos and to be honest the E3 video and the updated games video were both very very weak and showed almost no progress  etc it just seems to be a mess. I will always have hope and hope I’m wrong. This is the only console I’m interested in. Sometimes I feel too invested in this project. I would be incredibly disappointed if something happens that prevents it from

coming out.

The people that actually played it back in April said the Amico controls and games felt ready.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrudgeQ said:

From social media Tommy was busy the last few weeks and then on a really bad cell connection vacation last week (see below), so not much publicly going on. However if the rumors from Amico After Dark are true there is going to be another Amico hands-on showing sometime in July, plus Tommy said recently he may be going to England for another demo, so it sounds like we are entering into a public show and tell phase of getting people gaming time with the system.

EF7CA00E-CBAB-4B55-8251-A47165BB5E47.jpeg

Hope he is gathering inspiration for White Water! for Amico. ;)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

The people that actually played it back in April said the Amico controls and games felt ready.

I heard the same but there are so many signs that would have most people  believe that’s not the case. I’m not trying to be negative either but If everything is so ready then their E3 video and updated games video make no sense to me. 

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cranker said:

This is the quietest I have ever seen this forum 🤫 

The "calm" before the "storm?"  Whatever that ends up being, good or bad...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigdaddygamestudio said:

thats not how companies work. People working in communications, company outreach, marketing are not concerned with sourcing material.  This isnt a one man operation, they can indeed walk and chew gum at the same time, and if they are going to be successful, they will need to do many many things at the same time. 

I will stand corrected on using the words “all actions”. I was thinking along the lines of the management team. My belief is they need to elevate getting consoles out above all other functions. Yes, I know companies need to do many functions at once, and would not survive doing only one thing. I also know that a start-up that is delayed by more than a year and counting on generating revenue has a quickly shrinking window. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 5:47 AM, Oldfool said:

I have to respectfully disagree. It can be debated whether or not should have targeted markets separately, but they are where they are now, and they need to be all hands on deck at working on a release. Not worrying about answering small questions from a small group of both fanatics and haters, not making game videos with incremental progress for everyone to debate. They need all actions to be procuring and building machines so they can get consoles out to begin revenue streams. That is the most important “for sure” in my opinion. 

I agree on incremental progress- they should be past that now and show full, completed game footage.  At least for a few titles.  What's funny is you use "all hands on deck" as the reason not to address any of these concerns, but Tommy has been on vacation.  Which is totally fine, but you can't use the "too busy getting everything ready" excuse if you are vacationing.  Other people work there- throw someone down in front of a TV and play a game for 30 minutes, using the controller.  Cornhole office tournament! Upload it to Youtube.  Bam.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Other people work there- throw someone down in front of a TV and play a game for 30 minutes, using the controller.  Cornhole office tournament! Upload it to Youtube.  Bam.  

I'd like to see that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Oldfool said:

I also know that a start-up that is delayed by more than a year and counting on generating revenue has a quickly shrinking window.

I agree, they are really in a tough spot right now.

oh and if by some chance they do get the console manufactured in decent number 300k or more, they now have to deal with this

https://kotaku.com/shipping-prices-for-board-games-have-gone-through-the-r-1847190492

Edited by bigdaddygamestudio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cranker said:

I heard the same but there are so many signs that would have most people  believe that’s not the case. I’m not trying to be negative either but If everything is so ready then their E3 video and updated games video make no sense to me. 

Like what,  what signs?

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

I agree on incremental progress- they should be past that now and show full, completed game footage.  At least for a few titles.  What's funny is you use "all hands on deck" as the reason not to address any of these concerns, but Tommy has been on vacation.  Which is totally fine, but you can't use the "too busy getting everything ready" excuse if you are vacationing.  Other people work there- throw someone down in front of a TV and play a game for 30 minutes, using the controller.  Cornhole office tournament! Upload it to Youtube.  Bam.  

I know Amico watching has become a hobby for people but how would this benefit IE at this time.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Like what,  what signs?

I know Amico watching has become a hobby for people but how would this benefit IE at this time.

Mostly that the controllers don’t seem finalized and the pack in games don’t seem complete much less the other launch games. The new promo videos don’t give me any confidence that everything is ready to go assuming they get the few components that are missing. After following the project the whole way it just seems like progress needed for a launch this year is not happening. I might be wrong of course ! I’m not running IE but as I have said before, I think there are other issues besides the missing components that would prevent an October launch. It’s just an overall feeling I get. I would rather be wrong.

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Like what,  what signs?

It might not benefit IE at all (I don't know the ins and outs of the business), it's just my feedback and what I'd like to see, to get me invested in the console.  I am not all that fussed if they have to delay, I just want to see some complete games and controller usage.  It would push me to supporting the console.  Bomb Squad looked like it could be a fun multiplayer game- show me a Bomb Squad session :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cranker said:

This is the quietest I have ever seen this forum 🤫 

Well, that didn't last. 🙂

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Pac in Blac said:

Hope he is gathering inspiration for White Water! for Amico. ;)

Yes White Water! an Intellivision classic that needs some love. The river action was pretty good but I never got the forest find the flag, gold hunt with the ax throwing dude/statue. Definitely needs a re-imaging.

unnamed.gif.3c6e6b2e143d2582c8d70ccec4d74d93.gif

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3e2683a9608fa18057178ff1937473bf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I mean, no way on the 10/10 launch, seems so unlikely. Gonna say next Spring for release. 

That’s my guess too but I’m still hoping for  a limited release this year maybe in December.

Edited by Cranker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what to make of this article:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/what-the-hecks-an-intellivision-amico-consoles-leaky-dev-portal-offers-hints/

There are some factual mistakes made. For one thing, they do call it a handheld. What makes this an interesting read is that they may have the real Specs. While we knew them for the most part. It looks like it goes into detail.  I was not expecting a powerhouse. I don't think anyone was. According to them Snapdragon that is being used is from a chipset introduced in 2018. (The 624) If my internet sleuthing is correct. Also it looks like it may have 3GB of RAM and not 2. At least the stock one. Maybe it's been customized? I know it's apples and oranges,  and the Switch is way more powerful, to add context the X1 (the non customized SOC in Switch) was introduced in mid 2005. The Switch came out 2017. It was under-powered when introduced. I still love it. I have one about a foot away from the keyboard I'm typing on... Will I get a "Pro" when it's introduced? Almost assuredly.  

Even if most of it is true, I play the heck out of my systems that are way less capable. As long as the games are fun. I'll be happy. That is what we are all aiming for... Right?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, woobman said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/what-the-hecks-an-intellivision-amico-consoles-leaky-dev-portal-offers-hints/

There are some factual mistakes made. For one thing, they do call it a handheld. What makes this an interesting read is that they may have the real Specs. While we knew them for the most part. It looks like it goes into detail.  I was not expecting a powerhouse. I don't think anyone was. According to them Snapdragon that is being used is from a chipset introduced in 2018. (The 624) If my internet sleuthing is correct. Also it looks like it may have 3GB of RAM and not 2. At least the stock one. Maybe it's been customized? I know it's apples and oranges,  and the Switch is way more powerful, to add context the X1 (the non customized SOC in Switch) was introduced in mid 2005. The Switch came out 2017. It was under-powered when introduced. I still love it. I have one about a foot away from the keyboard I'm typing on... Will I get a "Pro" when it's introduced? Almost assuredly.imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68  

Even if most of it is true, I play the heck out of my systems that are way less capable. As long as the games are fun. I'll be happy. That is what we are all aiming for... Right?

Funny, I was just reading this article right before coming here. My thing is if Amico is running the game well, no issues affecting the gameplay, I'm good. I have faith in this company and the quality control they are fighting for that will show in the final product(s). We can argue all day whether these specs are supposed "warning signs" or not but without a final, tested, 100% ready-to-go product in hand, we just won't know for sure.

1 hour ago, GrudgeQ said:

Yes White Water! an Intellivision classic that needs some love. The river action was pretty good but I never got the forest find the flag, gold hunt with the ax throwing dude/statue. Definitely needs a re-imaging.

unnamed.gif.3c6e6b2e143d2582c8d70ccec4d74d93.gif

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3e2683a9608fa18057178ff1937473bf.jpg

Agreed! I have only played on emulators and struggled with the controls so I'm excited to see a newer take. Will be a fun one to see redone for sure!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Pac in Blac said:

Funny, I was just reading this article right before coming here. My thing is if Amico is running the game well, no issues affecting the gameplay, I'm good. I have faith in this company and the quality control they are fighting for that will show in the final product(s). We can argue all day whether these specs are supposed "warning signs" or not but without a final, tested, 100% ready-to-go product in hand, we just won't know for sure.

Agreed! I have only played on emulators and struggled with the controls so I'm excited to see a newer take. Will be a fun one to see redone for sure!

Yeah I'm not bothered about specs at all, for anything.  As long as everything is smooth and there is no lag, I don't care what chips are used for what.  If it keeps costs down, awesome.  I just wanna see the games!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, woobman said:

There are some factual mistakes made. For one thing, they do call it a handheld. What makes this an interesting read is that they may have the real Specs. While we knew them for the most part. It looks like it goes into detail.  I was not expecting a powerhouse. I don't think anyone was. According to them Snapdragon that is being used is from a chipset introduced in 2018. (The 624) If my internet sleuthing is correct. Also it looks like it may have 3GB of RAM and not 2. At least the stock one. Maybe it's been customized? I know it's apples and oranges,  and the Switch is way more powerful, to add context the X1 (the non customized SOC in Switch) was introduced in mid 2005. The Switch came out 2017. It was under-powered when introduced. I still love it. I have one about a foot away from the keyboard I'm typing on... Will I get a "Pro" when it's introduced? Almost assuredly.imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68  

That's not an article. It's a hit piece. The question is why? An outlet doesn't commission a hit piece like that unless there's some sort of agenda behind it. The author was very obviously ill informed as to what Amico is, but very informed on technical specifications. If they have issues, why not ask Tommy what their concerns are? He's obviously not shy about answering questions. Did they try to talk to actual developers? It doesn't seem so. Instead, they just go through leaked specs and tear it apart with nothing but negative comments. It's just strange as to why a website like Arstechnica would spend so much time tearing it down? Is it because they tend to focus on the newest, fastest, greatest tech devices? Or is there something else at play? I don't know.

What I do know is that the some of the greatest innovations of the last 100 years were mocked and laughed at by their peers. The iPhone lacked a physical keyboard and was therefore inferior to its competitors. What did Apple know that Motorola didn't... nothing! Companies invested in their successful business model can never be disrupted. Just ask Kodak how that's working out for them. I think Intellivision is actually starting to scare somebody, and sites like Arstechnica are doing the dirty work to try and kill it. 

If the author wanted to know "What the heck's an Intellivision Amico" @Tommy Tallarico would have not only told them, but would have showed them what it is in great detail. Again, this isn't journalism, it's a hit piece.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, vongruetz said:

That's not an article. It's a hit piece. The question is why? An outlet doesn't commission a hit piece like that unless there's some sort of agenda behind it. The author was very obviously ill informed as to what Amico is, but very informed on technical specifications. If they have issues, why not ask Tommy what their concerns are? He's obviously not shy about answering questions. Did they try to talk to actual developers? It doesn't seem so. Instead, they just go through leaked specs and tear it apart with nothing but negative comments. It's just strange as to why a website like Arstechnica would spend so much time tearing it down? Is it because they tend to focus on the newest, fastest, greatest tech devices? Or is there something else at play? I don't know.

What I do know is that the some of the greatest innovations of the last 100 years were mocked and laughed at by their peers. The iPhone lacked a physical keyboard and was therefore inferior to its competitors. What did Apple know that Motorola didn't... nothing! Companies invested in their successful business model can never be disrupted. Just ask Kodak how that's working out for them. I think Intellivision is actually starting to scare somebody, and sites like Arstechnica are doing the dirty work to try and kill it. 

If the author wanted to know "What the heck's an Intellivision Amico" @Tommy Tallarico would have not only told them, but would have showed them what it is in great detail. Again, this isn't journalism, it's a hit piece.

I just gotta say, I bet when the "Sources with knowledge about Amico" read the part about the "lukewarm Wii U concept", they probably responded to them "Hey, we didn't ask you to bash Nintendo! That's a big no-no in our cult!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I just gotta say, I bet when the "Sources with knowledge about Amico" read the part about the "lukewarm Wii U concept", they probably responded to them "Hey, we didn't ask you to bash Nintendo! That's a big no-no in our cult!"

I dunno man, its a bit of a stretch to imply that Nintendo is scared of the Amico so is paying off a respected site to "kill it".  I actually didn't think it was that bad of an article, because no one has ever said (including Tommy) that this was a hi tech piece of kit.  It's always been affordable, fun over realism, etc, so I didn't really see any issue with the article.  Their biggest issue seemed to be the framerates and graphic limits on the controller but, again, no one has ever claimed this was be a Wii U style gamepad.  I figured it was a more fancy Dreamcast type bit, and was fine with that.

• Like 5